50th Anniversary date?

Khcuttin

Original Poster
I know I may make a fool out of myself by asking this/these questions, but here goes......I know that the 50th anniversary of WDW is 2021 ( right? Lol ), but does anyone know if they are doing a year long celebration, starting January 1st, 2021, or is it a certain month, or months? Also, when can we start booking for 2021? Should I wait to see the opening dates of rides and shows? What are peoples thoughts and plans on how best to celebrate the 50th at WDW? Thanks everyone!!

drizgirl

After the lackluster results with SWL on both coasts, they are probably busy cutting things as we speak from whatever they had planned. They should learn from the success of the DLR 60th anniversary and add back a bunch of quality entertainment.

Khcuttin

Original Poster
After the lackluster results with SWL on both coasts, they are probably busy cutting things as we speak from whatever they had planned. They should learn from the success of the DLR 60th anniversary and add back a bunch of quality entertainment.
I hope so!! Thank u very much for your thoughts!

Khcuttin

Original Poster
There has not been an official announcement of when the 50th will occur. My personal guess is that it'll be similar to Disneyland's 60th Anniversary which lasted from May 2015 (the 60th year) until September 2016. Perhaps ours will be the same (May 2021-September 2022), though I wouldn't hate if ours ran from May 2021-December 2022.
Ok, so your thoughts is that it would be 6 months? That seems reasonable, although it just seems like "everything" is coming out in 2021 as far as rides, resorts, etc...so Im curious how they will stagger them throughout the year, because it would be a business wise decision to do so, rather than open them all within a few weeks of each other ( wishful thinking!)...although I am no expert, lol. Glad to read your thoughts on this, thank u!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The official 50th is October 1st 2021.
The celebration will likely last either all of 2021, or from October 1st 2021 through September 30th 2022 (with Epcots 40th being October 1st 2022), or from October 1st 2021 through January 31st 2023. (That last one is my thought because that's what the 25th was.)

Tony the Tigger

1A0F3924-4709-4833-8FDD-E5F9687FA530.jpeg

AndyS2992

It will almost certainly be May 2021 - January 2023.
Two whole Summers and Holiday seasons to milk it for all it's worth. They would be stupid not to. Disney always extends big anniversaries for two years because they bring in the biggest crowds.

Hopefully they actually deliver and do something spectacular. I went in 2011 for the 40th and they did absolutely nothing. There was a few pieces of merch with the 40th logo and that was it.

Last edited:

bUU

The purpose of an anniversary like this isn't to please or honor the park - the park is an inanimate object. The purpose of an anniversary like this is to provide a focus for celebration. Celebration must be a continual thing at destination theme park resorts (which is why there are festivals at EPCOT most of the year, now), so they need to extend the celebration as wide as is practicable.

It will almost certainly be May 2021 - January 2023. Two whole Summers and Holiday seasons to milk it for all it's worth. They would be stupid not to. Disney always extends big anniversaries for two years because they bring in the biggest crowds.
The rumors I've heard indicate January 2021 through September 2022 - so "the year of the anniversary" and "the anniversary year". I'm skeptical that they'll start that early, especially because I don't think enough of the EPCOT re-do will be completed by then, but I won't be surprised if they do kick the thing off in January. But if not January, then May sounds very plausible.

Khcuttin

Original Poster
ALL of your thoughts have been terrific! Thank u very much for taking time out of your lives to answer my questions! What a great site!!!( with great members!!)....Its times like these I wish Walt would have left the crystal ball out front of the castle instead of in the Haunted Mansion!!! Lol. I just would like to start planning for the events and ride completions. O well, maybe half the fun is the suspense.

DisneyJoe

The purpose of an anniversary like this isn't to please or honor the park - the park is an inanimate object. The purpose of an anniversary like this is to provide a focus for celebration. Celebration must be a continual thing at destination theme park resorts (which is why there are festivals at EPCOT most of the year, now), so they need to extend the celebration as wide as is practicable.

The rumors I've heard indicate January 2021 through September 2022 - so "the year of the anniversary" and "the anniversary year". I'm skeptical that they'll start that early, especially because I don't think enough of the EPCOT re-do will be completed by then, but I won't be surprised if they do kick the thing off in January. But if not January, then May sounds very plausible.
My guess would be May 2021 or Sept 2021 (since Oct 1 is the actual anniversary date and they have started celebrations for WDW around then before) thru Dec 2022 or early 2023. They always like to get a good 18 months or more from a celebration. Oct 1 would align closer to the beginning of their fiscal year.

bUU

My guess would be May 2021 or Sept 2021 (since Oct 1 is the actual anniversary date and they have started celebrations for WDW around then before) thru Dec 2022 or early 2023. They always like to get a good 18 months or more from a celebration. Oct 1 would align closer to the beginning of their fiscal year.
That last bit is where the January 2021/May 2021 dates come from: The desire to pull the gold into the 2020-2021 fiscal year, given that we can reasonably expect it to otherwise be an off-year due to all the construction and people delaying their vacations to attend the 50th.

Touchdown

My celebration of the 50th will be mid October 2021-2022 as that is the next time I plan on getting a WDW AP after my current AP that I just bought expires (Oct 2020-2021 I will have a Universal AP)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom