NBA Experience at Disney Springs

Bocabear

How about a Cirque Du Soleil walk through experience and restaurant...a bizarre mysterious environment created by the Cirque designers... including an other-worldly cocktail bar, an Escape attraction, Games, a shop and a refresh of the downstairs restaurant to theme... People love themed environments... Look at the cookie place...
It would be an amazing Must-Do attraction... And the adjacent Cirque Show makes it the most perfect fit...

Lilofan

How about a Cirque Du Soleil walk through experience and restaurant...a bizarre mysterious environment created by the Cirque designers... including an other-worldly cocktail bar, an Escape attraction, Games, a shop and a refresh of the downstairs restaurant to theme... People love themed environments... Look at the cookie place...
It would be an amazing Must-Do attraction... And the adjacent Cirque Show makes it the most perfect fit...
You should email Cirque execs on your idea. Daniel Lamarre is the CEO.

Bocabear

It feels like that entire end of Disney Springs needs a shot in the arm... House Of Blues is tired...it needs something...
Cirque has been shuttered for 2 years, and the NBA crap was about the worst idea ever...
Seems like they are removing theme from Splitsville... I would think that a Cirque based attraction/Restaurant/Bar would give people someplace exciting to go that would be more fabulous than Gideon's Bakehouse. It is pretty sad when the premiere shopping destination owned by the world leader in themed entertainment's best themed shop is a cookie place.
They can do better...they should do better.
And if anyone needs convincing look at the lines for Gideon's Bakehouse... Cookies are goo, sure, but it's that bit of extra magic that drives attendance....Something old Disney used to understand....

GimpYancIent

It feels like that entire end of Disney Springs needs a shot in the arm... House Of Blues is tired...it needs something...
Cirque has been shuttered for 2 years, and the NBA crap was about the worst idea ever...
Seems like they are removing theme from Splitsville... I would think that a Cirque based attraction/Restaurant/Bar would give people someplace exciting to go that would be more fabulous than Gideon's Bakehouse. It is pretty sad when the premiere shopping destination owned by the world leader in themed entertainment's best themed shop is a cookie place.
They can do better...they should do better.
And if anyone needs convincing look at the lines for Gideon's Bakehouse... Cookies are goo, sure, but it's that bit of extra magic that drives attendance....Something old Disney used to understand....
Agreed, start by reutilizing the NBA experience space for something that is interesting and entertaining.

PS; How much is the NBA paying Disney to utilize the space and to spread the propaganda, I mean advertising, that the NBA is actually really popular outside of China,

Last edited:
In the Parks
Yes
Tampa is absolutely a great NHL franchise, but almost all the problems with an NBA experience are going to be there for an NHL experience plus hockey is a less popular sport and far less accessible to newcomers outside of Canada and Canada-adjacent locations.

And I'm not just saying that as someone who will (full bias disclosure) spend the next 20 years mad at anything and everything that goes into that building over DisneyQuest being murdered. It was a solid concept that just needed a refresh with modern arcade and VR tech!!

LSLS

Tampa is absolutely a great NHL franchise, but almost all the problems with an NBA experience are going to be there for an NHL experience plus hockey is a less popular sport and far less accessible to newcomers outside of Canada and Canada-adjacent locations.

And I'm not just saying that as someone who will (full bias disclosure) spend the next 20 years mad at anything and everything that goes into that building over DisneyQuest being murdered. It was a solid concept that just needed a refresh with modern arcade and VR tech!!

As a die hard hockey fan, totally agree. Honestly the place is too large for a single sport in general. I still think the easy fix is this becomes an espn area. Put a good sports bar in (don't recycle the boardwalk menu/service), and then instead of a bunch of things dedicated to one sport, you have sections for basketball, baseball, football, etc. I mean, can't fault disney for not doing it in that the nba wanted to pay for this, but it failed like 15 miles away.

lazyboy97o

As a die hard hockey fan, totally agree. Honestly the place is too large for a single sport in general. I still think the easy fix is this becomes an espn area. Put a good sports bar in (don't recycle the boardwalk menu/service), and then instead of a bunch of things dedicated to one sport, you have sections for basketball, baseball, football, etc. I mean, can't fault disney for not doing it in that the nba wanted to pay for this, but it failed like 15 miles away.
NBA City was just a restaurant and Universal wanted the space for themselves. It was entirely Universal’s decision for that venue to close.

In the Parks
Yes
"ESPN Zone" is definitely a big positive step compared to what's there now, although I'd honestly rather see them build up attractions in/at Wide World of Sports. WWoS feels very underutilized and also very isolated from the rest of the property - going all in on the 'you experience the pro game' concept down there, and diversifying out to basketball/baseball/football/soccer/hockey experiences, certainly can't hurt it and the relative isolation is easily solved by running busses down there after the grab bag of upcharge experiences turns it into "ESPN Springs."

And then this building can revert to the glorious DisneyQuest 2.0 of my dreams!

Cadbury

I wonder how an NHL experience would do considering there is a successful NHL franchise right down the road.
Probably the same as the NBA experience. They could put in a MLS experience and have it associated with Orlando City SC but then again, not everyone is a soccer and/or a sports fan.

The Grand Inquisitor

How successful was the restaurant? I honestly don't remember it. But, it's not something I would have gone to, frankly.
It was pretty cruddy tbh. I only went to it once back in 2014 I believe. Toothsome is WAY better. Toothsome has amazing milkshakes and food as well! The salads and burgers are absolutely fantastic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom