Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Greenlawler

About what time did the 10k sell out?

I kept checking until like 1:00 EST. I was away from the internet from 1-4 and saw that it had sold out sometime between those hours.

pdude81

About what time did the 10k sell out?

I kept checking until like 1:00 EST. I was away from the internet from 1-4 and saw that it had sold out sometime between those hours.
Surprised here. I would have though Dopey would sell out before the half, and the 10k before either of them. Nothing makes sense in Covid time

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Surprised here. I would have though Dopey would sell out before the half, and the 10k before either of them. Nothing makes sense in Covid time
to be "properly trained" for Dopey - you would have had to start training in June. I wonder if people thought it was "too late" to train? That's part of the reason I'm waiting until 2023 to attempt Dopey

pdude81

to be "properly trained" for Dopey - you would have had to start training in June. I wonder if people thought it was "too late" to train? That's part of the reason I'm waiting until 2023 to attempt Dopey
I started out trying to train up for PR's at the marathon and then realized that the courses have choke points, people lie about seeding and block up the roads, and I would have to stop to take pictures with certain characters. So my method now is more getting my bones ramped up to that sort of mileage so I don't feel like death afterward. Everything else is gravy.

That being said I worry about getting bibs next year for marathon and dopey with the anniversaries. Hopefully I'm wrong but I actually went to the longer one this time in case I can't for '23.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
The definition of proper training isn't set in stone. I've seen programs for marathons based on a three month training
Galloway, which is why Disney pushes, is 29 weeks which would have started in June. That's what I'm basing my response off of.

I've never done a full and I haven't run more than 2-3 miles since April and not consistently. If I can get through Wine/Dine, Space Coast & Celebration this winter and not get injured...I'll go for Dopey 23

dreamfinder

I figure it may be because the Half is getting bibs pulled from both the Goofy and Dopey estimated allotments, while the 5K and 10K only have some pulled from the Dopey

True, but remember that the 5&10k are usually like half the number of runners of the half. 2019 was 11k for the 10k, and 18k for the half. So not quite half the number, but there is a decent increase. I think someone else has kept track of those numbers, but I'm ball parking about 4,400 Dopeys in 2019. (42ish per page of results, 112 pages) So it ends up being about 40% for Dopey out the gate. Now of course, who knows how the bibs were allocated this year.

RunningKoen

Galloway, which is why Disney pushes, is 29 weeks which would have started in June. That's what I'm basing my response off of.

I've never done a full and I haven't run more than 2-3 miles since April and not consistently. If I can get through Wine/Dine, Space Coast & Celebration this winter and not get injured...I'll go for Dopey 23

Isn't galloway aimed for those who havent little to no run experience?

I think I've seen more experienced runners starting their training in week 4-8-12.
Another option is just to train and aim for the marathon, use the 5 and 10K as easy warmups and do the half one extremely easy.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

I think I've seen more experienced runners starting their training in week 4-8-12.
Another option is just to train and aim for the marathon, use the 5 and 10K as easy warmups and do the half one extremely easy.
yeah but I don't like to run LOL.

OG Runner

I like the Galloway program, remember though the 29th week is after the race. The first few weeks include 30 minute recovery runs with the long run in the sixth week being a 7 mile run. If you have been running at all in the Spring you should be fine starting to gear up your training now.

OG Runner

No Galloway is for all levels. He even has some different plans based on your experience. Honestly, unless you have been
putting in some serious miles, trying to tackle a marathon after 4 or 8 weeks would be insane, and I am pretty sure you
wouldn't be happy when, (or if), you cross the finish line.

RunningKoen

No Galloway is for all levels. He even has some different plans based on your experience. Honestly, unless you have been
putting in some serious miles, trying to tackle a marathon after 4 or 8 weeks would be insane, and I am pretty sure you
wouldn't be happy when, (or if), you cross the finish line.

I ment some people start on week 4 or 8 of the program, so skipping a few weeks, instead of training so little.

I've done both my marathons with little sceduled training or preparation and it went okay :) but I wouldnt recommend that.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Or in the case of some, little to no training at all. 😉

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom