Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Rteetz

Florida enters Phase 3 which allows theme parks to operate pretty normally with limited social distancing. Still so bummed out that these races are cancelled.

I know Disney operates their reopening different than the state did, but come on!!!
Disney wasn’t blinded by this announcement. They knew or at least were aware it was coming soon. I think many would argue it’s not the right decision either. Disney isn’t going to relax all of their theme park policies anytime soon.

Surferboy567

runDisney has just done a medal spotlight on their twitter and has formally revealed the marathon medal. Like everyone thought it is indeed a spinner with Mickey on one side, and Minnie on the other.

Greenlawler

I noticed that they added Daisey to the Half medal.

For years I have thought the best way to incorporate Daisey is to eliminate one of my wife's biggest issues on registration day.

I think runDisney should establish The Daisey challenge.

The Daisey Challenge would be offered for those who want to sign up for the 5,10, and Half.

I know there would be pro's and con's.

Cons: More medals, more t-shirts, more red tape
Pros: Registration, Appeal

I think the pro's outweigh the cons. The race numbers have been trending downward, even with the uptick for the 25th. It would make registration for those trying to get into three races so much easier.

I think the Dopey finishers would be fine with paying a little less and not getting the Goofy medal or shirt. So obviously the Dopey folks would not get the Daisey.

Thoughts?

Rteetz

For years I have thought the best way to incorporate Daisey is to eliminate one of my wife's biggest issues on registration day.

The Daisey Challenge would be offered for those who want to sign up for the 5,10, and Half.

I think the pro's outweigh the cons. The race numbers have been trending downward, even with the uptick for the 25th. It would make registration for those trying to get into three races so much easier.

I think the Dopey finishers would be fine with paying a little less and not getting the Goofy medal or shirt. So obviously the Dopey folks would not get the Daisey.

Thoughts?
So you’re saying get rid of Goofy? I don’t necessarily agree with that. I don’t think another challenge is needed for this weekend. The appeal is the marathon. This is their only weekend with a marathon. If you want a half challenge you get three other weekends to choose from. This is their granddaddy of them all type event. Also given the circumstances I don’t think they are adding anything anytime soon. If anything they’ll be cutting things.

Surferboy567

Thoughts?
The reason why Marathon weekend doesn’t interest me as much (it still does) is not because of theme or any thing like that it’s because of the challenges. I want to go for a challenge, the one problem is I don’t want to do a marathon. If they did a challenge like you described with a 5K, 10K, and Half I’d be much more sold on marathon weekend. Even if it’s just 10K and half like other weekends. Of course, I am a huge Star Wars fan so that will probably have an edge but would love to do a challenge without a marathon. I also want to see how I handle my first challenge coming up.
So you’re saying get rid of Goofy? I don’t necessarily agree with that. I don’t think another challenge is needed for this weekend. The appeal is the marathon. This is their only weekend with a marathon. If you want a half challenge you get three other weekends to choose from. This is their granddaddy of them all type event. Also given the circumstances I don’t think they are adding anything anytime soon. If anything they’ll be cutting things.
Keep the same challenges, add a new one. I wouldn’t support getting rid of Goofy either. Maybe though having the marathon only challenges like now gives marathon weekend something else the other weekends don’t have? Can see your argument there, also yeah adding things is unlikely unless something happens soon.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I think the challenge that needs to be added is the one all the other races have - the 10K and half. I'd sign up for that.

GimpYancIent

The reason why Marathon weekend doesn’t interest me as much (it still does) is not because of theme or any thing like that it’s because of the challenges. I want to go for a challenge, the one problem is I don’t want to do a marathon. If they did a challenge like you described with a 5K, 10K, and Half I’d be much more sold on marathon weekend. Even if it’s just 10K and half like other weekends. Of course, I am a huge Star Wars fan so that will probably have an edge but would love to do a challenge without a marathon. I also want to see how I handle my first challenge coming up.

Keep the same challenges, add a new one. I wouldn’t support getting rid of Goofy either. Maybe though having the marathon only challenges like now gives marathon weekend something else the other weekends don’t have? Can see your argument there, also yeah adding things is unlikely unless something happens soon.
My interest in the WDW Marathon weekend was initiated when I was at the Marine Corps Marathon expo and I happen to see a Disney Marathon booth and the rep explained about the Dopey Challenge. My interest was immediately peaked, now after doing several of them I can say It is a great experience that may be themed the same each year but the actual event experience is different each time I ran one. For Disney to even consider doing away with any of the Marathon weekend would be dumb!

Greenlawler

@Rteetz, @GimpYancIent @Surferboy567

No I would not get rid of Goofy, did not imply that at all.

Limit people to sign up for one challenge, and add a lower mileage non marathon option. That way runDisney could add the challenge without having to give Dopey finishers, Goofy and "Daisy" medals/shirts. You are either a Dopey, Daisy, or Goofy. Hope that makes more sense.

Agreed the marathon is indeed the main event, however, it is also true that folks like my DW (who has run 10 Disney marathons) has no interest in running it again, but she wants to run the other races. She's coming with me anyways why not take her money? There are years where she has not gotten in a race because she has to sign up for all three and by the time she's on her third sign in she does not get in. That has happened 2 times.

The marathon will attract folks just like you said. But having a lower mileage option could help attendance IMO.

Last edited:

Rteetz

@Rteetz, @GimpYancIent @Surferboy567

No I would not get rid of Goofy, did not imply that at all.

Limit people to sign up for one challenge, and add a lower mileage non marathon option. That way runDisney could add the challenge without having to give Dopey finishers, Goofy and "Daisy" medals/shirts. You are either a Dopey, Daisy, or Goofy. Hope that makes more sense.

Agreed the marathon is indeed the main event, however, it is also true that folks like my DW (who has run 10 Disney marathons) has no interest in running it again, but she wants to run the other races. She's coming with me anyways why not take her money? There are years where she has not gotten in a race because she has to sign up for all three and by the time she's on her third sign in she does not get in. That has happened 2 times.

The marathon will attract folks just like you said. But having a lower mileage option could help attendance IMO.
No thanks. If anything add the challenge and dopey peeps get 7 medals. I don’t think it’s necessary at all though. Three other weekends have that type of challenge. One can be different. Heck I’d love for them all to be different but that would never happen.

Surferboy567

I went to go check on the Castaway Challenge and according to the registration page is now sold out. Not sure how long it’s been like that. Everything else seemed available.

surfsupdon

Interesting topic about Challenges. I am glad we do not have the ‘same old same old’ 10K plus Half Challenge at Marathon Weekend. I think rD would benefit by having different challenges for each weekend.

For example, a 10K morning and a Half at night, same day. (I know, no night races.) I have run a 5k on a Saturday morning and a big race at night, same day. Either a Tower or WineDine Run. Don’t remember. But it was unique and a cool challenge.

Create an official challenge for the 5K, 10k, Half at another weekend.

I just like to see options, differences, and not everything so streamlined between all the weekends. Variety is the spice of life lol.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Interesting topic about Challenges. I am glad we do not have the ‘same old same old’ 10K plus Half Challenge at Marathon Weekend. I think rD would benefit by having different challenges for each weekend.

For example, a 10K morning and a Half at night, same day. (I know, no night races.) I have run a 5k on a Saturday morning and a big race at night, same day. Either a Tower or WineDine Run. Don’t remember. But it was unique and a cool challenge.

Create an official challenge for the 5K, 10k, Half at another weekend.

I just like to see options, differences, and not everything so streamlined between all the weekends. Variety is the spice of life lol.

5k in the AM and a half in the evening was the old W&D. Really wish runDisney would bring back the evening W&D Half.

Surferboy567

Anyone signed up for a virtual event. Reddit made me aware of a change in the dashboard for these races. Similar to the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon, their is now a dedicated field for this event. Two buttons one for reviewing registration details, one for submitting results. You can check your runDisney accounts to see this change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom