News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

Isn't that last year's "news"?
I'm sure someone close to the project mentioned it and was soundly chastised with people saying that just doesn't happen on a project like this?
I thought what was said last year had nothing to do with TRON and was instead someone claiming that, when laying the new synthetic ties, they had raised the level of the track too high for one of the existing tunnels. This was summarily dismissed by most in the know, as I recall.

JoeCamel

I thought what was said last year had nothing to do with TRON and was instead someone claiming that, when laying the new synthetic ties, they had raised the level of the track too high for one of the existing tunnels. This was summarily dismissed by most in the know, as I recall.
I thought it was for this and the actual tunnel was redesigned, one person asked about the new stack height so maybe they trimmed the stack and lowered the tunnel. Haven't seen any pics of demo in the area so maybe a redesign of the tunnel and roadbed to squeeze out a few inches. Can't wait to see if the guests get that real old timey feel of being in an open car behind a diesel or coal burner. Maybe this smells more like fries from the biodiesel.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Take it with a grain of salt, but there’s a rumor that the new roadbed/track was built up higher than normal and now the WDWRR can’t clear one of the tunnels. (not sure if it’s Pirates or Splash)

JoeCamel

If they ordered the wrong size replacement ties it may have been but the clearance in the tunnel is not a matter of an inch or two and standard ties are all the same right? Wood, concrete or synthetic I don't know how much credence I give to existing tunnels being an issue.

eta: or did they pour a concrete roadbed to put the ties on changing the grade?
Nah, I don't think so.

James Alucobond

If they ordered the wrong size replacement ties it may have been but the clearance in the tunnel is not a matter of an inch or two and standard ties are all the same right? Wood, concrete or synthetic I don't know how much credence I give to existing tunnels being an issue.

Nah, I don't think so.
I don't think anyone actually believes this is the case. Just pointing out that the discussion last year was about other tunnels, so if this represents the source for the claim made about the TRON tunnel in the video posted on the previous page, it's based on a misunderstanding.

JoeCamel

I don't think anyone actually believes this is the case. Just pointing out that the discussion last year was about other tunnels, so if this represents the source for the claim made about the TRON tunnel in the video posted on the previous page, it's based on a misunderstanding.
Probably mine

celluloid

Not sure if I’m alone in this thought but I’m more excited for the railroad to reopen than the actual ride. I’m over being excited for it. Eventually your excitement runs out when it take 6 years to build a clone.

Same. Magic Kingdom without a Railroad has been sad. It is also a people eater and one of the great kinetic energies to atmosphere.

Andrew M

Nah, I don't think so.

The ties are all generally the same size, an inch or two wouldn't make a big difference. What I could see happening is if they significantly rebuilt the roadbed and weren't paying attention by how much. An extra 9-12" of sub-base could definitely cause this and may not have been apparent to the naked eye without constantly surveying the site.

JoeCamel

The ties are all generally the same size, an inch or two wouldn't make a big difference. What I could see happening is if they significantly rebuilt the roadbed and weren't paying attention by how much. An extra 9-12" of sub-base could definitely cause this and may not have been apparent to the naked eye without constantly surveying the site.
I would think in the tunnel/overpass areas it would be a given that the base goes back as it was, inexplicable how that could happen.
In the Tron tunnel it would have been rendered in 3D and if someone input a wrong measurement it may have thrown off the whole modeling so I could see a problem there

Andrew M

I would think in the tunnel/overpass areas it would be a given that the base goes back as it was, inexplicable how that could happen.
In the Tron tunnel it would have been rendered in 3D and if someone input a wrong measurement it may have thrown off the whole modeling so I could see a problem there
As a civil engineer I completely agree. However, I've watched plenty of less-than-competent construction crews do things that completely defy logic so I wouldn't think it's out of the question.

I can also see them not catching the issue with Tron if it is an off-the-shelf design from Shanghai.

lazyboy97o

As a civil engineer I completely agree. However, I've watched plenty of less-than-competent construction crews do things that completely defy logic so I wouldn't think it's out of the question.

I can also see them not catching the issue with Tron if it is an off-the-shelf design from Shanghai.
It’s only an “off-the-shelf design” in that they’re trying to copy Shanghai as close as possible. Im not saying stupid doesn’t happen but we’re talking about years of missing a major coordination issue that should have been modeled with different aspects modeled by different disciplines. Knowing the clearance envelope is a major aspect of attraction building.

The whole thing sounds like the claims that they forgot to account for the sound of Test Track in the design of Space 200 which bubbled up as block was just starting to be placed.

Andrew M

It’s only an “off-the-shelf design” in that they’re trying to copy Shanghai as close as possible. Im not saying stupid doesn’t happen but we’re talking about years of missing a major coordination issue that should have been modeled with different aspects modeled by different disciplines. Knowing the clearance envelope is a major aspect of attraction building.

The whole thing sounds like the claims that they forgot to account for the sound of Test Track in the design of Space 200 which bubbled up as block was just starting to be placed.
Don't get me wrong, I agree there is no way a project of this size should have gotten to ground breaking with an issue like this. That's why I initially doubted that it was true, and unless I missed something it's still nothing more than a rumor. However, I don't think it's completely out of the question. I've also seen major construction projects here in NYC where connecting 48" watermains ended up being 5' apart due to an error in the survey on one phase of the project.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom