Gran Fiesta Tour - New Animatronics

Cmdr_Crimson

It was scrapped.

tenor.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People keep trying to push it like it’s still happening. So to set the record straight, was it scrapped “permanently” or postponed “indefinitely”? I figure even if it was postponed, it wouldn’t be relevant when it opens, however that shouldn’t matter (but you know it does for the suits).
So far as I know there’s several issues that can’t be resolved.

yensidtlaw1969

I don't think that version of Mickey really translates into an animatronic that well.
There's definitely some weirdness - and one in particular that I think is weirder than the others - but that's part of the danger of splitting Mickey's time in the ride between Animatronics and Projections. If he looks "good" in the projections but then something's off with the Animatronic versions, that's gonna be more noticeable than it would have been if you'd just stuck with one approach or the other.

I like the first and last Mickey and Minnie Animatronics in theory, but I think Goofy and Donald look so good the way they're realized in the ride that I sort of would rather all the characters in the ride be realized via that same method.

Little Green Men

That's a fair point... For the regulars.

But for the first timers who have never been before? It really sucks. Animation scene would have been better. They don't want people to freak out? Then literally make an announcement that they're being refurbished.
What first timer would go in COVID anyway?

PizzaPlanet

It might run counter to popular opinion, but I think the animated finale was actually a better fit than the animatronics.

Modern WDW seems to suffer from a sort of "mixed media" syndrome, where they're willing to sacrifice consistency for the sake of updating a single scene or two using technology or media that runs counter to the rest of the experience. A microcosm I suppose of their lack of regard for thematic consistency in the parks themselves.

Gran Fiesta Tour is mostly a screen-based experience, save a few basic-motion figures in the "small world" scene. Placing full (albeit historic) animatronics in the finale is jarring because it's a sudden switch from one media (screens) to another.

Another example, in the exact opposite direction, is replacing the animatronic hitchhiking ghosts in the HM-- a mostly animatronic, fully-realized environment-- with screen-based technology. In that instance, the animatronics worked better because they were consistent with the thematic foundation firmly established throughout the rest of the ride. The use of flat-screen hitchhiking ghosts comes off as a tacky afterthought, not only because it is dimly projected and horribly executed, but mainly because the rest of the ride is layered with fully-realized sets, three-dimensional characters (even Leota and the singing busts, while they do use projection, are three-dimensional figures), and painstakingly crafted detail.

I appreciate WDW resurrecting the old Mickey Mouse Review animatronics for Gran Fiesta Tour. But the screen-based finale had humor and nuance (especially Donald's performance) that the audience expects (based on the rest of the ride) and which the animatronics are incapable of portraying.

A better idea? Wait until *after* the finale to introduce the AAs. Place them around the corner, in the intimate, but sparse and under-utilized section of the ride just before unload. Give them snappy dialogue (or just sync them to the dialog that already exists in that section). What you end up with is the classic Disney unexpected "plus"-- at the very end of the ride-- which works thematically (because it's more of a post-show than a part of the main attraction) while preserving the consistency of the experience.
The reason it works for me is because throughout the whole ride they keep hyping up a big performance, and when you finally got there the animation didn't feel that special compared to how you've already seen the chatacters earlier. Seeing the AAs physically there in front of you just feels like a better payoff to me, but I get where you're coming from.

Sir_Cliff

I honestly feel like Coco wouldn't really work replacing Gran Fiesta Tour. If they planned a new version of the ride at all, there's just no way they could handle the capacity for massive queues in that pavilion. Also, I don't think Coco ever had much potential as a refurb, mainly because the film's plot and setting doesn't translate well to a dark ride and would probably be disappointing. Honestly I'd say the best bet is to simply update the Gran Fiesta Tour with new scenes and AAs to keep it fresh. In my opinion, it works fine as a nice boat ride with a short wait and starring the classic bird trio.
I don't know why Coco's plot and settings would not translate well to a dark ride. Seems to me that they could make for a very impressive and charming dark ride. That said, the key argument against it seems to be that it would be too popular and thus cause a capacity issue for the Mexico pavilion. I'm sure Disney would also rather just not spend the money, which going by their current track record could easily run to $100 million+ for a modest overlay. If they are going to go for an IP-based attraction for the Mexico pavilion, though, Coco is by far a better choice than The Three Caballeros.

All that said, I do like the current ride. Probably one of my favourite attractions at Epcot right now. I know it's temporary, but this should be below the show level at which Disney is willing to open a ride to the public.

techgeek

I’m not buying the ‘it would be too popular for Mexico to handle the crowds’ argument. There’s no way Coco is more popular and more of a ‘must do’ then Frozen, and El Rio de Tres Caballeros actually boasts better capacity then Frozen in the first place.

Perhaps someone ran some surveys and discovered Coco wasn’t going to drive the gate clicks to justify the expense.

UNCgolf

So far as I know there’s several issues that can’t be resolved.

Is one of them related to queue space?

While there are certainly options to increase the size of the queue (i.e. not completely unresolveable), I've always thought it would be very difficult to build a queue long enough for a popular attraction without compromising the pavilion itself. It feels like they'd almost have to gut the thing and basically turn it into just a Coco ride.

I suppose there's a way they could do a longer queue around the building and come in through the side next to the old Odyssey building, but even that could require tearing down their margarita stand (I'm sure they don't want to lose that revenue source, although there might be room to slide a line between it and the pavilion without tearing it down) and probably eliminating part of the pavilion's interior.

UNCgolf

I’m not buying the ‘it would be too popular for Mexico to handle the crowds’ argument. There’s no way Coco is more popular and more of a ‘must do’ then Frozen, and El Rio de Tres Caballeros actually boasts better capacity then Frozen in the first place.

Perhaps someone ran some surveys and discovered Coco wasn’t going to drive the gate clicks to justify the expense.

Queue space is the problem. The queue for that ride only has room for few hundred people at most, and even that might be stretching it. Furthermore, the Mexico pavilion isn't really built in a way that would allow you to easily increase the queue space without serious renovations.

I also think this is one of the reasons Living with the Land has never been up for an overhaul (at least to my knowledge), although I don't think it's the biggest reason. There's just not much room for a long line there, though.

Last edited:

disneyC97

Queue space is the problem. The queue for that ride only has room for few hundred people at most, and even that might be stretching it. Furthermore, the Mexico pavilion isn't really built in a way that would allow you to easily increase the queue space without serious renovations.

I also think this is one of the reasons Living with the Land has never been up for an overhaul (at least to my knowledge), although I don't think it's the biggest reason. There's just not much room for a long line there, though.
First trip in November 1983 my family waited in a massive crowd (line?) to just enter The Land pavilion doors then a queue all the way down to the boats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom