8 year old and all the walking..

Lvr123

Original Poster
Hi all

This is my first post *waves* :)

We're in the UK and booking Disney World for September this year. I have a daughter that will be 2 and a half, and a just turned 8 year old.

My son is active in general and spends alot of time running around, but also whenever we have to walk anywhere he whines and moans to the extreme about being tired and his legs hurting. He does struggle with his knees (unfortunately just like his dad and the drs haven't found anything wrong with them - but he does complain of them aching at night after he's had an active day)..

We're also not used to the hot weather in Florida. We came in November 2014 and took an old stroller thinking we'd just stick some bags in there and he could jump in on the off chance he was too tired. As it went, he was actually in it quite alot as he struggled with the time difference and the heat (even though it wasn't particularly hot, just not what we're used to) along with the walking.

So now I don't know what to do about our trip this year. We'll be staying close to Disney in Lake Buena Vista and probably UBERing to the parks. But we'll use Disney transportation whilst in the parks.

He's 172lbs and 134cm tall so won't fit easily in a smaller stroller if he wanted to borrow his sister's.. do I get a big stroller just for my daughter and a carrier so I can stick her in that if he wants a break/nap while we're out, do I get a bigger double stroller to put bags in the other side until he wants a sit down, or do I just tell him to suck it up and we'll take lots of breaks back at the hotel and take it really easy?

My husband looked at me like I was crazy when I spoke to him about it, he said no way is he pushing an 8 year old in a stroller :oops: and this is the only circumstance I would ever consider it, I guess I'm just thinking about my own sanity and and his sore knees.

Any help would be much appreciated, I feel like I've thought about this way too much already!!!

Nemo14

I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I have seen older kids being pushed around in a wheelchair at the parks, especially 2 at a time.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I would rather hire a double stroller from the parks for him to sit in on his own to be honest..
Is 172 lbs a typo? If not, the double stroller will not accommodate his weight, let alone that of an additional two year old.

AF1A1F04-A102-4342-ADE1-0580F39D2AC6.jpeg

Lvr123

Original Poster
I've just found this jogging stroller online, really reasonable price if we get it delivered whilst in the US, and weight capacity up to 75lbs (if I buy it myself I won't mind if my son is a few lbs over the weight limit as long as we take extra bags off whilst he's in).. I could take a lightweight carrier for my daughter to go in.

http://joovy.com/zoom-360-ultralight/

Do you all think this would be ok for use in the parks or would it be too big?

jimbojones

When one of my kids was 5 she was super whiney about walking (thankfully she outgrew it about a year later), but at WDW she had no problem walking all day and didn't complain because we were always walking to something that was exciting for her. It may not be as bad as you expect once in the parks.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

It does seem like a lot of walking but it is easy to take breaks and sit down. We did this with our kids when they were young. We stopped using a stroller when they hit 5. Our day was: we would go on a ride or 2, sit down and have a drink or a snack, potty break. Then hit a couple more rides, sit and have lunch, rides, break, rinse and repeat. They never complained about tired legs and we also made sure they had plenty of water. As a side note, I suffered from horrible leg pains in my youth and into adulthood. I found that it was more of a dehydration issue. When I don't drink enough water then my legs pain me. So I always make sure that I am drinking plenty of water, especially on active days. Also, when my girls were that age they firmly believed that strollers where for babies and would not be caught dead in them. I can't imagine an 8 year old boy would want his friends to see him riding around in a stroller.

jimbojones

... Also, when my girls were that age they firmly believed that strollers where for babies and would not be caught dead in them. I can't imagine an 8 year old boy would want his friends to see him riding around in a stroller.
This is a good point, my kids would have been mortified had I suggested they ride in a stroller at 8. In the US an 8 year old would stand out if they were in a stroller without having a medical reason for doing so. You may want to use that as gentle motivation should the need arise? In the end of course do what works best for you and your children, I don't intend this comment as some sort of internet shaming exerise, just more to think about.

OneofThree

8 years old in a stroller? My own 8 year old would probably look at us like we were crazy if we tried to put him in one, lol. It's funny though, how much less he has to say about anything when he isn't bored. I have to imagine that walking around a theme park, your son's mind will be on anything but how much he's walking. As far as the heat -the beginning of September can still be the height of summer temps. The end of September is still pretty hot here, but temps begin to relent some by then.

Much-Pixie-Dust

We always start a “Disney” walking routine about 2-3 months before a trip. We add a bit of walking everyday until we are walking for several miles (we average 6-7 miles a day at Disney). We use it as trio planning time and talk about the excitement for our upcoming trip. It builds up her stamina (and mine). We have done this since five and haven’t needed a stroller. We also had the rule if you’re too tired and complaining, then we leave (and not to go hang out at the pool).

nickys

Premium Member
This is a good point, my kids would have been mortified had I suggested they ride in a stroller at 8. In the US an 8 year old would stand out if they were in a stroller without having a medical reason for doing so. You may want to use that as gentle motivation should the need arise? In the end of course do what works best for you and your children, I don't intend this comment as some sort of internet shaming exerise, just more to think about.

In my experience, Disney is one place where kids up to 8 or 9 are seen in a stroller, and no one really bats an eyelid at it. You see an awful lot of them, without anything to indicate a medical stroller (which I've seen tagged as such, so they can be parked in a special place or even taken right up to the ride boarding area).

Working in a primary school (in the U.K.) I once saw a 5 year old arrive to school in one! The family were running late and Mum ran across the playground with child in the stroller, just as I was shutting the door. Of course all the other kids were still getting coats off and changing shoes, so they saw him too. We had to try and quell the chatter, and the class teacher had a word with Mum at the end of the day. Never happened again lol!

To the OP, how much does your child walk normally? Does he walk to school and stuff or does he go everywhere in a car? I would just get him walking a bit at home if possible before you go; he'll likely be so excited he'll manage, and if he's tired then just take a break and sit with an ice cream and watch whatever's near by - people, a ride, characters etc.

nickys

Premium Member
I wouldn't say that no one bats an eye. Nobody really says anything withing ear shot of the family, but it is noticed and commented on all the time.

Funny how perceptions are different! We always notice, and I suppose we assumed it was more accepted than it actually is then. WDW really is the only place I've been where it seems to be relatively commonplace for kids over about 3.

jaklgreen

Funny how perceptions are different! We always notice, and I suppose we assumed it was more accepted than it actually is then. WDW really is the only place I've been where it seems to be relatively commonplace for kids over about 3.

I don't think accepted is the right term for this situation. People choose to push kids that probably do not need to be pushed in a stroller at WDW by their own choice. It is not really something that other people are going to do anything about so there is nothing to accept or not. It is silly but not to the point of something that others would step in for. Healthy children should not have any issues walking, even at WDW. That is why you really do not see that many kids that age in the strollers compared to the amount of kids that visit there. That is why it stands out so much when you see it.

correcaminos

I don't think accepted is the right term for this situation. People choose to push kids that probably do not need to be pushed in a stroller at WDW by their own choice. It is not really something that other people are going to do anything about so there is nothing to accept or not. It is silly but not to the point of something that others would step in for. Healthy children should not have any issues walking, even at WDW. That is why you really do not see that many kids that age in the strollers compared to the amount of kids that visit there. That is why it stands out so much when you see it.

I have to agree with this. Now a child with a disability I throw out of any equation and honestly I do try to think that anyone who does push a child, that maybe the child is disabled or has an illness of sorts. However I will say in the back of my mind, I wonder how many of those kids are not in need of it. I also wonder how many parents push their kids too hard and don't think about a vacation for them as much as just pushing them to limits to "see it all" no matter the cost. There is some of that too I bet.

Now my son hasn't done it as much, but when he's bored out of his mind with something he whines about how he's tired and how his legs hurt. We hush him up the moment we say "guess no Disney then" Sometimes there are legit reasons for a kid to whine, and other times they're simply lazy.

So yes, long story short, people will look at an 8yo in a stroller and while you will not hear it, people will be judging. It's not normal nor would I ever dream of doing that with a healthy/no issues 8yo.

If it is too much, slow down and break as needed. An 8yo should be able to keep up. We've done Disney in the heat of summers with younger and no strollers. I suggest that over adding more strollers to the crazy mix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom