Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

ImperfectPixie

Imagineering is dead.
I wouldn't say that. Lost their way a bit, sure. Let's not forget that before anything is fabricated, it has to be approved. Who is in charge of approvals may be the reason there seem to be so many misses. Then there's the person who chooses which design will be fabricated to begin with...there's lots of people and phases involved, and growing pains along the way are definitely a "thing" when it comes to design/fabrication teams.

Incomudro

They're not very good -- that's where the "relatively modern" part of my comment came from. Most of it doesn't look anything like the time period the a ride references (or used to?).
A heck of a lot more woman represented there than would have been involved in such a jungle cruise given the time frame the cruise is supposed to take place in.

JoeCamel

A heck of a lot more woman represented there than would have been involved in such a jungle cruise given the time frame the cruise is supposed to take place in.
And that is what Imagineering thinks is so special about this. Like Miss Kitty in the old west she succeeded in a man's world

owlsandcoffee

And that is what Imagineering thinks is so special about this. Like Miss Kitty in the old west she succeeded in a man's world
I think it's just a matter of lack of creativity. They've done the same thing with other SEA-adjacent characters. Ya just see a lot of pictures of them plastered all over the place. Doesn't really replace theming and experiential stories.

LittleBuford

That's not the issue. If we can accept a Pirates of the Caribbean with almost no Black people, I don't see why we can't suspend our demographic disbelief when it comes to the Jungle Cruise. The problem is that they haven't captured the period look.

ImperfectPixie

That's not the issue. If we can accept a Pirates of the Caribbean with almost no Black people, I don't see why we can't suspend our demographic disbelief when it comes to the Jungle Cruise. The problem is that they haven't captured the period look.
Or followed through with theming. A outdoor advertising mural like the one with the woman wouldn't be painted on a perfectly smooth board and framed in the time period and place Jungle Cruise is supposed to be in.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

The mural feels off but I can’t tell why. I think the other stuff looks out of place because it looks so new and fresh compared to what was probably almost 50 year old props there before. I’m sure the florida humidity will start to do its thing and âge them soon.

ImperfectPixie

The mural feels off but I can’t tell why. I think the other stuff looks out of place because it looks so new and fresh compared to what was probably almost 50 year old props there before. I’m sure the florida humidity will start to do its thing and âge them soon.
It's a combination of the materials used for the mural as well as the style.

ETA: Advertising of the 1930s focused more heavily on text - even when there were people and landscaping, etc. included in them. It also likely would have been painted directly on the building, rather than be a separate board that's framed - especially where Jungle Cruise is supposed to take place.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Here are some samples of what it should be mimicking...

castlecake2.0

It's a combination of the materials used for the mural as well as the style.

ETA: Advertising of the 1930s focused more heavily on text - even when there were people and landscaping, etc. included in them. It also likely would have been painted directly on the building, rather than be a separate board that's framed - especially where Jungle Cruise is supposed to take place.
Yah I see what you’re saying. 1) it looks a little too bold/fresh but I think the elements will take care of that. 2) looks too digitally produced instead of hand painted.

ImperfectPixie

Yah I see what you’re saying. 1) it looks a little too bold/fresh but I think the elements will take care of that. 2) looks too digitally produced instead of hand painted.
There's also these...which are from the era in which Jungle Cruise takes place as well. They should have gone for a look that was a cross of the advertisements below with the posters I linked to upthread. I'm thinking sort of old-fashioned cigar-box style.

mural.jpg

Animaniac93-98

Some things I noticed on my cruise:

First the queue loop: It's the same in DLR and WDW now. Lots of S.E.A. references including the DisneySea Tower of Terror. I believe the actual songs in the loop are the same ones from Disneyland's prior loop. Another unfortunate case of homogenizing the two American castle parks. I really liked the prior MK loop.

The giant rubber spider in the temple is gone! I thought I had just missed it, but found a recent ride through and it's not there (it was earlier this year, confirmed that by looking at another video). The spider's a true MK star, given that the mold was also used in Haunted Mansion and Snow White's Adventure. Now its gone from all 3. :(

Also, I don't know if its the movie, the changes or both, but the ride seemed much more popular this trip compared to previous ones.

Dear Prudence

Also, I don't know if its the movie, the changes or both, but the ride seemed much more popular this trip compared to previous ones.
I was at Disneyland last month, and it was so popular (on top of it breaking down constantly from the heat), I only got to ride it once in 4 days. I liked the changes a lot. The new Skipper jokes made me legitimately laugh out loud (the one about PR and paperwork, especially). I think the refresh as made people interested in an attraction that they might largely ignore.

Obobru

It's that the parks are busy and most of the good rides now need a re-mortgage of your home to ride them so people are going on anything they can get on to make it feel they didn't get totally scammed buying a ticket to the park and managed to ride some rides even if they were better last time they went.

DKampy

definitely more popular….we were at wdw last week and every day at Magic Kingdom it had the longest lines in the park…even more then the likes mine train and splash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom