News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

gerarar

Premium Member
Nothing major, but seems like doors were stuck and had to be manually opened by a Doppelmayr employee on-site:
D1A2845E-60FD-4329-8788-E0FCD1B8147A.jpeg

isman250

Does anyone know for arguments sake, if they will be ever extending the skyliner to say the animal kingdom lodge to give that another way of transportation, or is it just to far to do?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone know for arguments sake, if they will be ever extending the skyliner to say the animal kingdom lodge to give that another way of transportation, or is it just to far to do?
The original design covers pretty much the entire resort but was broken into smaller phases. No word on if they will be moving forward with anything further.

Lift Blog

Nothing major, but seems like doors were stuck and had to be manually opened by a Doppelmayr employee on-site:
View attachment 559801

Just because a door had to be manually locked doesn’t mean there was a malfunction. Usually it’s caused by a body/foot/arm/head/stroller/ski pole getting stuck in the doors. I watched the Instagram story and it looks like that’s exactly what happened. Whomever was trying to get on late also hit the access control barrier so the technician had to lock the doors manually, pull on them to check and reset the gate. The opposite of a malfunction - functioning as designed.

Last edited:

isman250

The original design covers pretty much the entire resort but was broken into smaller phases. No word on if they will be moving forward with anything further.
It makes sense, just wish they wouldve made this a focus when they started it, as animal kingdom is super nice, but only have the buses stinks. Mainly bc lol i dont like the buses and the skyliner is awesome.

DisAl

One challenge is the distances involved. I don't know for sure, but I think the longest run on the existing skyliner system is around a mile. Straight line distance from AK to the existing transfer station or the TTC is around three miles.

Lift Blog

How often at say, a ski resort were a system like this operates all the time in near cold.. do doors and etc get stuck or car's crash?

Wasn't the last crash due to a car coming off the disabled load? Pretty sure you won't find that setup at a ski resort

I wouldn't call what happened in April a crash. More like a bump. What happened in Italy last weekend was a crash. Exceedingly sad but exceedingly rare.

It's in Doppelmayr's interest to keep all the Skyliner lines running safely and efficiently. Any two points at WDW could be connected by Skyliner should Disney so choose.

Ripken10

I wouldn't call what happened in April a crash. More like a bump. What happened in Italy last weekend was a crash. Exceedingly sad but exceedingly rare.

It's in Doppelmayr's interest to keep all the Skyliner lines running safely and efficiently. Any two points at WDW could be connected by Skyliner should Disney so choose.
What are some of the longer domestic gondolas? The longest I rode was the Aerial Tram at Lake Tahoe which I believe is 2.4 miles long.

Disone

I keep hoping for a three point system, Coronado Springs to Animal Kingdom park continuing on to Animal Kingdom Lodge and Back Again.... Lodge to Park to CS.

Lift Blog

What are some of the longer domestic gondolas? The longest I rode was the Aerial Tram at Lake Tahoe which I believe is 2.4 miles long.
The longest in the US (and formerly the world) is at Silver Mountain, Idaho at 3.1 miles, followed by the gondolas at Aspen and Heavenly. Many longer ones have recently been built abroad: 5.6 miles in Serbia, 5.5 miles in Turkey, 4.9 miles in Vietnam. We have fallen behind.

orky8

At least between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Animal Kingdom. I always thought they could put the AKL station between the ends of the Jambo and DVC building, pretty easily, and thereby service the entire resort without too much effort. Build a bridge from the ends of Kidani and Jambo, no turns or anything required.

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 3.06.39 PM.png

mmascari

At least between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Animal Kingdom. I always thought they could put the AKL station between the ends of the Jambo and DVC building, pretty easily, and thereby service the entire resort without too much effort. Build a bridge from the ends of Kidani and Jambo, no turns or anything required.

View attachment 560011
That's going to be ugly on the landing right through backstage.

If I was betting, more like this:

1621974035693.png

Of course, most of that route could be done with only a buss lane crossing at grade level too. They could put in anything and make the same happen. Same for any route from the back of the resort, there's no crossing to deal with. A gondola should still be cheaper, but it needs to be a straight line. Something else could curve. My wife always wants to stay at AK, but having to take a bus everywhere, even to AK is a disappointment. I assume they'll do something "eventually".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's going to be ugly on the landing right through backstage.

If I was betting, more like this:

View attachment 560038

Of course, most of that route could be done with only a buss lane crossing at grade level too. They could put in anything and make the same happen. Same for any route from the back of the resort, there's no crossing to deal with. A gondola should still be cheaper, but it needs to be a straight line. Something else could curve. My wife always wants to stay at AK, but having to take a bus everywhere, even to AK is a disappointment. I assume they'll do something "eventually".
How about a walking path that's less than a mile (which is the distance from Epcot busses to American Adventure)?

1621980745551.png

joelkfla

How about a walking path that's less than a mile (which is the distance from Epcot busses to American Adventure)?

View attachment 560045
The walk from Boardwalk to DHS is about 0.8 mi. But how many guests choose to walk rather than ride? I think a relatively small fraction.

Asking guests to walk a mile to get just to the entrance of a park would not make them happy. That's not free theme park transportation.

Ripken10

The walk from Boardwalk to DHS is about 0.8 mi. But how many guests choose to walk rather than ride? I think a relatively small fraction.

Asking guests to walk a mile to get just to the entrance of a park would not make them happy. That's not free theme park transportation.
The walk would not be for everybody, but it certainly would be enjoyed by a number of guests. Just like the walk from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, this would be used, and would also likely get more guests considering AK Lodge. Runners would also love this option for a morning run.

joelkfla

The walk would not be for everybody, but it certainly would be enjoyed by a number of guests. Just like the walk from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom, this would be used, and would also likely get more guests considering AK Lodge. Runners would also love this option for a morning run.
Sure, but that's totally different from the Skyliner, which was intended to take a major load off the buses.

I'm not saying Skyliner is the best solution from AK to AKL, and I'm not convinced it's practical as property-wide transit. I'm just saying it was envisioned as the primary mode of transportation where implemented, whereas walking paths are just a nice alternative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom