$67k stolen from High School band program; Help needed

PREMiERdrum

Original Poster
As some of you probably know, aside from being a TV News Assignment Editor and Disney Travel Agent, I am also the Director of Percussion at Watkins Memorial HS in Pataskala, OH. On Thursday, our former band booster treasurer was charged with stealing $67,000 from the boosters over a 4 year period. You can read more about what this guy did here: http://www.10tv.com/...d-boosters.html and here: http://www.newarkadv...theft/13093719/

What’s particularly sick about this is that this guy was lining his pockets (and as the article states, paying for "adult entertainment") while also being the one telling the kids that they weren’t doing a good enough job of fundraising. The kids kept working and working, but we were never able to replace, or even repair, equipment that was long past it’s expected lifespan.

Our current marching drums are 10-15 years old, and badly in need of replacement. Word came out on Thursday that the former treasurer was charged, and then something great happened…

Mapex, a drum company, and Columbus Pro Percussion, our local drum shop, approached us and offered to take a huge loss to give us about $23,000 worth of badly needed equipment for a total cost to us of about $6,500 – $7,000.

As an instructor who has watched these kids work hard, suffer through having awful equipment that often hinders their performances, while never complaining or making excuses, I have to do everything in my power to make this happen.

We kicked off a GoFundMe campaign Friday morning, and we’re already about 1/3 of the way to our goal. If you are able to, I would appreciate anything you can contribute towards this important cause. If you aren’t able to contribute, would you mind sharing the link along to those who can?

You’ll see the current GoFundMe goal is set to $7,000; the amount we need to buy the new marching drums. Once/if that is met, we will raise the goal to incorporate buying some gently used Keyboard instruments (Xylophones and Marimbas) from our friends at the Jersey Surf Drum and Bugle Corps. Our current keyboard instruments are in the 15-25 year old range and are also in dire need of replacement.

Should anybody have any questions, please feel free to contact me on this forum, by email at rossemusick@gmail.com, or through the Drumline's Facebook at www.facebook.com/wmdrumline

Thank you all!

RM

Nemo14

How great that the drum shop is willing to do that for you all - sometimes bringing out the worst is people brings out the best in others. Good luck with the fundraising and thanks for not losing faith in these kids.

PS - There's another website you might consider called DonorsChoose that might be able to help too.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
So sorry to hear about this! As a HS band director for the past 20+ years, I understand the pain that this must be causing. I have shared the site with a number of fellow band directors and band supporters. Best of luck to you!

PREMiERdrum

Original Poster
Thank you all! I am blessed to have a group of kids who never complain, and never use what equipment they have as an excuse. They take this old stuff out there and come home with trophies.

Our kids band camp was last week and this week, with daylong practices at the school. On Thursday, we had to call them into the building to tell them about the indictment before the rumor mill started running when media showed up at the school. They were shocked, obviously, but immediately wanted to start "rebuilding" and head back out to work. These kids teach me things every day.

I truly appreciate your support.

Last edited:

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thank you all! I am blessed to have a group of kids who never complain, and never use what they have as an excuse. The take this old stuff out there and come home with trophies.

Our kids band camp was last week and this week, with daylong practices at the school. On Thursday, we had to call them into the building to tell them about the indictment before the rumor mill started running when media showed up at the school. They were shocked, obviously, but immediately wanted to start "rebuilding" and head back out to work. These kids teach me things every day.

I truly appreciate your support.

I am always amazed at the kids ability to bounce back from just about anything. A number of years ago at my last school we had a situation where the band was banned (pun always intended) from our own practice fields AND football field due to a new district rule about non-sports on athletic fields - the kids were immediately coming up with new ideas and a Blast-style indoor marching band was born, and now flourishes.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you at a competition some time soon with your new drums!

PREMiERdrum

Original Poster
07_28_2014_072814-presentation-038.jpg

Last night, we were honored to be presented with a check representing $16,000 worth of equipment from Mapex/Majestic and Columbus Pro Percussion on the field in front of 4,000 people at the Emerald City Music Games DCI show. The show of support from all 8 drum corps in attendance (Vanguard Cadets, Cascades, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, Troopers, Blue Knights, Madison Scouts, and the Vanguard) as well as the DCI staff there was overwhelming.

We have raised $3,960 through our GoFundMe since Friday morning, with a few hundred more in pledges. If you or somebody you know is able to help, we would greatly appreciate it!

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...ing-band-after-theft-by-former-treasurer.html

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=1dfcc0ab-46f6-4439-ab88-79c41d18028f

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom