Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

ImperfectPixie

It is certainly interesting, and as someone who has always loved the whole mid-century tiki culture and Polynesian pop it has given me some pause for thought in recent years!

The definition you cite is quite interesting as you could also substitute "foreign" for "exotic" and it would be far less evocative, perhaps more accurate, and would probably make people more uncomfortable! This is where I think the way they are using it on the new sign to refer to the fantasy ride is probably fine, whereas describing, for example, something like an arepa that people from Colombia and Venezuela may eat everyday as "exotic" is more of an issue.
I agree...and I think you're right - people would likely lose their minds if we substituted "foreign" for "exotic".

fgmnt

I'm an English major, so the meanings of words and how they shift over time, the origins, etc. is all very interesting to me.

I'm not sure when the word "exotic" gained a negative connotation, but it means "originating in or characteristic of a distant country". If you google "etymology of exotic", you can see that the "similar" words tend to be far more problematic...especially "alien".
Don't really know if we want to get into the weeds on this, but I can see how the fetishization of "exotic" at a human level (exotic dancers) could bleed over. It's one of those things that will get hammered out in the greater zeitgeist over time.

JohnD

Don't really know if we want to get into the weeds on this, but I can see how the fetishization of "exotic" at a human level (exotic dancers) could bleed over. It's one of those things that will get hammered out in the greater zeitgeist over time.
Not really. But the discussion is going back to my point. Keep an eye on that sign. It may never be removed but the discussion is already showing it could be.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
“Foreign” has also fallen out of favor as no one is “foreign” anymore. The claim would be that term is “Euro-centric”.
3B05B132-5528-4B66-B6D3-9937C4E13AC2.gif

😉

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Speaking of changes, has anybody checked out "Behind The Attraction" that dropped today on Disney+?
I have about 10mins left... wife went to bed and told me to wait and finish it tomorrow with her... Anyway lol. Thought they did a good job, learned a few things and heard some stories I was not familiar with, which is nice. I feel that when you get into Disney like I am sure a lot of us around here are you tend to start hearing the same stories over and over, so any time you have opportunities to hear new takes or stories its always refreshing. One point I found interesting is how they walked around the cultural depiction issue, only mentioning that there was some negative scenes in the past and only really showing the stranded safari. Other than that none of the human based sense are shown which I found interesting. I can't prove it but I feel that some of the Marc Davis scenes are cropped in a way to hide some of his artwork that is now considered offensive. Not commenting on if this is a positive or a negative just an observation.

Overall I am excited about this series and look forward to seeing what the rest of the episodes are like!

EDIT: Wow so apprently those last 10mins make a difference! Now I’m surprised the paint Trader Sam in a somewhat positive light!?

Last edited:

Otterhead

I'm loving the new sign and all of the world building they're adding to the ride. The new signage is way easier to read and the JNC emblem is classy, great work.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Think it could use a bunch more weathering to show more tan vs the green matching the building color.....but looks better than the shiny new paint job first seen.......and I do love the bite taken out of the oar........but still too green imho. ;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom