News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

DisneyCane

Just curious, what would be some of your examples of D tickets or other C tickets? I generally thought most people considered RAT a D
I'd consider something like TS:MM a D ticket because of the interactive element at each screen. I'd even say Philharmagic (barely) because of the classic songs.

The reason I consider RAT a C and not a D is that the physical sets don't match the visuals on the screens at all from a color and lighting perspective and the screen segments lose the immersion because without trying you can see the floor before the screen.

On Soarin' or FoP, you can see the screen edge if you look for it, but if you don't, you are fully immersed in the image.

Tom Morrow

Yep, the screens in Ratatouille are very, very badly implemented. There is room for some improvement if they reduced the brightness of the screens by quite a bit. As they are, they are extremely bright which throws harsh lighting across the physical sets and visible floors, making the sets and ride track area feel too open and artificial and the screens feeling like giant bright TVs in a dark room.

EricsBiscuit

Just to prattle on, I have very mixed feelings about the trackless dark ride system WDW has been enamored with lately. I’ve always felt strongly that dark rides are akin to films, with the audience being moved instead of the camera, allowing for modified versions of many film techniques - zooms, slow reveals, dolly shots, tracking shots, etc. This is the major reason I feel interactive rides are almost universally doomed to failure.

In this light, the trackless system is very problematic. The need to move multiple cars in the same space usually results in wider views and less control over the guests line of sight. The most egregious example of the problems this creates is B&B in Tokyo, which often devolves into a bunch of carts wandering around a warehouse floor. The temptation seems to be to solve this by planting cars in from of individual cubby screens - see the waterfall in MMRR or several parts of Rat - but this is basically just compensating for the rides inability to create physical cinematic effects by literally turning it into a stationary theatre watching a cinematic segment. In RotR this lack of precise control results in a diminished sense of tension and easily missed elements - I completely missed the Finn AA on first ride through and, even after the location was explained to me, almost did so the second time. On MMRR, which I absolutely love, this is a huge problem, as guests in certain cars miss entire effects and zoom through certain rooms without being able to appreciate them.

Basically, I think the WDW trackless system has a huge amount of drawbacks. It seems inferior to the old Doom Buggies and particularly the modern Scoop, which are much more accommodating to the cinematic nature of theme park attractions.
Their best ride systems are definitely Shanghai Pirates and the EMV by far. And it’s precisely because you can do everything a dark ride should do without any guests losing out on certain effects.

Nthderivative

How long has the wait been running for VQ once your boarding group is called?

I've ridden it twice with the VQ, one was last month before Lightning lane. I got group 160ish at 1pm,which it was called around 9pm with a 45 min wait. A few days ago I was group 99, which I got at 7:01. the group was called around 6:30 and I ended up waiting roughly 50 minutes.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yep, the screens in Ratatouille are very, very badly implemented. There is room for some improvement if they reduced the brightness of the screens by quite a bit. As they are, they are extremely bright which throws harsh lighting across the physical sets and visible floors, making the sets and ride track area feel too open and artificial and the screens feeling like giant bright TVs in a dark room.
I always wondered if this could be remedied by just having larger screen scenes fade out at the edges becoming less saturated, less detailed and darker gradually fading to black to better blend with the black flooring and black HVAC ceiling. A motion blur vinyette -like effect.

DisneyCane

How long has the wait been running for VQ once your boarding group is called?
I didn't check precisely but it felt long and was well over a half an hour. I don't expect instant access but a VQ to enter a long standby line kind of defeats the purpose.

It's really just a capacity limiter. I doubt the wait would be much different if they gave you an "access pass" instead of a specific return time and just let you enter the line whenever you want during the day.

castlecake2.0

I didn't check precisely but it felt long and was well over a half an hour. I don't expect instant access but a VQ to enter a long standby line kind of defeats the purpose.

It's really just a capacity limiter. I doubt the wait would be much different if they gave you an "access pass" instead of a specific return time and just let you enter the line whenever you want during the day.
That’s it exactly. It’s not really meant to give you a shorter wait, it’s to make sure the wait isnt longer than what the queue can hold. I’m assuming the negative feedback from not being able to get a boarding group is probably similar to what they’d get with a 3 hour wait all day so might as well not have a line snaking to the UK and causing crowd control issues

bubbles1812

We waited 45 minutes after already waiting quite a long time virtually. Which is why we ended up buying LL for the next day. 😐 I did see estimated wait times for the actual queue be up to 60 minutes.

michmousefan

Rode it a couple of times last week with virtual queue both times. On Monday last week there were lots of breakdowns and our 1pm group wasn't actually called until 7:45pm. On Friday the VQ entry was only about an hour later than the original estimate. On Monday he wait was close to an hour, but the Friday wait was closer to 25 min.

SteveAZee

Hmmm... I was expecting garland filled with rat traps and melted cheese and half-eaten slices of pizza...
pizza-rat-gif.gif

Merry Christmas.

RSoxNo1

I just realized that I'm probably going to face issues getting on Remy if I park hop.

The primary date in question is 11/29. Park opens at 11 AM and we're staying off property. We are starting the day at DHS. The plan was to just book an individual Lightning Lane selection, but I forgot about the rule that the park has to be open to book. I'm guessing they will be mostly gone by 11 AM?

DCBaker

Premium Member
I just realized that I'm probably going to face issues getting on Remy if I park hop.

The primary date in question is 11/29. Park opens at 11 AM and we're staying off property. We are starting the day at DHS. The plan was to just book an individual Lightning Lane selection, but I forgot about the rule that the park has to be open to book. I'm guessing they will be mostly gone by 11 AM?

Check over the next few days and see how long Remy remains open - at 10am today, Remy had ILLs available starting around 3:30pm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom