Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The pictures aren't high enough quality but does the Dopey medal say "© Disney; Made In China" at the bottom left?

If it does, that's insanely dumb especially since the text is quite large

Yup. All the medals say that on the back.

Texas84

The medals are very well done, but are they too much? Kind of missing the old school plain ones.

debbie-downer.png

OG Runner

The sponges. I liked the sponges as you entered. And the abundance of real bathrooms as you ran around. Swear we ran by one every quarter mile.

One of the things I actually like about running through WWoS besides seeing people entering when you are leaving and the sponges, was the fact that one you were through you were about a mile and a half further along and came back out around the 20 mile mark. Then there were landmarks to the end. Get past the Green Army Man on the "exit" hill, get to Disney Studios and from there to EPCOT.

OG Runner

Everest is going to be under refurb for the Marathon...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did anyone here ever take time out to ride Everest during the Marathon. I always thought about it, but I was
more interested in finishing the race. Same reason you will never find me in a 2 block long line during the race
for a character picture. I love seeing them out there, but I really want to run the race and get it done.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Did anyone here ever take time out to ride Everest during the Marathon. I always thought about it, but I was
more interested in finishing the race. Same reason you will never find me in a 2 block long line during the race
for a character picture. I love seeing them out there, but I really want to run the race and get it done.

I run Disney to finish before the balloon ladies and to get as many characters, photos, rides, etc. as I can. I save other races for my POT for Disney for better corral placement LOL

pdude81

I stop for characters at the expense of time, but not for rides thus far. I would if it were a group trying to get a special photo or something on Everest but I run solo. Now if we have to take pictures from 45 feet away that will help my course time a lot

Texas84

No, always afraid I would pull a muscle and not be able to get out of the train. But in the good old days of running from corral A I would stop and get pictures. Almost no lines that early. Those days are gone forever.

Christi22222

So my husband is a sub 4 hour marathoner and I'm about an hour behind him. He has ridden Everest because there is no line when he goes by. Fast forward an hour to the mid packers like myself, and the line is loooong-ish and I can't bring myself to push my finish any further into the heat. So I haven't despite it really really wanting to!

GimpYancIent

Each time I have done the DOPEY there has been a period of time, as time to go to WDW and do it drew closer, where I did not feel the motivation I did when I signed up. A sort of slump. The reality is no where, that I know of, can a person run a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon then a full Marathon on consecutive days (no rest days in between) w start times 5:00 / 5:30 A.M. (invigorating) through amusement parks. There are amusement parks that have individual races on their properties, but, no where near the magnitude of the DOPEY. Then there is the intimidation (yeah fear) factor when it's time for your assigned corral to GO and you have to step over the 5 K start line to begin the Challenge and the fact of all the miles to be run over the next four days. AH but, anyone that has done the DOPEY knows, the really good feeling you experience when you cross the Marathon finish line on Sunday. It's all too brief but Damn it feels good. So yeah I see signing up for the DOPEY not just as a challenge but a commitment that once I sign up I am going to do, I am going to finish and enjoy the reward. Just this old runners perspective.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Each time I have done the DOPEY there has been a period of time, as time to go to WDW and do it drew closer, where I did not feel the motivation I did when I signed up. A sort of slump. The reality is no where, that I know of, can a person run a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon then a full Marathon on consecutive days (no rest days in between) w start times 5:00 / 5:30 A.M. (invigorating) through amusement parks. There are amusement parks that have individual races on their properties, but, no where near the magnitude of the DOPEY. Then there is the intimidation (yeah fear) factor when it's time for your assigned corral to GO and you have to step over the 5 K start line to begin the Challenge and the fact of all the miles to be run over the next four days. AH but, anyone that has done the DOPEY knows, the really good feeling you experience when you cross the Marathon finish line on Sunday. It's all too brief but Damn it feels good. So yeah I see signing up for the DOPEY not just as a challenge but a commitment that once I sign up I am going to do, I am going to finish and enjoy the reward. Just this old runners perspective.

Well put. I just fear that it's less than 4 months away and I'm really REALLY not trained. I'm having a hard time training for Wine/Dine 10k & half right now

pdude81

Well put. I just fear that it's less than 4 months away and I'm really REALLY not trained. I'm having a hard time training for Wine/Dine 10k & half right now
There's still adequate time to train for a marathon, and really that's the best I'm going for here even though I'll run each race. By the late stages of training you're running tons of miles nearly every day anyway.

I understand the drain though. It can be a huge pain finding time and motivation to get out there, and then when it's 10 degrees hotter than seasonally appropriate it's a struggle to put in a decent number of miles.

OG Runner

No, always afraid I would pull a muscle and not be able to get out of the train. But in the good old days of running from corral A I would stop and get pictures. Almost no lines that early. Those days are gone forever.
Congratulations for having started from corral A in the past. I would love to stop for photos but I run slow enough without adding
to the event by standing in lines.

surfsupdon

In Corral A, even without lines, I only stop for characters that are rare or really speak to me from my youth. Sure I will run by and wave to them as they wave back and cheer, but I only stop for important ones to me. Cruella or Hook are prime examples. Cinderella would be great too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom