Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

yensidtlaw1969

Adventureland only ever had two *rides.* A paltry showing and a shame to Disney.

Until Aladdins Carpets came and made it a truly fleshed-out and complete land... one of the best, now with *three* rides!!
But it had several distinct, noteworthy Attractions. The Tiki Room and Treehouse aren't heavy-hitting E-Tickets, but they round out the experience of the land by giving it meaningful ways to spend your time outside of parting with more of your cash.

Imagine an Adventureland where Pirates was longer but with half the capacity, Jungle was 1/3rd as long, there was no Tiki Room, the Treehouse was merely a display unavailable for guests to explore, and a Citrus Swirl was $8. And no Carpets, of course. That's closer to the current model.

None of which considers the fact that the park the land is seated in has MANY more offerings overall than DHS. The onus isn't on Adventureland to be the white knight for MK the way it was on Galaxy's Edge for DHS.

And Adventureland didn't cost a Billion dollars.

doctornick

Adventureland only ever had two *rides.* A paltry showing and a shame to Disney.

Until Aladdins Carpets came and made it a truly fleshed-out and complete land... one of the best, now with *three* rides!!

I get the joke, but it actually underlies the problem. Adventureland even with 2 rides had "more to do" because of non ride attractions. Personally, I think the biggest issue with GE is the lack of not ride "stuff" to fill time. They should have some integrated M&Gs, entertainment, non-ride shows or walk throughs, etc.

Galaxy's Edge depends much too strongly on paid enhancements (lightsaber building, droid building, cantina) to round out the experience. That's the largest flaw, far more than the setting or timeframe of the land. At the very least, there should be some way to experience some lesser part of the droid factor/lightsaber building without paying for them.

Ldno

To me, the craziest omission from Galaxies Edge is that there is no use of the force....thats the 1 thing that makes star wars really great imo. Its like if universal built harry potter land but decided not to have magic wands....its insane.

I figured theyd start selling new magic bands (call them force bands) that have gyroscopic and bluetooth capabilities that let it link to your phone that you could use to interact with objects around the land. Imagine being able to "lift" up the static x wing by standing in a certain place, having your force band connect with a pulse or something and then displaying the hand motions to interact with it, like raising your arm and lifting it like a jedi would. You could expand that tech all over the park as well....Imagine standing in line for Indiana Jones and being able to make the spikes with skulls on them go up and down, or a stalagtite spin around....simple stuff like that would go a long way into making a really cool augmented reality and digital version of the park to explore with 100s of things to unlock and discover. You would have it all linked to your phone with the "disney force" app and you could see stats like youve found 78 out of 160 things to use the force on, creating a reason to explore areas you wouldnt normally. It also doesnt have to use physical objects, you could use the force to trigger sounds, gusts of wind, water features....its really an imagineers dream imo. Its limitless

Now that you mention this, they could have killed this in a colossal way by having “force” transparent lightsaber holders in savi’s to give the idea that you are using the force while they activate the sequence, that would had been amazing.

WDI didn’t make the wrong choices, the Bob’s did. And their wrong choices aren’t going to be fixed as easily as adding a BGM loop and some walk-around characters. That will improve atmosphere, but they still under built it. As with NFL, 2 attractions is pathetically underwhelming for the amount of money spent.

You know now that I think about they heavily recycle the use of ”take off/flying” fighters around, it’s the signature sound I always recognize, when I saw they won an award for immersive soundtrack I was like where? It’s too loud to hear anything, even in Oga’s, I recognize the Star Tours jingle and song more than anything in Batuu to be honest.

I really don't care about character meet and greets (OT, ST, or otherwise). I'm hoping they add vignettes to all the little stages, catwalks, rooftops, and platforms that are strewn about SW:GE. Driods, creatures, moving machinery, Stormtroopers, recon tower sentries, etc. would make the place come alive. These could periodically become mini "shows" for guests to watch. I'm pretty sure this is what was originally intended for SW:GE.

Not sure the area needs actual background music. I'd be fine with more ambient sounds plus muffled music that seem to be coming from inside the various buildings. Layer that with the sound coming from activity vignettes, and it would really create the immersion they say they were after.
Yes!!! Social distanced Rey/Kylo could be perfect to storm something up

I just want an indoor coaster or an outdoor speeder bike coaster that glides along the mountain spires. Is that too much to ask for?
The sequence from Rebel Assault II comes to mind and any thing speed bike would be epic!!!

From my understanding the whole point of them choosing Batuu is so they wouldn't be tied down to any one specific trilogy of films. They shot themselves in the foot by setting it in-between what would become the "divisive" Star Wars films Ep 8 & 9 even though both of these films had yet to be released. A lot of people seem to forget that this land and the decisions were made for it long before Ep 8 and 9 were released. In hindsight, they should've gone with Batuu being an all inclusive Star Wars land not tied to any specific time period.
All I remember is the rumors leading up to Episode 9, where “insider” info wanted Batuu canonized in the film, It makes absolute sense in my mind that Kijimi was Batuu, it has the same architecture and doors with the stairs, at this rate it they probably renamed it to Kijimi after they were like oh Hey lets blow up the planet, when they could literally have done so with the first planet under ice.

No. They put it in the books and comics after they decided to call the land Batuu. Books and comics the majority of people do not read. They didn't even include it in one of the new movies that is how inept Disney's Star Wars is.

I will forever hate the notion that Disney always like to expand the story outside the movie, so basically If i want to hear palpatine came back I have to buy the book, watch this, play this game to hear the famous message That was broadcasted, etc. Everything should be explained in the film then the books should be film encyclopedias.

The galaxy edge’s discord server is completely in love with the idea, but I’m like I have too many fandoms to keep up with that I’m just like Hey they could had explained this or had two other movies leading up to this. Lololol

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Well, Solo was released in May of 2018... filmed in 2017... Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland opened May 31, 2019, over a year later. I'll let you do the math on that one.
YEAH BUT THEY BUILT OR WERE IN PROCESS OF BUILDING THE LAND BEFORE THE MOVIE THAT IS WHY IT WAS MENTIONED SIMILAR TO HOW YOU VISIT THE LAND IN STAR TOURS BEFORE THE LAND OPENED. MY ORIGINAL POINT STILL STANDS.

Animaniac93-98

Galaxy's Edge depends much too strongly on paid enhancements (lightsaber building, droid building, cantina) to round out the experience. That's the largest flaw, far more than the setting or timeframe of the land. At the very least, there should be some way to experience some lesser part of the droid factor/lightsaber building without paying for them.

It's obvious they went through Harry Potter and made a list of the things people were buying and thought they could replicate that success despite charging so much more for a lightsaber vs a wand (that you're not allowed to play with in the land), saying you can't wear the dress up clothes sold in the stores and the hit or miss success with blue/green milk...which wasn't even their first or second attempt to do their own butter beer.

doctornick

It's obvious they went through Harry Potter and made a list of the things people were buying and thought they could replicate that success despite charging so much more for a lightsaber vs a wand (that you're not allowed to play with in the land), saying you can't wear the dress up clothes sold in the stores and the hit or miss success with blue/green milk...which wasn't even their first or second attempt to do their own butter beer.

And on that note... one can "do" the show at Ollivander's without buying anything. It's a small but real attraction in the land. No reason something similar couldn't exist for either the droid factory or lightsaber shop (or both!) where there's a mini-show for all separate from the more robust paid experience where you get the souveneir.

_caleb

which wasn't even their first or second attempt to do their own butter beer.
Mmmm... LeFou’s Brew (MK)/Red’s Apple Freeze (DCA)...

EPCOT-O.G.

Assuming Disney misread the room in terms of consumers’ expectations and desires for Galaxy’s Edge (abandoned LARPing aspects, locking it into an undesired and restrictive time frame) with no easy fixes...is anyone worried how this new hotel is going to be received?

Ldno

If you ever have a chance to do Imageering in A Box sponsored by Khan Academy, they legit cover a lot of topics and few of the “promised” stuff that was going to happen before 2019! They show the droid that would had been roaming around the park and a few detailed Disney Imageering blackboard details about the land. It’s like they specifically say, no idea is a bad one, they just shelf it for future use!!!

A lot of good inside “public” information such as how they are rides are meant to be designed, with intervals and scenes in mind.

JohnD

For me the beauty of Galaxies Edge is that it can quickly be themed to any Star Wars era. As it’s not based on an existing planet from a film or show it allows for any character set to appear.

True. Except for Rise of the Resistance. It's distinctly set in a First Order timeframe with Rey and the gang. Millennium Falcon could be set earlier because Hondo has been around a long time. You could make a quick update where Hondo says that Han is off on a separate mission and left him in charge of the Falcon.

Darth Snips

Just got off Star Tours, and I experienced something really odd. We got a sequence with Jakku in it, but when we got the video message from the Falcon, it was Rey instead of Finn. Did they get Daisy Ridley in to record new footage? I had no idea they even had that bit. I’ve certainly never experienced it before. Has anyone else seen this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom