Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

The Empress Lilly

Shark Reef is an attraction that is unique, beautifully supports the theme of the park that it's in, and is one of those things guests are often amazed to learn is included with park admission. Very typical of 80s/90s Disney.

And in other words, has no place at all in modern WDW. Without an obvious IP tie-in, it was probably doomed for a while now.

I'm glad I had the chance to do it as much as I did, and feel bad for future park guests that won't get to do the same.
I can't believe they closed the reef. It was unique. It was fabulously themed. And above all it offered diversity in the day. I can only do so many slides before they all start to blend together. In water temperature, motion, nature of the experience the reef was unique and compkementary.

It also brought you close to nature, added lush tropical atmosphere to the setting. Showed nature dominating man, a theme of the park. Whereas the now two large mechanical water slide / coasters on this side will destroy that atmosphere and undo the theme.

Typhoon is my favourite water park, the reef an essential element of my routine: wave pool -> slides -> lazy rIver -> reef. Thrill, relaxation, exploration - you know, what a succesful theme park formula is made of. That's my day, I always seek out a spot in that side of the park.

Once again Disney has crushed me. I'm gutted about this. :cry::cry:

ryguy

Wonder if the plan down the road is to use this area to help with virtual queue. Personally I hope its for another attraction, the more the merrier.

Absimilliard

Slightly off topic: when I went to Singapore last month for the IAAPA show, I discovered that a local waterpark still has an experience like Shark Reef.

Adventure Cove is a waterpark next to Universal Studios Singapore that has some imaginative attractions like a lazy river through an aquarium and Rainbow Reef. Rainbow Reef is like Shark Reef: snorkel around an aquarium filled with many fishes.

View media item 3718
View media item 3717

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom