Tomorrowland Slides from 1976-1978...Space Mountain was Brand New

profscottraynor

Original Poster
I wanted to post another batch of these cleaned up slides from the mid-late 1970's. Some awesome shots of Tomorrowland including the spires and a shiny new space mountain.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.itats.org/walt-disney-world-slides-1970s-part-v-tomorrowland/

TomCover.jpg

profscottraynor

Original Poster
I remember going when Space Mountain opened. I had to be checked for height requirements and then waiting in line for almost a day...well, not that long but lines use to be 3+ hours.

I was born in 72 and I was not nearly tall enough when we went in 1976. I had to watch my older brothers ride it and talk endlessly about how supercool it was...

I went back home and started marking my height on the interior closet door until I finally hit the growth spurt.

Epcot-Rules

I was born in 72 and I was not nearly tall enough when we went in 1976. I had to watch my older brothers ride it and talk endlessly about how supercool it was...

I went back home and started marking my height on the interior closet door until I finally hit the growth spurt.
I also was born in 72. My first trip was in 76.I remember my brother and sisters being able to ride but I was to small. Sad part is, It wouldn't be until 2005 before I made it back to Disney with my own children. Thanks for posting Scott. This is a trip down memory lane!

profscottraynor

Original Poster
I also was born in 72. My first trip was in 76.I remember my brother and sisters being able to ride but I was to small. Sad part is, It wouldn't be until 2005 before I made it back to Disney with my own children. Thanks for posting Scott. This is a trip down memory lane!

It's good to know there were other kids feeling my pain in being too short for the Magic Kingdom's coolest new ride!

I'm glad you made it back in 2005. Probably felt like two different "worlds".

hth1917

Would you say that more for the theming and atmosphere or more specifically for the rides?

Both, I'd say. The gleaming white modernist architecture was the most visually-inspiring part of the Magic Kingdom to me when I was a child. Seeing photos of those towering entrance spires with their waterfalls really makes my heart hurt--so much more beautiful than the clutter that we have there now. Attraction-wise, IYHW to Dreamflight to Buzz Lightyear is a fairly obvious decline. Stitch I hope I don't even need to mention (though I liked Alien Encounter, which came in with the Tomorrowland redesign).

profscottraynor

Original Poster
Both, I'd say. The gleaming white modernist architecture was the most visually-inspiring part of the Magic Kingdom to me when I was a child. Seeing photos of those towering entrance spires with their waterfalls really makes my heart hurt--so much more beautiful than the clutter that we have there now. Attraction-wise, IYHW to Dreamflight to Buzz Lightyear is a fairly obvious decline. Stitch I hope I don't even need to mention (though I liked Alien Encounter, which came in with the Tomorrowland redesign).

I agree and even on a deeper level I feel like Tomorrowland has lost its way from the idea of "progress" and future. Yet I understand the impossibility to portray a vision for the future in our fast paced world that wouldn't grow stale within months.

Daniel Johnson

The retro slides are not mine. My Mom bought them back in the 1970's on our yearly trips to WDW. We recently found them and I clean them up in Photoshop.
I never got to see disney in the 70s, as i was born in 1980. My first MK trip was when I was 7. All I remember was my father getting pulled over for speeding, my mother losing her purse, and it's a small world.
Your photos make me want to be born in the 70s. Simply awesome.

profscottraynor

Original Poster
I never got to see disney in the 70s, as i was born in 1980. My first MK trip was when I was 7. All I remember was my father getting pulled over for speeding, my mother losing her purse, and it's a small world.
Your photos make me want to be born in the 70s. Simply awesome.

I have the same feeling for Disneyland in the 50's and 60's! Wish I was around when Walt was walking the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom