News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

castlecake2.0

Any idea where this might show up? And if it’s any indication of « progress walls » being pushed back?

A5E51A1C-2645-4E11-BE49-97C5F2FCB371.jpeg

lazyboy97o

I wonder if they could have repurposed this building? Add an extra level on top and make the first level open air?
Opening up the ground floor really is not that great of an idea. It’s been tried before and never really worked out. You remove all of the activity that is needed to make a place enjoyable. The image of this floating building is ultimately destroyed by the reality of needing to get stuff and people up and down. Even the Wonder Table’s thin, curvy forms and open space were jarringly interrupted by a massive rectangular service core right in the middle of it.

The CommuniCore buildings could though have been renovated to include many of the Table’s features. The roof could have been rebuilt and reenforced to turn it into an accessible garden. If views to Future Workd West were really an issue the breezeways could have been widened and other even carefully added either ally by making new open space or figuratively by making it possible to see and walk through and chosen points. The buildings are big and open, making them easily adaptable to different programming, including spaces that flexible so that they can handle a rotation of festival activities.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Opening up the ground for really is t that great of an idea. It’s been tried before and never really worked out. You remove all of the activity that is needed to make a place enjoyable. The image of this floating building is ultimately destroyed by the reality of need to get stuff and people up and down. Even the Wonder Table’s thin, curvy forms and open space were jarringly interrupted by a massive rectangular service core right in the middle of it.

The CommuniCore buildings could though have been renovated to include many of the Table’s features. The roof could have been rebuilt and reenforced to turn it into an accessible garden. If views to Future Workd West were really an issue the breezeways could have been widened and other even carefully added either ally by making new open space or figuratively by making it possible to see and walk through and chosen points. The buildings are big and open, making them easily adaptable to different programming, including spaces that flexible so that they can handle a rotation of festival activities.
That all sounds so....reasonable.
Shame they did not choose that route...especially with the now deferred construction on everything...It is going to be a big unfinished space of nothingness for years to come.

trainplane3

Opening up the ground for really is t that great of an idea. It’s been tried before and never really worked out. You remove all of the activity that is needed to make a place enjoyable. The image of this floating building is ultimately destroyed by the reality of need to get stuff and people up and down. Even the Wonder Table’s thin, curvy forms and open space were jarringly interrupted by a massive rectangular service core right in the middle of it.

Terrible ideas all the way around.
You can't make something old Instagrammable. Impossible. Unfeasible. You MUST demo and build.

:rolleyes:
Obviously joking

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

There is way too much information that hasn't yet been provided to the masses to give me a firm indication that the functioning of the park is going into the mud. I'm not saying that ISN'T what is happening, but there are too many variables still to be brought up.

The loss of CommuniCore West is tragic, absolutely. And, despite the fact that the Festival Center was controversial and probably unnecessary, it really stinks that it is canned too. I'd much rather see it built than nothing at all/an astroturf field in its' place.

The mandated inclusion of IP is unfortunate, but I am willing to see what it brings to the park. Some of the additions are tastefully done, but it doesn't make the park unenjoyable.

I love the Epcot of old, I mourn the loss of its inherent integrity, but I am willing to give the people in charge who care the benefit of the doubt.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There is way too much information that hasn't yet been provided to the masses to give me a firm indication that the functioning of the park is going into the mud. I'm not saying that ISN'T what is happening, but there are too many variables still to be brought up.

The loss of CommuniCore West is tragic, absolutely. And, despite the fact that the Festival Center was controversial and probably unnecessary, it really stinks that it is canned too. I'd much rather see it built than nothing at all/an astroturf field in its' place.

The mandated inclusion of IP is unfortunate, but I am willing to see what it brings to the park. Some of the additions are tastefully done, but it doesn't make the park unenjoyable.

I love the Epcot of old, I mourn the loss of its inherent integrity, but I am willing to give the people in charge who care the benefit of the doubt.

Perhaps it’s my slightly-altered sense of smell since my Covid infection, but I smell nothing malodorous about the bar-on-legs being cancelled.

Those in charge have long since lost my benefit of the doubt. I no longer trust them to build a dog house. What they are doing to Epcot is just another example of why they cannot be trusted.

trainplane3

Perhaps it’s my slightly-altered sense of smell since my Covid infection, but I smell nothing malodorous about the bar-on-legs being cancelled.

Those in charge have long since lost my benefit of the doubt. I no longer trust them to build a dog house. What they are doing to Epcot is just another example of why they cannot be trusted.
What if it's a dog house with extremely beautiful rockwork on the front? Current WDI has proven they can do incredible rockwork.
And a oversized green box behind it because whoops we can't hide something properly anymore.

The table is a very neat piece of architecture and feels Epcot if you can overlook the rectangle for the elevator in the middle but that's it. It's too small, too awkwardly placed, and you know it'll be lacking in a few years. It's a band-aid on a larger issue but it had to be built so a project manager could have their name tied to doing "something great".

I mentioned Future World East to someone and was met with "It's World Discovery now. FW isn't a thing anymore" instantly. They're pushing this stuff so hard, it really feels like there's no transition. It's just THAT now even though literally nothing has changed and everything that's new is a construction wall or a dirt pile right now. Of course this is from an area that isn't WDI but is involved on a limited basis.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom