5th Park Opening in Time for WDW's 50th (Jim Hill)

cheezbat

I would prefer to see a third waterpark first as in summer they are often packed out. Plus it would require much less investment.

What happened to those rumors of smaller niche experiences? Something along the Discovery Cove theme?

Maybe the next park could take on Seaworld?

I think they could solve their busy summer waterpark problems by actually expanding the existing two. I'm sorry, but it's been almost 7 years since Typhoon Lagoon added anything new, and Blizzard Beach has never added one new thing since it's opening back in 1995. Lame. Every other waterpark in the nation has added multiple rides and attractions in that time. For the two busiest in the nation, it only makes sense to add on to them. Being Disney parks, I expect more out of them...especially to help with capacity in some way.

Personally, I would prefer to see an Adventure/unique park concept.

AEfx

I don't think looking at the time frame between parks of the past and how that might pan-out for parks in the future is quite practical.

Even if you look at it as, they built 4 parks in 30 years... so the 5th one being in 20 years makes sense. That's basically saying "In 100 years they'll build 5 more!"

I didn't say it was defacto evidence of anything, but just that it's not crazy to think that in ten years it's a possibility was the point, since we will be more than two decades without one. Which is why I don't think it's as much of a gamble to predict as some might.

I've met Jim, he's a nice guy and he does love Disney. I don't think he does things maliciously. Having said that, I tend not to give much weight to what he writes. I see him more as an entertainment writer.

I don't think most people think he is malicious, but that he simply all about self-promotion. Now that he's over at HuffyAOLversion he has let his site pretty much die off, as people stopped going there after listening to him promise the a thanksgiving feast and instead end up delivering a ham sandwich too many times.

The problem is, with adding the mythical "fifth gate" to Walt Disney World, is that adding the fourth gate (DAK) didn't really spread crowds out in the Magic Kingdom like it should have.

No one argues that is what happened, but they key is - why it happened.

It was because the marketing of the park was extremely confusing, and while it's a pretty park (undoubtedly, though even that is slightly overrated - I mean, it's all jungle, with various styling of faux-dilapidated buildings - without the names on the buildings it's hard to tell which "land" you are in as they are all so similar) the live animal experiences are much better elsewhere in regional zoo's, and there aren't many "attractions" to keep repeat visitors coming back.

I mean, there is no attraction in AK that couldn't fit into another park - it really has little identity of it's own besides "it's in the jungle". I mean, look how they are shoehorning Avatarland in there - because of it's "conservation" theme. They might have well have said it's because Nuvi or whatever they are called are Blue and humanoid so they are animals since humans are a species of animals in the sense of living beings. And if Avatar becomes the signature attraction? We are pretty far from "Animal Kingdom" at that point.

Now, if they came up with a rock'em, sock'em theme for a park - something to really wow people - then that would be much different. However, because of the knee-jerk backlashers, I won't go further into detail about what I really think would bring attendance up at WDW, but I am sure Disney knows all too well what is missing in the experience that they provide at the WDW resort.

TP2000

Of course if he had said there was an AvatarLand coming to WDW a couple weeks ago you would have said this exact same thing.

Actually, I wouldn't have said that. A couple of weeks ago I didn't even know what Avatar is/was.

I do now have it on my Netflix list, but it's at the bottom, I think below North By Northwest. I may pull Avatar off Netflix though, a

But a couple weeks ago? I wouldn't have know what Avatar was, or what Hill was talking about.

And there's absolutely no current plan for WDW's 50th. Check back in 2019, and maybe TDO will have a meeting lined up to start thinking about it.

DisneyFan 2000

Here's an idea! The 5th gate would actually be splitting Epcot in two: World Showcase park and Future World. Add a semi-decent land / pavillion into each of those and bamn! 5th gate done! :lookaroun

RedFurredCadet

Here's an idea! The 5th gate would actually be splitting Epcot in two: World Showcase park and Future World. Add a semi-decent land / pavillion into each of those and bamn! 5th gate done! :lookaroun

And you thought Buzzy would be left weeping. Oh wait, nobody would hear him weep thanks to the 5th park rumor. Let alone the 50th anniversary. :(

trr1

I would prefer to see a third waterpark first as in summer they are often packed out. Plus it would require much less investment.

What happened to those rumors of smaller niche experiences? Something along the Discovery Cove theme?

Maybe the next park could take on Seaworld?

they could just expand the current water parks also.
Isnt there plenty of room for that

majortom1981

hmm

Why have a 5th park when there are soo many attractions that have to be redone and empty buildings in the parks? Shouldnt they work on these things first ?

jt04

Actually, I wouldn't have said that. A couple of weeks ago I didn't even know what Avatar is/was.

I do now have it on my Netflix list, but it's at the bottom, I think below North By Northwest. I may pull Avatar off Netflix though, as I've seen enough visuals of floating islands and blue aliens

But a couple weeks ago? I wouldn't have know what Avatar was, or what Hill was talking about.

And there's absolutely no current plan for WDW's 50th. Check back in 2019, and maybe TDO will have a meeting lined up to start thinking about it.

I think the major reason WDW does not turn anniversaries into major promotions is primarily because they do not have to from a marketing perspective. That money can better be utilized in other ways. Other parks absolutely must do such promotions to keep the parks reasonably full.

Not to mention that with 4 parks WDW would be having anniversary promotions so frequently that they would lose their impact.

Avatar is by far the highest grossing film in the age of global distribution. For someone in California to claim they have never heard of it is a stretch and then some.

Ignohippo

Disney has obviously learned from Uni's mistake of adding HP to IOA rather than giving it it's own park. If they were to be considering a major Star Wars addition, it really does make sense it would be it's own park. IOA doesn't have room to expand the WWOHP besides tearing down existing attractions, and it's missing out on getting double the gate receipts from it being its own park.

As much as I love it, DHS was horribly designed. While it has room to expand into the backlot and outside of its berm on the east side, it's landlocked by roads for a major expansion. In a perfect world, DHS would include Avatar, Pixar, Star Wars, a fully-realized Toon Town and (one day) Marvel and would probably be WDW's second most popular gate. Unfortunately, it just wasn't designed to be expanded that much or handle that large of crowds.

The Eisner-era's biggest mistakes might have been the designs of both DCA and DHS.

Fable McCloud

Why have a 5th park when there are soo many attractions that have to be redone and empty buildings in the parks? Shouldn't they work on these things first ?

So completely true. I'd love to see them get everything updated rather than leave stuff falling apart to concentrate on a new space.

NoChesterHester

This was a great contest on Imagineering Disney and the winning concept is something along the lines of what I could see as a fifth "park." The concept is an evening long experience that includes dinner, a ride, and an adventure tied along a singular story line.

Now "Villa Tempus" may be a little dark for Disney, but this type of evening long experience could really be something new.

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2011/9/17/ride-concept-competition-winners.html

FigmentJedi

I admit I bought Epic Mickey but haven't opened it yet (yieks!) but I'd love the idea of seeing a "Mirror Universe" Magic Kingdom where the Villains "won." I know they are starting to do that in the real MK, but extend it to a whole park..heck yeah!

I kinda see a villain park as more of the "conjoined evil lair" of the whole band of Disney villains with battles between good and evil providing the theme of nighttime entertainment with an adventurer's base camp serving as the entrance before you simply go walking into Mordor.

"Disney's Nude Kingdom" Adult nighttime extravaganza :lookaroun

Sometimes, seeing what interesting clothing/swimsuit choices some people make, I think we already have a "Nude Kingdom" following at the waterparks..... :lookaroun

"Butt-floss" stuck in between some lady's cellulite ridden thighs....:hurl:

(Yes, I'm a woman, don't flame me. I dress for my body type.)

Watch how I go out on a limb here..,

No new park opening at WDW on or before 2021.
Maybe....maybe...a small, limited access gate of some sort...but even that is quite unlikely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that type of 'boutique' experience what they were going for with the Disney Institute?? We all see how well that went.

Maybe a sea experience ala Discovery Cove, but then again, there's already Discovery Cove for that. What else could there be?

maxairmike

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that type of 'boutique' experience what they were going for with the Disney Institute?? We all see how well that went.

Maybe a sea experience ala Discovery Cove, but then again, there's already Discovery Cove for that. What else could there be?

Disney Institute was aimed almost exclusively towards companies as kind of an experiential learning vacation for upper level managers. As you can imagine, that is a very small niche, and once they started putting the DI material elsewhere, the need for it kind of died out. They still do Disney Institute conferences around the country (my school offers the opportunity to go for the super-reduced price of $275, and yes, that is about a 75% discount), and the DI is very much still active at the WDW resort, just not in the same manner it was when it was across from DTD.

RandySavage

^When Disney Institute opened (we did it for the first two years of its existence when I was a kid) it was marketed to families that were looking for a Chautauqua-like vacation-learning experiences (e.g. we took classes on animation from Disney animators then housed in MGM, golf & tennis lessons with pros, wine-tasting, film-making, etc.) in addition to theme parks during their WDW stay.

This was Eisner's concept as he was a bit of an intellectual (liberal arts college english major) who had experienced Chautauqua Institute. It was a unique idea that was well-executed but never took off. Just as Adventures by Disney isn't taking off, the people looking for this kind of in-depth, educational vacation experience are likely to eschew the Disney name being attached to it, regardless of the high-quality of both Disney Institute and Adventures by Disney (definitely niche markets).

The boutique park referenced above would be different than the Institute. Something along the lines of Discovery Cove or Rasulo's shelved Night Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom