50% rule

correcaminos

Don’t think he was...but it’s still a valid opinion. Rule changes suck and always will. That’s not a personal offense.
The changed don't always suck. Allowances for banking have changed since I bought. they did away with the more complicated rules which I am thankful for. However as stated there was a statement that banking and borrowing can change, so no real rule change, just a policy change.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. Those who bought minimums to bank and borrow often are most affected by this. Many points from what I've read were dumped into RCI too. Quite a few annoyed with DVC right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The changed don't always suck. Allowances for banking have changed since I bought. they did away with the more complicated rules which I am thankful for. However as stated there was a statement that banking and borrowing can change, so no real rule change, just a policy change.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the future. Those who bought minimums to bank and borrow often are most affected by this. Many points from what I've read were dumped into RCI too. Quite a few annoyed with DVC right now.
Fair point....

Let me clarify that “recent rule changes tend to suck”

For me...and it didn’t even affect me...it was the “direct only” discounts and privileges.

It made it a more tacky/sleazy timeshare that was what they set out specifically not to do. Not a good look.

cmwade77

I am not a DVC owner but I really hate to hear rule changes after you buy in! To me, whatever the rules existed on the day you signed the papers should be your rules for the lifetime of your contract including points per night etc.

Disney changing the rules after you buy in allows them to devalue your membership as they please.
It actually is within the rules that you agreed to when signing up, in fact the official rules have apparently always been to only be able to borrow up to 50% of your next use year, DVC has just been allowing you to do more than that because there was availability that allowed for it. So right now it really is they are enforcing the actual rules and not allowing the extra that they have in the past. Yes, it is annoying, but makes sense.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The real angry mob will come when COVID is resolved in 0-97 years (hopefully closer to the shorter end) and Disney realizes they’ll have to put in a banking limit to deal with nearly 2 full years of points in the system.

ToTBellHop

The real angry mob will come when COVID is resolved in 0-97 years (hopefully closer to the shorter end) and Disney realizes they’ll have to put in a banking limit to deal with nearly 2 full years of points in the system.
The obvious solution is to allow all DVC members to more reasonably book at non-DVCs for a REASONABLE number of points. This is already the model at Vero, where you can book an Inn room for about the number of points in a studio. If BLT is full, they should allow owners to book a room in the main tower. The rooms won’t be full for awhile anyway. Best to deal with the issue and avoid embarrassing lawsuits. I recognize there is a budgetary issue since DVC is run separate from resorts, but I’m sure the company can figure it out...

CastAStone

Premium Member
The obvious solution is to allow all DVC members to more reasonably book at non-DVCs for a REASONABLE number of points. This is already the model at Vero, where you can book an Inn room for about the number of points in a studio. If BLT is full, they should allow owners to book a room in the main tower. The rooms won’t be full for awhile anyway. Best to deal with the issue and avoid embarrassing lawsuits. I recognize there is a budgetary issue since DVC is run separate from resorts, but I’m sure the company can figure it out...
Certainly with all the people who’ve been moved into DVC rooms it would seem fair to allow an equal number of members to use points for cash rooms.

nickys

Premium Member
It actually is within the rules that you agreed to when signing up, in fact the official rules have apparently always been to only be able to borrow up to 50% of your next use year, DVC has just been allowing you to do more than that because there was availability that allowed for it. So right now it really is they are enforcing the actual rules and not allowing the extra that they have in the past. Yes, it is annoying, but makes sense.
That is not correct either. The rules have always allowed them to suspend or limit banking and borrowing as necessary,

nickys

Premium Member
There seem to be some misconceptions here amongst some newer members.

To be clear here, Disney and DVC are separate entities. The DVC side is run entirely separately by a management company. The reason for me clarifying this will become clear below.

When we use our points to “pay” for something run by another Disney entity, be it cruises, non-DVC rooms etc, DVC have to release a similar number of points for the other Disney entity to use. In other words, it costs DVC. If they offer us park tickets, DVC have to pay for them. When they host Moonlight Magic, DVC have to pay for the hire of the park (that comes out of new sales, to encourage people to buy).

Certainly with all the people who’ve been moved into DVC rooms it would seem fair to allow an equal number of members to use points for cash rooms.

When rooms remain unbooked within the immediate 60 days, Disney are allowed to use those rooms. This is called breakage. What is happening is that Disney are anticipating the breakage, and so far have been correct. Now if it turns out that as a result a resort became 100% booked out, then I imagine Disney would have to move some people again.

This is not Disney‘s problem. It is a DVC problem. Any solution will have to come from DVC. Ther is a reason Disney wanted the timeshare side of things to be separate, just like the cruise line.

ToTBellHop

When we use our points to “pay” for something run by another Disney entity, be it cruises, non-DVC rooms etc, DVC have to release a similar number of points for the other Disney entity to use. In other words, it costs DVC. If they offer us park tickets, DVC have to pay for them. When they host Moonlight Magic, DVC have to pay for the hire of the park (that comes out of new sales, to encourage people to buy).
And in normal times, this makes sense. These are not normal times. One branch of the company can easily help out another branch with a need. Somehow Disney plus is now paying for movies originally set for a theatrical run, so they are clearly capable of balancing books between entities. There will be plenty of hotel rooms open next year and Disney cares about image. I struggle to believe they would be willing to extend points so much this year without a reasonable capacity to use those points next year.

This is most-acute for Aulani or Grand Californian owners, who are experiencing the longest closure and who, in many cases, can’t easily fly to WDW.

Club Cooloholic

And in normal times, this makes sense. These are not normal times. One branch of the company can easily help out another branch with a need. Somehow Disney plus is now paying for movies originally set for a theatrical run, so they are clearly capable of balancing books between entities. There will be plenty of hotel rooms open next year and Disney cares about image. I struggle to believe they would be willing to extend points so much this year without a reasonable capacity to use those points next year.

This is most-acute for Aulani or Grand Californian owners, who are experiencing the longest closure and who, in many cases, can’t easily fly to WDW.
Never considered the implications for Aulani and GC. I don't think they will ever sell all the points for Aulani.

CastAStone

Premium Member

And Aulani is the 2nd largest DVC by points. Its continued closure is an enormous problem.

nickys

Premium Member

Still not going to happen. There’s a reason why DVC is at arms length from the parks and resorts division.

Expired banked points were only extended to November, other expired non-banked points are only extended to March.

What will happen is that many more points will end up expiring without being used. In the days before renting became so well known, a lot of people simply lost points if they couldn’t travel. We bought in Feb 2010 with a December use year. Our first DVC vacation was Summer 2012. Those 2009 points were banked but we ended up losing them. We then lost another year’s worth from 2013 because of the timing of our next trip.

They could also limit banking and borrowing, so forcing people to use them or lose them. RCI will also be an option, effectively “extending” points by a further year.

correcaminos

Still not going to happen. There’s a reason why DVC is at arms length from the parks and resorts division.

Expired banked points were only extended to November, other expired non-banked points are only extended to March.

What will happen is that many more points will end up expiring without being used. In the days before renting became so well known, a lot of people simply lost points if they couldn’t travel. We bought in Feb 2010 with a December use year. Our first DVC vacation was Summer 2012. Those 2009 points were banked but we ended up losing them. We then lost another year’s worth from 2013 because of the timing of our next trip.

They could also limit banking and borrowing, so forcing people to use them or lose them. RCI will also be an option, effectively “extending” points by a further year.
This! The internet really helped people not lose points. Though I know some who lose them and don't care anyway which baffles me. So not even renting helped, but just having more access to more info.

They are limiting borrowing which is the first ever for me since we bought 16 years ago. There was no exception being made as stated above by another poster. Banking has changed in my time though but always allowed 100% by a certain date.

Banking and borrowing rules are that they can always change. Nothing else.

Aulani is not close to being sold out yet but could be problematic. However, it's hard to know if the owners there would want to go to Disney (wanting West coast vacations only) or if they bought there with no plans of staying at Aulani

cmwade77

Actually, what I would love right now is if I could borrow more than 50% for RCI exchanges, that would essentially remove my points out of the way, but it is what it is right now.

nickys

Premium Member
Actually, what I would love right now is if I could borrow more than 50% for RCI exchanges, that would essentially remove my points out of the way, but it is what it is right now.
To do that though, DVC need to release a room for RCI to use. So from DVC’s perspective it wouldn’t help too much.

ZoneOfTheEnder

To do that though, DVC need to release a room for RCI to use. So from DVC’s perspective it wouldn’t help too much.
Ah, that is one reason why when we tried to book RCI rooms they were not available. It must be in the very fine print that DVC members can book RCI rooms but RCI is actually restrictive on their end and now DVC is also restrictive on their end. Glad we no longer have annual dues for points we cannot use. The devil is in the details.
We can rent a vacation home for less than our previous annual dues and for 3 weeks and not have someone popping into our room every day. Hmmm

Club Cooloholic

Ah, that is one reason why when we tried to book RCI rooms they were not available. It must be in the very fine print that DVC members can book RCI rooms but RCI is actually restrictive on their end and now DVC is also restrictive on their end. Glad we no longer have annual dues for points we cannot use. The devil is in the details.
We can rent a vacation home for less than our previous annual dues and for 3 weeks and not have someone popping into our room every day. Hmmm
Did you have the points in RCI, or it wouldn't let you add the points. I have old points still in there and it does let me book them

cmwade77

I have yet to have any issue getting an RCI room, everyone wants Disney after all, but I have heard of a lot of people with RCI not being able to get into Disney.

As for renting your vacation home, I am sure there are people like me that have vacation time to use, but not sure where they want to go right now, as I don't necessarily want to sit in a plane for 4+ hours to go across the country, so I am sure someone would be open to renting it, especially with the 50% rule right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom