News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

castlecake2.0

Cameras distort depth, (some more than others) it's just the way that the two dimensional image is reproduced vs how our eyes see things when we are actually there.
I get the intention, that we can see these odd looking hotels from in the park.
Personally, I've actually always liked seeing them.
In part, because they are off in the distance.
I never found that they broke immersion for me, because they were outside of the particular park I was in.
They don't take me out of the illusion, because I know that I am still seeing Disney.
And I hate seeing them from the park lol but I know a lot of people share your opinion that it doesn’t bother them because it’s all part of Walt Disney World. I just wish they complimented World Showcase better. Either way we are stuck with them!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It just depends on how you view the World Showcase thematically, as virtually traveling to 11 countries or being in a theme park representing those countries. I think they're "ok" because you don't really see them if you're IN each country. If you could, then I'd have a bigger problem with it.

Florida is extremely flat, it's difficult to obscure pretty much anything from view across the resort in different angles.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Think of them as just more national pavilions...

Swance2.png

sedati

That comparison doesn't work as well because the Contemporary was designed to thematically blend in with Tomorrowland

Also, I'm no camera expert, but the way the Swolphin looks REALLY depends on the kind of lens being used right?
Except Tomorrowland was rendered in white curves and a diminutive scale from the gray angular full-scale behemoth looming beyond it.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

And I hate seeing them from the park lol but I know a lot of people share your opinion that it doesn’t bother them because it’s all part of Walt Disney World. I just wish they complimented World Showcase better. Either way we are stuck with them!

I hate seeing them too (I don't really like Michael Graves' architectural style in general), but as I said above, I think they're a bit different than show buildings inside the park. Disney had the option to hide those show buildings; I'm not sure they had the same option to build the Swan and Dolphin in a way that hid them from the park. At least they didn't build generic office building towers.

comics101

Think of them as just more national pavilions...

View attachment 603232

In all honesty, I think that’s a really good way of viewing S&D, and I think this description reveals why they are more acceptable in terms of their view from inside EPCOT than is the gravity building. They’re something to look at and are certainly unique and different. Like them? Dislike them?—they’re not just a blue showbuilding plopped in view of guests. The Guardians warehouse however is just that: an un-themed show building.

Further, while many (probably most) don’t find the S&D to be particularly attractive buildings, there is a style to them, and I’m sure there are post-modern/Michael Graves fans who find the structures to be appealing. While I’ll probably receive responses from people on these boards saying “Psh I’d take the gravity building over S&D any day,” I find it unlikely that there are architects/fans of architecture that would argue that there is more value in a blue warehouse than in those two hotel buildings. That says a lot about current management and how the WDW property is being run today, and it’s really a shame.

Last edited:

sedati

Tomorrowland has two occupied levels. It is very much “full scale” (even though that is a nonsense term).
Visibly no, excepting the PeopleMover and old Skyway Stations. Everywhere else the second story appears smaller than the first level. The ceiling literally drops as you exit the PeopleMover station.

lazyboy97o

Visibly no, excepting the PeopleMover and old Skyway Stations. Everywhere else the second story appears smaller than the first level. The ceiling literally drops as you exit the PeopleMover station.
Different ceiling and floor-to-floor heights are typical features of buildings. Many multistory buildings have a first floor that is taller than the rest, it’s rather typical.

castlecake2.0

In all honesty, I think that’s a really good way of viewing S&D, and I think this description reveals why they are more acceptable in terms of their view from inside EPCOT than is the gravity building. They’re something to look at and are certainly unique and different. Like them? Dislike them?—they’re not just a blue showbuilding plopped in view of guests. The Guardians warehouse however is just that: an un-themed show building.

Further, while many (probably most) don’t find the S&D to be particularly attractive buildings, there is a style to them, and I’m sure there are post-modern/Michael Graves fans who find the structures to be appealing. While I’ll probably receive responses from people on these boards saying “Psh I’d take the gravity building over S&D any day,” I find it unlikely that there are architects/fans of architecture that would argue that there is more value in a blue warehouse than in those two hotel buildings. That says a lot about current management and how the WDW property is being run today, and it’s really a shame.
The issue I have is from Mexico to China when you looks across the lagoon there is no way you don’t notice the Swalphin, and they do not fit the style of world showcase and I find it jarring. The big blue building for the most part disappears into the sky and is much easier to ignore, and I’d rather it be go away blue than themed to something that takes away attention from SSE. I don’t mind MG architecture, I’m pretty much surrounded by it in Celebration. I just don’t like MG architecture when it’s towering over 1890s France. I also hate the the giant blue soarin hanger behind Canada, that could have been hidden with a built up berm and trees. I think, like mentioned above, Epcot suffers from its vastness and flatness which makes it difficult to hide certain things from different angles.

Epcot82Guy

The issue I have is from Mexico to China when you looks across the lagoon there is no way you don’t notice the Swalphin, and they do not fit the style of world showcase and I find it jarring. The big blue building for the most part disappears into the sky and is much easier to ignore, and I’d rather it be go away blue than themed to something that takes away attention from SSE. I don’t mind MG architecture, I’m pretty much surrounded by it in Celebration. I just don’t like MG architecture when it’s towering over 1890s France. I also hate the the giant blue soarin hanger behind Canada, that could have been hidden with a built up berm and trees. I think, like mentioned above, Epcot suffers from its vastness and flatness which makes it difficult to hide certain things from different angles.

I see what you're saying. I think the big problem I have is at least Swolphin (and Tower for that matter) are on stage locations themselves. I totally see what you are saying, and they are brash. No questions asked.

Aside from having been there longer (desensitized), they aren't back stage buildings. They are places to go, and places I love and associate as WDW locations. The thing I loved about Disney was how hidden those things always seemed. It wasn't perfect at all, but it felt like they always tried (absent things like the Skyway). There is no reason to see this box. I know it's "needed" but it makes this harder to swallow for me. And no amount of blue paint can fix that.

I remember when there was an uproar about the unfinished side of Everest, which they then fixed. This just feels very poorly placed and jarring for an attraction that doesn't even fit it's location's story to begin with.

Haymarket2008

This is minutiae, but it looks like World Discovery will have a “sandy” flooring color. The striped section to the left of Guardians seems to act as a transition. Anyone else notice this? I thought the whole park was going to the grey that is found in the entrance plaza.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom