News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To anyone worried about the bilingual audio, the Epcot Experience preview uses the bilingual audio and it uses almost all of the spoken works for the attraction. I haven't heard anyone complaining about not being able to understand it, so I think we're good.
Perfectly understandable!

NateD1226

Well partially. Currently there’s a trend/hype going around of a Ratatouille musical that was created by users on TikTok. Fans have been clamoring for Disney to “acknowledge” it and with this post, they finally did. It’s good PR and recognition that a ride is coming for those who didn’t know, and judging from the comments — plenty did not know such ride is coming to Epcot soon.

Disney does post some other cool stuff on their TikTok account as I mentioned in my previous reply above.
For example this, they did an exclusive on installing the marque:

Or this, which showcases the MK and HS decorations installations overnight:
Even the Pixar Twitter account is getting in on the fun.

Giss Neric

And you would assume wrong (unless you count this forum). No Facebook, Twitter, TikTok here, and amazingly, I still function everyday without that validation. I know what the platforms are, what I do not know is, what the point of it all is. Personally, I do not find entertainment in watching somebody dance on a terribly recorded phone video. I am not isolated from society by not contributing to social media nonsense, I just choose to not leave any breadcrumbs of my life out there, which is working to my advantage.

My point was, I question the effectiveness of social media marketing.
What about your kids? You restrict them from doing what 90% of their peers are doing then?

jmuboy

To anyone worried about the bilingual audio, the Epcot Experience preview uses the bilingual audio and it uses almost all of the spoken works for the attraction. I haven't heard anyone complaining about not being able to understand it, so I think we're good.
Again - I think the bilingual piece is a great piece of making this even more a simple cultural experience. It’s what the world showcase is about. I’m thrilled the original audio from DLP is being used.

EricsBiscuit

Again - I think the bilingual piece is a great piece of making this even more a simple cultural experience. It’s what the world showcase is about. I’m thrilled the original audio from DLP is being used.
I disagree. IMO it’s a cost cut that will not play well with most people because most people don’t speak French. It’s nothing against the French language. It’s just that one should tailor their experience to their customers. The customers speak mostly English? Then make it in English.

Giss Neric

I disagree. IMO it’s a cost cut that will not play well with most people because most people don’t speak French. It’s nothing against the French language. It’s just that one should tailor their experience to their customers. The customers speak mostly English? Then make it in English.
Although I know this is a clever excuse for cost cutting, the ride is after all in the France Pavilion. It would make sense to make the ride bilingual as it adds to the immersion. Also if you watch a POV of the ride, the French speaking parts is like 10-20% only.

EricsBiscuit

Although I know this is a clever excuse for cost cutting, the ride is after all in the France Pavilion. It would make sense to make the ride bilingual as it adds to the immersion. Also if you watch a POV of the ride, the French speaking parts is like 10-20% only.
I think immersion is all right to an extent. At some point you just have to accept that it’s a theme park and people expect English in America. I’ve been on Rat before. It’s an awesome ride. I rode it with the expectation that I would find out what the hell they were saying in a couple years. Needless to say, I am now sad.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You don’t need to understand French to understand the ride. Like the majority of DLP attractions it’s bilingual.

Last edited:

orky8

I'm very disappointed they are not redoing the ride fully into English. I say that because having been on Ratatouille in Paris, and it being my first trackless ride at the time for which I was very excited, I got off the ride feeling very meh. I was hoping part of the reason was because it's hard to emotionally connect when you can only understand 1/2 of what is being said. It's also possible that I felt that way b/c the ride itself is just not that good. First, and foremost, keeping it in French, when the vast majority of the Epcot audience doesn't speak French, makes no sense (except to save costs). It's not like I watch the movie Ratatouille in French because I want it to be authentic (and is there really such thing as an authentic talking rat that pulls someone's hair like a puppet?).

I think the comparisons to B&TB aren't accurate either. First, having watched the videos for B&TB, I think that ride is far superior to Ratatouille. But also, as I said in that thread when that ride first came out, I don't think the language is as much a barrier when it's just a storybook ride of music because as soon as you (or at least I) hear that music, you sing every word in your head in English. Ratatouille you have no idea what the literal translation of what is being said is, as it's just dialogue in a helter-skelter ride. Someone is yelling at you in French, which I guess is authentic if you've ever been to France (I kid, I kid). C'est la vie.

FigmentFan82

My daughter loves Fancy Nancy, who is obsessed with Paris and French culture and uses many French words in the show and books. Maybe Nancy could be an ambassador for the French language

UNCgolf

You’re a rat getting chased around a kitchen. What else is there to know?

Yeah, based on watching a ride video (which doesn't give you the complete picture, I know) I don't see why it even matters that the ride is bilingual. The dialogue isn't really important; it's not like Spaceship Earth where the narration is a major part of the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom