News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

Robbiem

I would actually love for Disney to build a 1920s/30s Art Deco/Streamline Moderne themed resort.

There's no chance of that any time soon, of course, since they've apparently given up on building themed properties. But it would have made sense as a DHS area hotel back when DHS was themed to old LA/Hollywood. The entrance to the park is based on an old Streamline Moderne building.
The Ambassador hotel in tokyo and the Hollywood hotel in hong kong are art deco styled and really nice looking resorts. I’ve always thought this would be perfect theming for a Hotel by the studios. Im also suprised they never built a hotel like this in france. It would have fit the american theming of the resorts perfectly and europeans love this style

Club Cooloholic

Interesting. Where are you seeing that? I've never seen it and didn't see anything on Google (other than Lakeshore Reserve, which is a timeshare property, and Ritz-Carlton with a few Reserve properties). I didn't see any other properties using that moniker.

(And not saying you are wrong! Marriott would most definitely do something that generic - I just wanted to see it myself.)
I love it when developments, be they hotels, business offices or home sites name themselves something like "The Reserve, The Preserve or Something Farms". They are none of those things .

Epcot82Guy

Regardless of the name inspiration as a building it is unappealing and architecturally uninteresting. The various names given to date do not help.

I was merely making a joke. ;) "The Reserve, The Preserve or Something Farms.." felt very Seussical. These names are not really inspired by anything. I mean LITERALLY NOT INSPIRED by anything!

jmuboy

The concept art, while still bland has improved. The new name however is definitely a downgrade. Lets hope it changes again.
I would even call it the "Waves" hotel since the exterior has that wave pattern.
Oh well, I guess Disney has little control over this.

_caleb

Any theories as to why they would change this (in name, anyway) from a stand-alone new hotel to tying it to the Swan? Thematically, it doesn't match the Swan. At first I figured maybe they're cutting amenities and that it would have to share with the Swan, but that doesn't work if the Reserve is supposed to be high-end.

The Pho

Any theories as to why they would change this (in name, anyway) from a stand-alone new hotel to tying it to the Swan? Thematically, it doesn't match the Swan. At first I figured maybe they're cutting amenities and that it would have to share with the Swan, but that doesn't work if the Reserve is supposed to be high-end.
Marriott had discussed looking into a new name last year. They wanted to avoid brand confusion with their Cove hotel in Atlantis. This name at least makes the hotel recognizable from the start, although they could’ve done better in many respects.

mgf

Well at least now we know this is very likely a Sheraton Hotel. I don't think we knew that before.

ETA: Clarifying a typo "very likely *NOT* a Sheraton Hotel."

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Well at least now we know this is very likely a Sheraton Hotel. I don't think we knew that before.
Why do you say that? I would assume it would be either an extension of the Westin (Swan) or an Autograph Collection based on the name change to Swan which is Westin property. They usually don't have 2 of the same brands next door to each other.

_caleb

Marriott had discussed looking into a new name last year. They wanted to avoid brand confusion with their Cove hotel in Atlantis. This name at least makes the hotel recognizable from the start, although they could’ve done better in many respects.
Seems like it makes it recognizable as a new addition to an existing hotel. But that's not what it's supposed to be, is it?

The Pho

Seems like it makes it recognizable as a new addition to an existing hotel. But that's not what it's supposed to be, is it?
The Swan and Dolphin are already handled as a single resort. It makes sense to treat this building as an expansion of the existing property rather than a separate entity. Plus then it boosts them from 47th largest hotel in the world to ~38th largest.

_caleb

The Swan and Dolphin are already handled as a single resort. It makes sense to treat this building as an expansion of the existing property rather than a separate entity. Plus then it boosts them from 47th largest hotel in the world to ~38th largest.
I see. I knew about Swan and Dolphin being one "resort." I didn't realize that the new hotel was really just a new, taller, uglier, more expensive wing on that same resort. Thanks.

mgf

Why do you say that? I would assume it would be either an extension of the Westin (Swan) or an Autograph Collection based on the name change to Swan which is Westin property. They usually don't have 2 of the same brands next door to each other.

I meant to say "not a Sheraton". Saying "this is probably a Westin" would have been simpler wording anyway. Sorry!

Also, it is not like it really makes that big of a difference anymore. Swan and Dolphin are both in the same rewards category anyway.

The Autograph Collection is an interesting thought....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, yes and no.

Depending which site you land on, Marriott sometimes continues the distinction of the two being Westin v. Sheraton, and sometimes no mention of those brands.

Also the price for the two reflect a higher price (usually) for the Swan to indicate it is more luxe. It did get the higher grade beds in the latest refurbs.

But, other than that, they often operate as one unit. All the amenities are shared between the two. When I had a crazy split stay between them due to availability (Dolphin to Swan back to Dolphin), I went to the Dolphin desk to explain the situation and to see if they had any openings so I wouldn't have to jump to the Swan for two days, and the CM was able to move the Swan reservation to the Dolphin. So, they are pretty well linked with regard to reservations.

If Marriott really wanted them to be just one hotel, they'd stop having the reservations system between the two -- as it appears outwardly to guests -- as two distinct hotels and just merge the reservation site as "Swan and Dolphin" -- which they haven't... yet.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

So, I just spent the weekend at the Dolphin - and an interesting observation. The color scheme actually pairs pretty well with the interior design of the current rooms. The big issue there is how it doesn't match the exterior. It immediately made me wonder if we might be in for an exterior color change on the main hotels - incorporating more of the tans and blues. If done well, I think it could actually be pretty successful while giving homage to the original color scheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom