Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Sir_Cliff

A mix of humor and WOW moments... At one time the visuals were all a WOW...now they have gotten stale and have not been addressed in years... Time to update and renew so maybe the entire attraction does not rest on the jokes, but jokes are a little embellishment to a great attraction.
To do that, they would more or less have to completely replace all the existing figures and scenes with new ones. I can only imagine how that would go down on here!

It's very hard to go from corny old vignettes to 2021-level WOW.

GimpYancIent

Imagineering offices right now

Really!
1620187180864.png

JMcMahonEsq

To do that, they would more or less have to completely replace all the existing figures and scenes with new ones. I can only imagine how that would go down on here!

It's very hard to go from corny old vignettes to 2021-level WOW.
Any type of change to 2021--WOW level is going to be very difficult. Your going to get your WOW factor either through visuals (Pandora River Ride) or through the action of the ride itself (7D or upcoming Tron lets say.) Given the current footprint of the Jungle Cruise, absent a total replacement, your not going to turn the ride into a thrill type ride. So your really looking to update your visuals. So much of the 2021 visuals come from electronics it makes it hard to take current indoor dark water type rides, with mixes of animatronics and screens, and translate that to an outdoor setting like Jungle Cruise.

_caleb

Any type of change to 2021--WOW level is going to be very difficult. Your going to get your WOW factor either through visuals (Pandora River Ride) or through the action of the ride itself (7D or upcoming Tron lets say.) Given the current footprint of the Jungle Cruise, absent a total replacement, your not going to turn the ride into a thrill type ride. So your really looking to update your visuals. So much of the 2021 visuals come from electronics it makes it hard to take current indoor dark water type rides, with mixes of animatronics and screens, and translate that to an outdoor setting like Jungle Cruise.
I'd add that another way to make the ride better is story, which they did when they added the corny jokes way back when and which they're trying now (but don't mention this to Disneylanders).

Phil12

Actually, it's pretty easy. They can put all their visuals up on the guests smart phone screens. And they can put different visuals up on each guests smart phone dependent upon their lodging. Those staying at deluxe Disney resorts will get high quality and exciting visuals while those staying off site and lower tier Disney resorts will get a lower quality experience. Locals will get nothing.

GimpYancIent

Actually, it's pretty easy. They can put all their visuals up on the guests smart phone screens. And they can put different visuals up on each guests smart phone dependent upon their lodging. Those staying at deluxe Disney resorts will get high quality and exciting visuals while those staying off site and lower tier Disney resorts will get a lower quality experience. Locals will get nothing.
What?

Brer Panther

Yeah, and besides, cats are funnier than monkeys. According to Youtube. Hey TDO! Jungle Cruise needs more cats.
Throw a black panther near the temple. The actual animal, not the superhero. Though I'm sure they'd make jokes about that.

Now that I think of it, does the African Veldt scene have any cheetahs?

MickeyLuv'r

Animatronics still have the potential to be amazing, but they'd really have to be impressive robotics. On top of that, they would have to be weather-proof.

Also...monkeys? Maybe not the best choice for this attraction.

If WDW is updating the ride to remove ride elements that are now considered taboo/racist, then it is extremely tone-deaf/dumb/poor choice to replace those elements with 'comedic monkeys.' Millions of animals live in jungles, why choose the one type of animal that has a very long and very well-established association with American racism? That would be absolutely the dumbest choice WDW could possibly make in this situation.

Brer Panther

Animatronics still have the potential to be amazing, but they'd really have to be impressive robotics. On top of that, they would have to be weather-proof.

Also...monkeys? Maybe not the best choice for this attraction.

If WDW is updating the ride to remove ride elements that are now considered taboo/racist, then it is extremely tone-deaf/dumb/poor choice to replace those elements with 'comedic monkeys.' Millions of animals live in jungles, why choose the one type of animal that has a very long and very well-established association with American racism? That would be absolutely the dumbest choice WDW could possibly make in this situation.
Somehow, I doubt a lot of thought was put into what they should replace the problematic stuff with. As I've said before, they're likely just under the impression that monkeys are automatically funny.

cookiee_munster

it was very much a different ride when it first opened. Certainly changed quite a bit over the years (yes, I'm aware this is Disneyland's)

I forget sometimes that Hong Kong has a version of it, i wonder if that'll receive and update too? there's certain elements that could do with changing. That ride has a pretty interesting ending using some water/fire effects.

Phil12

it was very much a different ride when it first opened. Certainly changed quite a bit over the years (yes, I'm aware this is Disneyland's)

I forget sometimes that Hong Kong has a version of it, i wonder if that'll receive and update too? there's certain elements that could do with changing. That ride has a pretty interesting ending using some water/fire effects.

That video is a great example. The attraction was originally to be a serious nature guide adventure show. However, after a few years, the popularity of the attraction dwindled. The only thing that saved it was humor. Now, of course, humor is the primary element of the attraction. If they attempted to run the attraction in the original format, it would run neck and neck with the Tiki Room and CBJ for the honors of least popular show. At WDW both the Tiki Room and CBJ have air conditioning to draw people on a hot day so they both have a big advantage over the Jungle Cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom