6-year-old surprised with free Disney trip after using birthday money to help Hurricane Dorian evacuees

JustAFan

Original Poster
Nice work, kid!

https://abc7chicago.com/sc-boy-receives-free-disney-trip-after-helping-dorian-evacuees/5524774/

ALLENDALE, S.C. -- A young South Carolina boy who gave up his Disney trip to help Hurricane Dorian evacuees got a free trip to "The Most Magical Place On Earth."

Jermaine Bell and his family saved up a whole year in preparation to celebrate his seventh birthday at Walt Disney World. But then Hurricane Dorian hit and Bell decided to use the money to help others.

He spent the birthday money on hot dogs and supplies to feed evacuees fleeing the storm.

"I just wanted to give people something to eat, so they can get where they are going," Bell said. The young man said his life motto is "live to give."

Upon hearing of Bell's generosity and selflessness, Disney decided to give him and his family a free trip to the Magic Kingdom.

mousehockey37

Wow, what for work did that kid do to put away his money for a year and be able to pay for a Disney trip?

Different places are reporting different things. This said birthday money and his family saved. Other places are saying he saved up. Which is it? Something's fishy here...

There's plenty of people doing a lot more good for the world than a 6 year old spending his parents tax write off "charitable donation" that Disney could be rewarding.

HongKongFu

Disney is so sweet showing up with Good Morning America for all to see....makes my heart melt with such a beautiful display of giving in front of cameras and making sure the world knows.

Somebody had a big mouth looking for recognition aside from Disney.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow, what for work did that kid do to put away his money for a year and be able to pay for a Disney trip?

Different places are reporting different things. This said birthday money and his family saved. Other places are saying he saved up. Which is it? Something's fishy here...

There's plenty of people doing a lot more good for the world than a 6 year old spending his parents tax write off "charitable donation" that Disney could be rewarding.
With the revised MFJ standard deduction, it's unlikely they'd be claiming any charitable deductions unless they're unusually generous.

More likely, this is a case of the suits in accounting looking at a trip that wouldn't have happened, thus cutting into Iger's "increased revenue on lower attendance" and resulting in a dip in that quarter's earnings. So comp them the trip as an advertising write-off and you still get their spending when they show up.

/sarc

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wow.

Somebody did something good and y'all have to go and spit all over it. Must be miserable to be that miserable. So what if it is a photo-op? It shines a light on a child doing something to help others.
Well, pardon us for being cynical, but seems to me that Disney brought it on themselves with all their price increases and upcharges lately.

RandySavage

The second I heard that story (before Disney's kind-hearted offer), I thought: "this kid and his family are playing chess, Disney and the rest of us are playing checkers." Family got the good-deed on the local, then national, news right quick. Disney saw the PR lay-up. Vacation done. Kudos to kid and his clever parents.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Nice work, kid!

https://abc7chicago.com/sc-boy-receives-free-disney-trip-after-helping-dorian-evacuees/5524774/

ALLENDALE, S.C. -- A young South Carolina boy who gave up his Disney trip to help Hurricane Dorian evacuees got a free trip to "The Most Magical Place On Earth."

Jermaine Bell and his family saved up a whole year in preparation to celebrate his seventh birthday at Walt Disney World. But then Hurricane Dorian hit and Bell decided to use the money to help others.

He spent the birthday money on hot dogs and supplies to feed evacuees fleeing the storm.

"I just wanted to give people something to eat, so they can get where they are going," Bell said. The young man said his life motto is "live to give."

Upon hearing of Bell's generosity and selflessness, Disney decided to give him and his family a free trip to the Magic Kingdom.

My parents own a touring children's theatre company. We tour into Allendale County and work Fairfax/Allendale Elementary. He's a good kid!

HongKongFu

Are you referring to the family or Disney? Because the family is a great group of people.

Absolutely referring to Disney and Good Morning America and *possibly*(maybe I should use the word *probably*)the family. As of now I don't see any direct evidence that family broadcasted deed but it very, very much looks like they did one way or another.

Somebody notified entertainment. Disgusting.

As for donations and personal labor to help others true selflessness is done on the low down and quiet and if such beautiful deed is by chance discovered it should not turn into an opportunity to showboat and brag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom