50's Prime Time Cafe Participation?

MegRuss626

Original Poster
Hi everyone! We're contemplating eating at the 50's Prime Time Cafe during our September 2016 trip. My MIL really wants to eat there but my FIL has no interest because they "pick on you". My MIL said she heard that you can opt out of "participating" kind of like at Whispering Canyon Cafe. Is this true?

EOD K9

The servers can almost tell immediately if you don't want to participate. One's demeanor will usually come across if they aren't interested in the show. We had some really good bantering the last time I was there. I let them have it right back.
Yes...just have your FIL say I'd rather not participate and they won't "pick on him."
Or have your FIL eat all of his veggies, keep the napkin in his lap, and elbows off the tables and they wont have to pick on him. Its actually a lot of fun.

danyoung56

The servers can almost tell immediately if you don't want to participate. One's demeanor will usually come across if they aren't interested in the show.

I'm not so sure about that. I ate there one time a few years ago, and had a female "cousin" as my waitress. She was either too into her own schtick to pay attention or else she didn't care, but I definitely felt harassed by the end of the meal. I was up for it for a while, but it just went on way too long, to where I just wanted to be left alone to enjoy my meal.

EOD K9

I'm not so sure about that. I ate there one time a few years ago, and had a female "cousin" as my waitress. She was either too into her own schtick to pay attention or else she didn't care, but I definitely felt harassed by the end of the meal. I was up for it for a while, but it just went on way too long, to where I just wanted to be left alone to enjoy my meal.
That's unfortunate.

Herdman

We had just the opposite situation several years ago. Our "brother" was our server, and he seemed to not really be in character at all. Other than the décor of the restaurant you would have thought we were eating at any "regular" restaurant.

HatboxGhost

I live to interact with my "family members" when I am there. It is so much fun and to improv with the cast member is wonderful.

ladydi

Our interaction was ok. My kids were hot and tired and our server picked up on that. He gently kidded them but didn't push it. However our food was absolutely terrible! Worst food I have ever had on property!

KCL

They're pretty observant. We played along well but we were tired and thristy. It felt like the perfect level because my "aunt and cousin" would not leave me alone about putting my elbows on the table and kept making my dad (who was not into that sorta thing) take his hat off. He even thought it was funny. Some other tables were putting there noses in the corner and reciting things, but they don't try to force that on every table.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Although Prime Time has a pretty cool atmosphere (even without the interaction), the food is not a 'must do', there is a million places to eat all over property

I would just say that if you're going to risk your FIL getting all salty because Aunt B is harassing him about his elbows on the table then find some place else to eat. Me? I got enough problems with my in-laws without introducing my PITA fake cousin Mel into the mix.
Probably why I don't vacation with my in-laws.

Tinkerbella16

We went in 2008 and then just went in November 2015 and I noticed such a difference in how the servers acted then and now. Ours hardly did anything, and we were all in for that, since it is fun! We noticed that at other tables too. Did they scale back on that there? It was so much fun years ago!

s&k'smom

We have always had great experiences. Years ago when my son was much younger it was impossible for him to participate (Autism) and the server took my hint and was awesome with him. But now that Sammy is older he loves it. He fully participates in the fun but that's what works for us. Servers will generally pick up on the ques. It's one of our families must do's.

DfromATX

I didn't know about the participation. My husband will enjoy this place. He likes interacting with people and he's the kind that gets picked for shows. We have reservations there in July. This is gonna be right up his alley!

Mrs. Piglet

You should still definitely go. In my opinion it is the best restaurant in Disney Hollywood Studios. If your FIL does not want to participate in the ribbing just let the wait staff know ahead of time and they won't bother him.

JohnD

Fun place. Good food. Not sure what to get? Then get the Mom's Favorites platter (Pot Roast, Fried Chicken, Meat Loaf). If you're game for the interaction it really can be fun. Tell the FIL to lighten up. It's Disney. But yes, he can decline the interaction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom