Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

JohnD

So I own The Complete Far Side and finally going through all the cartoons. I take it this cartoon could no longer be published today.

C0FF7893-1428-4452-9E80-4082EB24E560.jpeg

Bocabear

He literally can only come from one or two places in the world - Ecuador or Peru.
Just a quick note... Headhunting was a practice in many ancient cultures... Not just the Amazon... It was practice widely in the South Pacific...Papua New Guinea... and many other locales all over the globe.... So to say Trader Sam HAS to be from the Jivaroan Tribe is patently wrong and really misses the point of the whole attraction.. It was meant to be a little unnerving, a little fun...And really has NOTHING to do with an accurate depiction of indigenous cultures...

SorcererMC

Just a quick note... Headhunting was a practice in many ancient cultures... Not just the Amazon... It was practice widely in the South Pacific...Papua New Guinea... and many other locales all over the globe.... So to say Trader Sam HAS to be from the Jivaroan Tribe is patently wrong and really misses the point of the whole attraction.. It was meant to be a little unnerving, a little fun...And really has NOTHING to do with an accurate depiction of indigenous cultures...
I know perfectly well that headhunting is practiced in many ancient cultures because my ancestors, and our son's ancestors, did it. There is a 0% chance that Disney's Amazonian headhunter is from any other indigenous community than Jivaroan because they are literally the ONLY ONES in that region who shrunk heads.

Brer Oswald

I know perfectly well that headhunting is practiced in many ancient cultures because my ancestors, and our son's ancestors, did it. There is a 0% chance that Disney's Amazonian headhunter is from any other indigenous community than Jivaroan because they are literally the ONLY ONES in that region who shrunk heads.
For many of us, that obvious detail isn’t so obvious. Not that it shouldn’t be replaced, but it’s not plain obvious for most, so cut us a little bit of slack.

doctornick

Um he posted that tidbit before in his description of where it had to be?
He has, but it's relatively obscure knowledge - something that the vast vast majority of Disney guests and (more importantly) probably the people who designed the ride itself would be unaware of. If the people designing Trader Sam were unaware of the cultural background of that ethnic group, they couldn't have been intentionally imitating or referring to them.

(As a related aside, to me the DL original Trader Sam looks more African than South American which I think strengthens the point that the ride designers were not specifically referencing a particular South American peoples.)

Last edited:

SorcererMC

For many of us, that obvious detail isn’t so obvious. Not that it shouldn’t be replaced, but it’s not plain obvious for most, so cut us a little bit of slack.
I understand that the specifics might not be obvious to everyone. People don't know what they don't know, and that's fine. My own understanding on the subject has evolved over time. In this case, it's the logic that matters. Disney themselves have identified him as South American, ergot there is only one possible indigenous community to which the shrunken heads giveaway applies. Now, it's been a long time since I've been on the attraction, but my understanding is that Trader Sam was near the end of the ride when the boat is returning to the Explorers' Lodge, which itself is located in the Amazon.

I am only referring to WDW version. I didn't even know about DL's version. (Yikes).

Last edited:

SorcererMC

He has, but it's relatively obscure knowledge - something that the vast vast majority of Disney guests and (more importantly) probably the people who designed the ride itself would be unaware of. If the people designing Trader Sam were unaware of the cultural background of that ethnic group, they couldn't have been intentionally imitating or referring to them.
Anyone who has taken a world history class that includes South America or Latin America, or Spanish classes, should have some general knowledge on the subject.

Bocabear

and again No...I had World History, Language classes and Art History... If there was any mention of headhunters it was in passing... There was no book assignment or chapter on the Jiveroan People of the Amazon...
They may have been mentioned but it is far from public knowledge...
Maybe specific to you... and that is lovely for you.
And I believe the Marc Davis illustration was purposely vague about the actual tribe/location/ ethnicity of the character of Trader Sam...because none of this was supposed to be interpreted literally or put up against a microscope looking for something to be outraged about.

SorcererMC

and again No...I had World History, Language classes and Art History... If there was any mention of headhunters it was in passing... There was no book assignment or chapter on the Jiveroan People of the Amazon...
They may have been mentioned but it is far from public knowledge...
Maybe specific to you... and that is lovely for you.
And I believe the Marc Davis illustration was purposely vague about the actual tribe/location/ ethnicity of the character of Trader Sam...because none of this was supposed to be interpreted literally or put up against a microscope looking for something to be outraged about.
If you didn't learn the relevant geography, then someone failed you.

Brer Oswald

I understand that the specifics might not be obvious to everyone. People don't know what they don't know, and that's fine. My own understanding on the subject has evolved over time. In this case, it's the logic that matters. Disney themselves have identified him as South American, ergot there is only one possible indigenous community to which the shrunken heads giveaway applies. Now, it's been a long time since I've been on the attraction, but my understanding is that Trader Sam was near the end of the ride when the boat is returning to the Explorers' Lodge, which itself is located in the Amazon.

I am only referring to WDW version. I didn't even know about DL's version. (Yikes).
The DL version is astronomical worse (IMO) because they aren’t even antagonizing cartoons. It’s straight up “realistic” looking humans.

ppete1975

I think people forget what jungle cruise should be.... as we keep thinking of things as adults. Id remove all the people so thats out of the way. And go back to what it originally was which was amazing (for the time)AAs. Keep it geared towards KIDS and stop treating it in the same class as a more adult ride. If youre 6 years old and you see the AAs they are amazing as is the jungle. Keep that emotion. Thats what i love now as an adult when i ride JC or POC or HM, if i was riding them the first time id think.. wow thats pretty entertaining and the theming is nice. But since i rode these as a kid.. I am 8 years old when i ride them now. When i went back after 20 years i hadnt kept up with Disney (i thought WOM was still in epcot) i was excited to spend time with family but i didnt really care about disney that much.
A little magic came back when i got on the magical express and then to port orleans... but it wasnt a huge deal.

Until i saw the castle.... I was now 8 years old and i might have shed a tear. Since then ive been on this message board, bought way too much disney stuff, become.. that disney guy at work.. and have been back once and going back next year. Thats what Jungle cruise needs to be ... joy and wonderment for the kids.. and memories that transform them back when they are grown

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom