News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All the descriptions are so purposely vague...like they don't even have a handle on what anything they are describing means...
I still don't get the Moana Splash area and fountain as making any sort of sense at the main convergence point of the park... Wouldn't it make more sense to build an actual Pacific Islands pavilion and have Moana's Journey Of Water as their centerpiece attraction? Everything described feels so short-sited and shoehorned... Like in 10 years they are going to have to tear it all down again and fix the mess they are making with it this go around...
There's a hub fountain coming which is not Journey of Water which is just a straight up replacement for Fountain of Nations.

The Journey of Water is, by my guess, a way to draw people to the underutilized Sea Pavilion. The once-planned but now discareded redesign of the hub opened up a swath from entrance to The Seas, and this is just filling that swath.

It also, IMO, is a major upgrade to the design of what was once Future World. While the pavilions of FW had unique architectures that spoke to the theme of their attractions, the landscaping in front of them was pretty generic. Journey of Water will lead right up to the Seas and enhance its theme.

Based on the last PR statement, it seems they're punting on a festival building and just putting a garden (with booths!) in it its place as a literal placeholder for now.

October82

There's a hub fountain coming which is not Journey of Water which is just a straight up replacement for Fountain of Nations.

The Journey of Water is, by my guess, a way to draw people to the underutilized Sea Pavilion. The once-planned but now discareded redesign of the hub opened up a swath from entrance to The Seas, and this is just filling that swath.

It also, IMO, is a major upgrade to the design of what was once Future World. While the pavilions of FW had unique architectures that spoke to the theme of their attractions, the landscaping in front of them was pretty generic. Journey of Water will lead right up to the Seas and enhance its theme.

Based on the last PR statement, it seems they're punting on a festival building and just putting a garden (with booths!) in it its place as a literal placeholder for now.

Just hoping that placeholder doesn't last decades. In the past, an awful lot of temporary fixes have become permanent fixtures.

Bocabear

The "Event Lawn"... it will never become anything in the future...an area that costs little to nothing to maintain and lowers the overall maintenance in the park....and they can rent it out. I would not expect it to become anything in the future...which is sad.
Meanwhile that World Showplace tent what was built as a temporary Millennium celebration space is 21 years old and still going strong...while they tear down permanent buildings that could have hosted events like this
And I don't know that The Seas pavilion is underused...It always seems busy when I go there... I would say the Imagination Pavilion is more "Underused", but they created both of these problems by neglecting and ruining the attractions that were in each of them...Want to draw more attendance to The Seas pavilion? add a great attraction to it, re-focus on the original concept and do something fresh... A Moana Splash Zone is not going to make people go "Hey! We haven't been in the Seas with Nemo and Friends! "...People are not skipping the pavilion because they can't find it...maybe because it's just not fresh and memorable... None of the attractions suffer from attendance loss because people can't find them... If it is a great attraction, people will find it.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Festival Area is a compromise. Expect some nice landscaping, plenty on room for booths and tables, a stage area (or at least a place for a stage) and maybe some astro turf.

I'm under the impression that the coffee table is not dead. It's "pushed until we need it/can afford it" which means there is plenty of time for a potential redesign, but there's an exec (trying to nail who down) that was the table's advocate. That exec is still there, and that is why we are getting "placeholder for cool festival center" instead of festival center-lite. My personal guess is that something will be built on that space once private events have bounced back to roughly where they were pre-COVID.

Haymarket2008

Festival Area is a compromise. Expect some nice landscaping, plenty on room for booths and tables, a stage area (or at least a place for a stage) and maybe some astro turf.

I'm under the impression that the coffee table is not dead. It's "pushed until we need it/can afford it" which means there is plenty of time for a potential redesign, but there's an exec (trying to nail who down) that was the table's advocate. That exec is still there, and that is why we are getting "placeholder for cool festival center" instead of festival center-lite. My personal guess is that something will be built on that space once private events have bounced back to roughly where they were pre-COVID.

Thanks for this info. I just hope it looks......good.

Any details about the remaining bits of World Celebration? Has there been much modification or are we getting what was largely announced?

Or just ANY details about the Future World redesign as a whole? A little bit in the dark about this one. Just hoping for some legitimate change instead of "lets just get these walls down and we'll come back to it".

wedenterprises

I'd be ok with an astro turf area similar to the fireworks FP areas in the MK hub. It's one of my favourite spots in any park, especially when I'm with the little ones.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It will be by the time they finish "value engineering" the crap out of it like most other projects...
The most recent press release describes the interactive water feature as it always did. You can' reduce it to one-twentieth its size and not install any fountains but instead put in a rubber pad and call it a day.

When a project is over budget and they need to cut, they reduce in scope, not make it into completely something else. Galaxy's Edge lost a lot of its streetmosphere... Smuggler's Run and RotR weren't replaced with flats.

JoW may lose a fountain, it's not going to become a splash pad.

Bocabear

The most recent press release describes the interactive water feature as it always did. You can' reduce it to one-twentieth its size and not install any fountains but instead put in a rubber pad and call it a day.

When a project is over budget and they need to cut, they reduce in scope, not make it into completely something else. Galaxy's Edge lost a lot of its streetmosphere... Smuggler's Run and RotR weren't replaced with flats.

I am sure it will have some of the elements of the original concept but fully expect it to be dumbed down substantially...and end up more of a water play area....I will be quite shocked if it ends up being the spectacular attraction they have hyped...And trust me, I would LOVE to be wrong about that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Management is sooooo concerned about expenses that they will ultimately lose guests at the various parks.
They always manage to find reasons not to continue with upgrades, new attractions, etc. Covid19 is just another excuse to stop.
This is the time to get upgrades done, new attractions completed, renovations completed, etc. while attendance is down. But that is thinking and planning. Obviously management does not think that way and continues to want guests to walk through vast plywood canyons as they move from one place to another.

I felt from the start that the “vague” was a built in escape hatch. As if they really didn’t want to spend it and would let circumstances dictate.

Two words: Hyperion wharf

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

So you’re using something that feels “underbuilt”...And that’s a fairly established opinion before you say it’s only me...

As a “reassuring” example?

...it could work...I guess? 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom