50s PTC vs. Sci Fi for grandparents

princessmommy

Original Poster
We are taking along my parents who are in their late 60s. Do you think sci fi or 50s will make them more nostalgic?
We (my family of four) like them equally the same, I'm not sure which my parents will like more. Any experiences with grandparent age diners?

DizneyPryncess

We went to Sci-Fi with my parents when they came with us to Disney. They are more reserved, and I didn't think they would be into the antics at 50's. That was the deciding factor for us. I'm not sure if that's helpful or not, but if your parents are more outgoing & like the interaction, 50's would be fun. If they're not into that sort of thing, I'd go with Sci-Fi. :)

I took my grandparents to Disney for their 50th anniversary. It was awhile ago, but they loved the food at 50's and enjoyed the decor. No one pushed them to play along but they enjoyed the general atmosphere. One of my best memories was watching them share a milkshake! Good luck with your trip.

zurgandfriend

I'm in my 60's and the decor of the 50's PTC reminds me of our kitchen when I was a kid right down to the TV show clips. I remember drive-in movies fondly as well but the 50's PTC would get my vote for the decor and the menu.

Matt in the Hatt

Sci fi is one of my favorite stops. good burger, great atmosphere. I am an admittedly picky eater and hate to be bothered by other people about what and how I eat so I have not gone to PTC

DisneyJunkie

It depends if you're wanting to take them there for a good meal or just to be nostalgic. For nostalgia purposes, either might work. But for a good meal, NEITHER one is a particularly good choice.

lebeau

We have eaten at both places a few times. Never had a bad meal at either place, but I have heard people bag on the food at both restaurants. Foodwise, neither one is going to blow your socks off. If you're looking for old fashioned comfort food, you'll find it at 50s PTC. It's my wife's favorite place to eat in all of Disney World. I recommend the pot roast which is really succulent. Meals are very obviously not made to order sometimes. We have been served within minutes of ordering. But they are usually hot, tasty and filling. Food at Sci Fi is a little more hit or miss. But what we have had has always been pretty good. I'd recommend grabbing dessert at Sci Fi over a meal if you just want to take in the atmosphere.

It's atmosphere where both restaurants excel. 50s PTC is just a fun place it sit down and relax. You can play along with the staff which is fun. They do not typically give anyone a hard time unless the guest is playing along. So don't worry about that. It's all in good fun. We always get a few good chuckles. Some waiters have had us laughing through our entire meal.

Sci Fi has a more elaborate theme. It's cool to eat in a car. But with that comes some drawbacks. For one, it is really dark. It can be hard to see what you are eating. And if you do get seated in a car, you won't all be facing one another which can make conversations difficult. If you want to be able to carry on a conversation with everyone, I recommend 50s over Sci Fi.

In terms of nostalgia, they both have it in spades. Sci Fi is a little more specific about the type of nostalgia whereas 50s PTC is a bit more general. Overall, I give the edge to 50s. But I'd recommend either for a fun dining experience.

JiminyandTink

We have eaten at both places a few times. Never had a bad meal at either place, but I have heard people bag on the food at both restaurants. Foodwise, neither one is going to blow your socks off. If you're looking for old fashioned comfort food, you'll find it at 50s PTC. It's my wife's favorite place to eat in all of Disney World. I recommend the pot roast which is really succulent. Meals are very obviously not made to order sometimes. We have been served within minutes of ordering. But they are usually hot, tasty and filling. Food at Sci Fi is a little more hit or miss. But what we have had has always been pretty good. I'd recommend grabbing dessert at Sci Fi over a meal if you just want to take in the atmosphere.

It's atmosphere where both restaurants excel. 50s PTC is just a fun place it sit down and relax. You can play along with the staff which is fun. They do not typically give anyone a hard time unless the guest is playing along. So don't worry about that. It's all in good fun. We always get a few good chuckles. Some waiters have had us laughing through our entire meal.

Sci Fi has a more elaborate theme. It's cool to eat in a car. But with that comes some drawbacks. For one, it is really dark. It can be hard to see what you are eating. And if you do get seated in a car, you won't all be facing one another which can make conversations difficult. If you want to be able to carry on a conversation with everyone, I recommend 50s over Sci Fi.

In terms of nostalgia, they both have it in spades. Sci Fi is a little more specific about the type of nostalgia whereas 50s PTC is a bit more general. Overall, I give the edge to 50s. But I'd recommend either for a fun dining experience.

Another vote for 50s PTC for pretty much all the same reasons listed here

Texas84

My parents (in their 70's) love both but they have had trouble at SciFi because they don't do well in the dark.

Funny story, on one trip the 50's CM gave us all funny names. She called my Dad 'Major' and he is actually a retired USAF Lt. Colonel. She didn't know he was retired military. And they called me by my actual childhood nickname and no one had told them that. No, I'm not telling what that was. :)

RonAnnArbor

I think it completely depends on your idea of a meal with your grandparents -- at SciFi Diner you sit in front of each other and it is NOT a social opportunity -- in fact, there are those of us that prefer this specifically because you can place the kiddies in their own seat for an hour and not have to deal with them...but if you want to enjoy time with your grandparents then this is NOT the place to go for dinner.
The antics at 50'S have never been such that they are off-putting to anyone of any age -- it depends on if the group as a whole wants to have a "participatory" event, or not.
The only sit-down restaurant I go to anymore at DHS is Hollywood Brown Derby -- exquisite food, superb service, quiet atmosphere, and a good place to have a social meal free of Disney-theming nonsense...

erasure fan1

I'll vote for 50s just based on the food. Like others have said, neither place is going to win any awards for their food, but 50s beats sci-fi by a pretty big amount in my eyes. I have done sci-fi and it was worth the try, but I'm not sure I will go back for a long time. We have always had good meals at 50s, not great but good for Disney standards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom