TWDC 2QFY16 Earnings Call Thread

betty rose

I see it from a different perspective. I think it's as affordable as ever but people have such big credit card debt now that they can't afford it. Gotta have the latest flat panel..., Oh! and new car every few years. What about a house I really can't afford but the bank said I could buy anyway. I make essentially the same as I did five years ago. I couldn't afford a Disney trip then so I put it on credit. After a lifestyle change (Dave Ramsey) I have my trip in November fully paid with cash in the bank. Same basic trip with 6 days at Poly. The difference is what I do with the rest of my money. I think affordability is somewhat perspective, not just income.
We just cancelled our October trip. The cost didn't drive us away. The cuts and dirty bathrooms did. We traded Disney for a cruise this year. Oasis class ship. We took the same trip 2 years ago, on the same ship. It was refurbished in 2014. Increase in cost for the room, 100.00$ for the week. We are choosing to vote with the pocket book. Thanks Iger.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I see it from a different perspective. I think it's as affordable as ever but people have such big credit card debt now that they can't afford it. Gotta have the latest flat panel..., Oh! and new car every few years. What about a house I really can't afford but the bank said I could buy anyway. I make essentially the same as I did five years ago. I couldn't afford a Disney trip then so I put it on credit. After a lifestyle change (Dave Ramsey) I have my trip in November fully paid with cash in the bank. Same basic trip with 6 days at Poly. The difference is what I do with the rest of my money. I think affordability is somewhat perspective, not just income.

A lot of us live like that, I have a Ford F350 dually, Would have liked a shiny new one but 8,000 and 4 months in the shop refurbished it to 'like new both mechanically and cosmetically' and it now has handsfree, navigation, tire monitors and a backup camera and satellite radio A new one of like kind and quality $85,000 at the dealer .... Hmmm what's the better use of my money.

Brad Bishop

A lot of us live like that, I have a Ford F350 dually, Would have liked a shiny new one but 8,000 and 4 months in the shop refurbished it to 'like new both mechanically and cosmetically' and it now has handsfree, navigation, tire monitors and a backup camera and satellite radio A new one of like kind and quality $85,000 at the dealer .... Hmmm what's the better use of my money.

I plan to do the same thing with my 2009 Honda Civic.

Off topic: One problem a lot of people have is just not keeping up with the maintenance. They skimp on oil changes or air filter changes and then when something needs to be replaced like shocks or tires they put it off and, eventually, fixing the car costs more than it's worth because they've let everything go. I remember my daughter doing this twice before she figured it out. It's just a cost of owning it.

I could actually roll this back over into being on-topic, now that I think about it, but I'm pretty sure most of you know where I'd be going with it. It doesn't even need to be said.

HM Spectre

Don't know how any company can be "very pleased" with less guests visiting. Yes, you've made more money but it kind of proves you are starting to put people off.

It's easy to be "very pleased" when you're thinking in the immediate short-term and don't plan on being around for the long-term ramifications.

A drop in attendance "solves" capacity issues and an increase in guest spending thanks to the jacked up prices combined with slashed costs from cuts will keep profits up despite attendance drops. The problem is what happens when you continue this behavior over a horizon longer than a few quarters.

If they're not there yet, they're right on the cusp of pushing prices too far (and I'd argue they have already) to the point where they'll start to see more than just "modest" drops in attendance, whether by choice or by inability to pay. Right now, their strategy works because they make more revenue from the $ increases than they lose from the attendance decline.

But... when the revenue from your price increase is offset by a loss of revenue due to the resulting drop in attendance, that money making lever is BROKEN and can't be pulled any more.

Same thing with cost cuts. I like how @WDW1974 put it... they're strip mining the place. They quality of show, service, maintenance, etc. was previously so high that they were able to make cuts to it without all but the observant few noticing. Then they cut again. And cut again. And again. And they're eyeing more. But you can only strip mine so much before you destroy the land.

And of course, they run into the same problem... there's only so many times you can pull that lever and have it be beneficial. Eventually, as you keep reducing expenses, it starts to cause noticeable quality issues that are being seen by more than just the observant few.

And at some point, people will stop paying through the nose to go visit a half-functioning dump when they can visit the property down the road that is doing things the right way or even *gasp* take a vacation somewhere other than Orlando. Then that lever is BROKEN.

And when you can't increase prices or cut costs to grow profits anymore, you can either play an extraordinarily expensive game of catch-up to return to the standard that made you the best in the business... or you can fail. Even the "brand" isn't strong enough by itself to prop up what would amount to a giant waste of money.

I'd much rather they figure this out while they're on the road to destruction instead of when they've made it to the front gate... but that isn't going to happen with current leadership who are "very pleased" to leave the ghost of WDW for the next poor sap to fix.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I plan to do the same thing with my 2009 Honda Civic.

Off topic: One problem a lot of people have is just not keeping up with the maintenance. They skimp on oil changes or air filter changes and then when something needs to be replaced like shocks or tires they put it off and, eventually, fixing the car costs more than it's worth because they've let everything go. I remember my daughter doing this twice before she figured it out. It's just a cost of owning it.

I could actually roll this back over into being on-topic, now that I think about it, but I'm pretty sure most of you know where I'd be going with it. It doesn't even need to be said.

Being an engineer I know that skimping on maintenance ALWAYS costs lots more than actually doing the maintenance and sometimes I maintain stuff which is NOT due because that area is already apart and the parts cost is far less than paying for labor twice. Cars and Theme parks only work well when properly maintained.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just to add to @HMSectre: Attendance at parks is a lagging indicator.

I don't think the current management really gets that or, perhaps they do and figure they'll be gone by the time it catches up and that'll be the next guy's problem (much like politiicans).

I think it's really going to hit around the holidays when the guests who USED to come for the Osborne lights don't show up.

Progress.City

Looks like the Spirit @WDW1974 was right and gate clicks are now declining at WDW

Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Gee this would not have ANYTHING to do with the massive price increases at WDW and the CUTS in service and quality would it...

So much for the meme that 'THE RUBES WILL l ALWAYS COME TO WDW NO MATTER WHAT"
Maybe the fact that DLR emphasis both show quality and quantity, versus WDW's not giving a blank about either has something to do with it ?????

Cesar R M

Earnings for P&R:

For the quarter, P&R pulled $3.9B this year, up 4% over 2QFY15's $3.7B.

For the six months ended, looking at $8.2B in revenue for Q1&Q2 for P&R. Up 7% over last year.

Here's what the Mouse had to say...

Parks and Resorts

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 4% to $3.9 billion and segment operating income increased 10% to $624 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our domestic operations, partially offset by a decrease at our international operations. The current quarter reflected an offsetting impact from a shift in the timing of the New Year’s and Easter holidays relative to our fiscal periods. The current quarter was adversely impacted by the absence of several days of the New Year’s holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the prior year. This impact was essentially offset by the benefit of the two-week Easter holiday, which occurred in the second quarter of the current year compared to the third quarter of the prior year.

Higher operating income at our domestic operations was due to guest spending growth, partially offset by higher costs. The increase in guest spending was due to higher average ticket prices at our theme parks and cruise line, increased food, beverage and merchandise spending and higher average hotel room rates. Cost increases were due to labor and other cost inflation and higher depreciation associated with new attractions. Attendance at our domestic theme parks was relatively flat, as an increase at Disneyland Resort was offset by a modest decrease at Walt Disney World Resort.

Lower operating income at our international operations was due to higher pre-opening expenses at Shanghai Disney Resort, increased operating costs at Disneyland Paris and lower volume at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, partially offset by higher guest spending at Disneyland Paris.

(Bold added by me)

so, almost all the increments of revenue were thanks to higher prices and not natural growth?
better at disneyland and everyone leaving DHS to die...

Cesar R M

Forget infinity they just announced Battlefront 2 for 2017... maybe this one will have single player? Please?...
fat chance. I wonder if they will actually follow EA's treyarch technique.
  • No dedicated servers
  • No Map makers map editors, nothing
  • All will be Paid DLC with either by DLC or "season pass".
  • Forced obsolescence every year (in some case extreme, by shutting down the main matchmaking servers).
  • Paid Extras, limited characters/slots/gear. You pay to unlock slots that you can later buy stuff that needs unlocking. All with real money.

Cesar R M

Do they EVER know when to stop pushing? I mean, really. I hate to think of what ticket prices will cost in 5-8 years going by what's happened in the past few.

I'm not a HP fan (like, at all- just saw the movies for the first time last year. Refuse to read the books.) but I'm quite excited to see new lands and experience what so many people have ranted and raved about Universal and specifically the HP areas. I bit the bullet and booked 4 days/nights (soon to be 6) at Cabana Bay and the price difference is astonishing. Hence adding two more days. Even if we don't go to the parks, and just hang around the resort, I'm fine with that. And it's still less than the first leg of my trip. (Is this a bad time to mention how irritated I am to have to pre plan everything at Disney and absolutely NOTHING at Universal... especially 180 days out?!)
You bet we will see a big hike once Star Wars opens...

Cesar R M

The ridiculous food prices would lead you to believe that, but again that's the problem with the dining plan to begin with. If it works for you that's great, I didn't find the same, and that's before they stripped and overpriced it.
not to mention is way less worth now.. I mean.. smaller plates/less food, cheaper condiments, higher price...

Cesar R M

It had several other typos. Here is the revised version. Feel free to add to it.

It wont close, they will still charge people to come stand around and point at what was once Guardians of Space Mountain, Jungle Guardians of the Galaxy Cruise, Big Thunder Guardians of the Mountain, Seven Guardians Mine Train, Space Ship Guardians of Earth, The Great Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Ride, The Seas with Guardians and Friends, Mission: Guardians, Lights Motor, Guardians. The Disney Defenders will no doubt find a way to herald it as a wonderful experience that is simply a strategic business move allowing what the market will bare.
I cant wait to see Peter quill scream "HEY HO..E!" while Rocket Blasts some creatures and groot takes a nap in the new Seven Guardians Mine Train. :hilarious:

Cesar R M

2015 was a record year. 2016 is not a bad year for Disney. A small decrease in attendane is more than made up for by increases in ticket prices, food prices and hotel prices. Remember 88% hotel occupancy rate is fantastic. I know it means a lot of empty rooms when you have over 30,000 rooms but if you think of it as each room is filled just under 9 out of every 10 nights you realize any other hotel company would die for that rate.

Now I have no problem paying the massive increase in my annual pass especially if it lowers the over crowding. As for why people can afford it read the story athttp://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-best-financial-decision-i-ever-made-is-one-in-which-i-didnt-have-a-choice-2016-05-12 . It shows why you can't just look at the cost and individual price increases. Society has changed. Family sizes are much smaller and that is why middle class families can afford the outrageous prices Disney and Universal charge.
Are they counting DVC units as "occupancy" as well?

Speaking of DVC.. I wonder.. If DVC stops selling or Disney stops building them.. will the WDW finances get a huge hit?

Cesar R M

We just cancelled our October trip. The cost didn't drive us away. The cuts and dirty bathrooms did. We traded Disney for a cruise this year. Oasis class ship. We took the same trip 2 years ago, on the same ship. It was refurbished in 2014. Increase in cost for the room, 100.00$ for the week. We are choosing to vote with the pocket book. Thanks Iger.
Same here, We wanted to either go to WDW again or take A disney Cruise, but their price hikes.. yikes!
also going on the Oasis!!

betty rose

He already is but its stock that he's buying not investing in the business as Eisner did
I'm hope Iger's stock goes bust, like the way he is busting the parks. I'm never going twice or three times a year. Now, it's one with DVC and eating elsewhere. We are opting out of Disney for three days this year. More the next. We go in only to spend time with the family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom