Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

WDW Pro

I appreciate your perspective even when I don’t always agree. This is one of those times. I have heard complaints from a variety of people for many years about Jungle Cruise’s cannibals, head hunters and just natives. Strangely, more recently Small World has popped up,too. That one I have a harder time understanding.
Small World is on the list of attractions. I've never understood the aversion to cannibals, head hunters, etc - possibly because I don't tie that to race. I similarly am not offended by depictions of Vikings as berserker savages.

Last edited by a moderator:

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Imagine this:

It's a Small World updated to:
  • represent more indigenous cultures
  • the removal of animals or mythical beings in place of children of that culture
  • stop using police or military garb to represent a culture.

Oh, you still here? Yeah, that's it. Disney's just a It's a Small World ride.

;)
Close it down and put up some screens with 12 minutes of "Baby Shark" on a loop and call it done.

FettFan

View attachment 526752View attachment 526753

So, we're getting 5 characters (from bottom up)...
The Skipper/Captain​
The Navigator/Cartographer​
The Artist​
The Butterfly Naturalist​
The Bird Naturalist​

And as one can see, the five chimps mock the five 'skippers,' each taking on their role.

So, if that is *the* Skipper/Captain, it won't be in the likeness of The Rock.

eh. It’s not nearly as funny as the schadenfreude of a trophy hunting party getting their comeuppance from an angry rhino.

FettFan

The depiction of them aggressively brandishing weapons and trying to murder everyone in the boat.

Maybe... but it wouldn't be worth the effort. If they really wanted to give an adequate portrayal of native peoples and fully represent their stories, they would have to make the ride an educational examination of those peoples and their cultures. Told from their perspectives. They couldn't just use dark colored "natives" as set dressing for a 7 second vignette, even if you can imagine them doing it in a way that isn't just aggression.

So... driving off a boatful of intruders is a BAD thing now?
Shoot replace the bows, spears, and blowguns with Winchester shotguns and you’d get my great grandfather every time the parish tax assessor showed up. 😂

Hippity, hoppity, get off me property. 🐸

Homemade Imagineering

(Lol, skip to 3:48)

1C9C2B11-8DA7-4C2A-9E87-CD7FB4A0F995.png

ppete1975

Well, to be fair, that ride is a blatant knockoff of the Jungle Cruise already.

Actually, it's kind of ironic that Disney is copying a ride that copied one of their rides.
Some imagineer is going to lose their job. Can't be closer to the concept art but with a couple more monkeys 😂
la jungla is a complete ripoff of disney, as is alot of things... such as dumbo rides painted diff colors or a defunct park that even copied the castle. As far as Disney... im not sure they copied that. I mean a kid thats ridden jungle cruise once or just saw a picture of it could have come up with the concept for the changes. Its not exactly a huge creative risk, its what would prob happen in the jungle.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"As we shared earlier this year, we are building on the original story of the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland park and Magic Kingdom Park. We’re adding more humor, wildlife and skipper heart to the classic attraction, and as part of a much larger effort, this updated experience will welcome new characters from around the world.

The enhancements include several new scenes guests will experience along the river, all interconnected. Our world-famous skippers will continue to share the unique adventure and interactions guests expect on the Jungle Cruise.

The new scenes will heighten our skippers’ legendary comedic tone, beginning with a trapped safari party that finds itself up a tree after their journey goes awry. Unexpected scenarios along the way will give the jungle and animals the last laugh!

For those looking to dive deeper, we’re also expanding the attraction’s backstory, centered around Alberta Falls, granddaughter of world-renowned Dr. Albert Falls, as the proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd.

Jungle Cruise fans might be familiar with her name; however, wouldn’t you know it, we recently uncovered a copy of an interview with Alberta Falls that was featured in a 1938 issue of The Daily Gnus about her and the World-Famous Jungle Cruise. We hope you’ll enjoy getting to know her!

1938 issue of The Daily Gnus

Stay tuned for more details coming later this year!"

dreday3

"As we shared earlier this year, we are building on the original story of the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland park and Magic Kingdom Park. We’re adding more humor, wildlife and skipper heart to the classic attraction, and as part of a much larger effort, this updated experience will welcome new characters from around the world.

The enhancements include several new scenes guests will experience along the river, all interconnected. Our world-famous skippers will continue to share the unique adventure and interactions guests expect on the Jungle Cruise.

The new scenes will heighten our skippers’ legendary comedic tone, beginning with a trapped safari party that finds itself up a tree after their journey goes awry. Unexpected scenarios along the way will give the jungle and animals the last laugh!

For those looking to dive deeper, we’re also expanding the attraction’s backstory, centered around Alberta Falls, granddaughter of world-renowned Dr. Albert Falls, as the proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd.

Jungle Cruise fans might be familiar with her name; however, wouldn’t you know it, we recently uncovered a copy of an interview with Alberta Falls that was featured in a 1938 issue of The Daily Gnus about her and the World-Famous Jungle Cruise. We hope you’ll enjoy getting to know her!

1938 issue of The Daily Gnus

Stay tuned for more details coming later this year!"

Oh lord, a female has been added. Cue the outrage! :D
But really, I think it's a fun addition to the backstory.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A lot more in this article here -

Felix Pechman XIII, Jungle Navigation Company Ltd. Skipper

Felix landed his new job as a Jungle Cruise skipper soon after leaving his home in Silver Springs, Florida. A rather unlucky chap — his surname means “bad luck man” in several languages — Felix found himself cutting his skipper teeth by leading his very first boat tour for Alberta’s VIP guests.

“Unfortunately,” said Lively, a story editor with Walt Disney Imagineering, “Pechman’s trademark bad luck has followed him to the jungle, and, well… we know where that landed them!”

Skipper Felix joins the attraction as an Audio-Animatronic skipper, whose role will complement the live skippers we know and love. “Your expedition will still be led by a live skipper delivering classic puns,” said Lively, who, as a former Jungle Cruise skipper, brings firsthand experience of the role to his writing of the updates. “With the addition of the Skipper Felix, his passengers, and their fractured boat; new opportunities will arise for his ‘live’ coworkers to make some witty comments about the situation.”

-

"While Disney hasn’t revealed all of the planned updates, we wondered what the ride’s reimagining could mean for Trader Sam, the jungle’s “head” salesman who appears near the end of the ride and lends his name to Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel and Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto and Tiki Bar at Walt Disney World’s Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

While Tubert and Lively didn’t elaborate on how the character Trader Sam might be addressed within the ride, Tubert did confirm that there are no changes currently planned for the eponymous tiki bars, both of which remain closed due to the pandemic at present.

“As far as Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar at Disneyland Resort and Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto at Walt Disney World Resort, no plans are on the way to update them currently,” Tubert said."

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I like another SEA character, but don't like "Adventureland" being a canonized place.

When you visit an attraction in Adventureland you are taken to that ride's setting, in the same way seeing a show performed in a theater does not mean that it's story takes place in that literal theater. Adventureland's attractions take place in the Caribbean, the Nile, South Pacific, Agrabah etc. not "Adventureland".

"Adventureland" is just a contextual noun used to communicate the area's difference in tone and setting from other MK lands.

_caleb

I like another SEA character, but don't like "Adventureland" being a canonized place.

When you visit an attraction in Adventureland you are taken to that ride's setting, in the same way seeing a show performed in a theater does not mean that it's story takes place in that literal theater. Adventureland's attractions take place in the Caribbean, the Nile, South Pacific, Agrabah etc. not "Adventureland".

"Adventureland" is just a contextual noun used to communicate the area's difference in tone and setting from other MK lands.
I noticed that! I wonder if it has to do with the new S.E.A. series they're working on for Disney+. Seems like establishing Disney parks "lands" as "places" alongside real-world places is sort of a meta thing they might use to explain the close proximity of the attractions to one another in the parks.

Rather than how they've historically treated the time/place transport in the parks "now we're in Asia" (Jungle Cruise) or "as we join up with the mighty Mississippi River (RoA), it seems like they're going with "this spot in Anaheim/Orlando/Tokyo/etc. is the site of a world-class adventure."

Interesting...

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

right on except you don't go to the caribbean in adventureland. Pirates of the Caribbean falls under New Orleans Square not Adventureland. A common mistake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom