50% rule

SmokeyNite

Original Poster
So, we have reservations for DBWV from Oct 26th to Nov 2nd. I was going to change the reservation to Kidani Village and add an extra night, but the DVC website would not allow me to do so. So while I was on hold, I used the chat feature on the site and was told that you cannot borrow more than 50% of next years points, and if you do, your reservation will be canceled. Imagine my surprise to find out that my Boardwalk reservation that I made in June was going to be canceled because I had borrowed more than 50% of my points from the 2021 year. I was allowed to make the reservation back in June, bought my plane tickets, and if I hadn't contacted Disney about changing my reservation, I would have had been caught unawares by the cancellation 7 days before my trip.
Luckily, after calling and speaking with a VERY nice and helpful cast member, I got things straightened out. I was over the 50% by 5 points. It would have been canceled over 5 points.
This is just a heads up about the new policy, which doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. There are so many new Covid rules all over the DVC site, that I overlooked the 50% rule.

Club Cooloholic

Wai
So, we have reservations for DBWV from Oct 26th to Nov 2nd. I was going to change the reservation to Kidani Village and add an extra night, but the DVC website would not allow me to do so. So while I was on hold, I used the chat feature on the site and was told that you cannot borrow more than 50% of next years points, and if you do, your reservation will be canceled. Imagine my surprise to find out that my Boardwalk reservation that I made in June was going to be canceled because I had borrowed more than 50% of my points from the 2021 year. I was allowed to make the reservation back in June, bought my plane tickets, and if I hadn't contacted Disney about changing my reservation, I would have had been caught unawares by the cancellation 7 days before my trip.
Luckily, after calling and speaking with a VERY nice and helpful cast member, I got things straightened out. I was over the 50% by 5 points. It would have been canceled over 5 points.
This is just a heads up about the new policy, which doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. There are so many new Covid rules all over the DVC site, that I overlooked the 50% rule.
Wait, I thought that only applied to new reservations, They would have cancelled it, can you provide me more details? I really thought the rule only applied to new reservations,. Had you already cancelled the earlier booking to make the new one?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wai
Wait, I thought that only applied to new reservations, They would have cancelled it, can you provide me more details? I really thought the rule only applied to new reservations,. Had you already cancelled the earlier booking to make the new one?
It is only supposed to be applied to new reservations made after the announcement. I haven't heard of anyone's trip that was cancelled if made before the 50% deadline.

Club Cooloholic

It is only supposed to be applied to new reservations made after the announcement. I haven't heard of anyone's trip that was cancelled if made before the 50% deadline.
It is strange though that he booked in June and 7 days later it had not been cancelled. I have read of people though that had cancellations 9 days later or so. I really wish they just put the limitations into the system so this isn't even an issue at all. I am just happy I got it in before the deadline.

Disstevefan1

I am not a DVC owner but I really hate to hear rule changes after you buy in! To me, whatever the rules existed on the day you signed the papers should be your rules for the lifetime of your contract including points per night etc.

Disney changing the rules after you buy in allows them to devalue your membership as they please.

nickys

Premium Member
I am not a DVC owner but I really hate to hear rule changes after you buy in! To me, whatever the rules existed on the day you signed the papers should be your rules for the lifetime of your contract including points per night etc.

Disney changing the rules after you buy in allows them to devalue your membership as they please.
This is a temporary rule change to cope with the overwhelming demand there will be with an extra 4 months worth of points in the system. DVC is designed to be at 95% occupancy year round, there will be a lot of people unable to book anything when things return to normal unless they book right at 11 months. The borrowing rule is partly to help those who were gifted points to replace their expired points due to the closure, some of whom have not got them yet, due to the way In which use years work.

And the points charts can only change within certain parameters. So a night that costs more in one season has to be matched with a night that costs less in another season.

This change though only impacted bookings made after the announcement. I’ll see if I can find the email that gave the dates. It was also on the booking page when you went to borrow points. If the OP‘s reservation was made before the announcement, their reservation would have been fine. The affected reservations were cancelled within 7 days (I believe the program to cancel them runs on a Thursday).

It is strange though that he booked in June and 7 days later it had not been cancelled. I have read of people though that had cancellations 9 days later or so. I really wish they just put the limitations into the system so this isn't even an issue at all. I am just happy I got it in before the deadline.

I agree with the first part. As for a system change, they couldn’t even keep all pages of the main WDW website in step with each other., thanks to all the changes. A temporary change for DVC was never going to be top priority.

JaxFLBear

From the Home Resort Rules & Regulations:
Banking or Borrowing may be suspended or limited by DVC Operator from time to time, in its discretion, in order to maintain a proper balance of reservations and Home Resort Vacation Points in the Club’s central reservation system.

Club Cooloholic

nickys

Premium Member
So I have a question, doesn't limiting borrowing points, just mean next year will be all the harder to book? I would feel better if I knew they were not pushing all these DVC rooms for cash on their website.
Next year will be harder to book because of all the points that were banked this year. So by limiting the borrowing temporarily, they’re trying to reduce the possible number of points in the system.

The way I see it is this. Rather than let people borrow and maybe stay for longer or go more often, they hope people will use their banked points and at least some of their current points to upgrade their rooms. Leaving more studios for those who only have a small number anyway. Then they will bank fewer points than they did this year. Thus slowly reducing the number of points in future years. It will likely take a few years to stabilise again. And some people will end up not being able to use all their points. If the hoped-for pattern doesn’t happen, they could limit banking &/or borrowing further.

Club Cooloholic

Next year will be harder to book because of all the points that were banked this year. So by limiting the borrowing temporarily, they’re trying to reduce the possible number of points in the system.

The way I see it is this. Rather than let people borrow and maybe stay for longer or go more often, they hope people will use their banked points and at least some of their current points to upgrade their rooms. Leaving more studios for those who only have a small number anyway. Then they will bank fewer points than they did this year. Thus slowly reducing the number of points in future years. It will likely take a few years to stabilise again. And some people will end up not being able to use all their points. If the hoped-for pattern doesn’t happen, they could limit banking &/or borrowing further.
It would be complicated. But I kind of feel like they should fully open up next years points for the rest of the year by now. If you haven't booked it by now, chances are you wont, but for those not afraid to go they should allow them for the exact reasons you just gave, next year all those banked points will be in play, so isn't it better to take 2020 points off the board when and where you can?

nickys

Premium Member
It would be complicated. But I kind of feel like they should fully open up next years points for the rest of the year by now. If you haven't booked it by now, chances are you wont, but for those not afraid to go they should allow them for the exact reasons you just gave, next year all those banked points will be in play, so isn't it better to take 2020 points off the board when and where you can?

Remember how people lost points during the closure? Well DVC effectively “extended” those points by gifting them developer points, so that they didn’t contravene timeshare laws. But those developer points are only valid from the end of the member’s use year until the end of November.

So people with an October use year won’t get them until Oct 1st. They haven’t had a chance to book yet. I guess DVC want to give them a chance of something, hoping that Disney doesn’t grab every non-booked room since the entire eligibility period is now within 60 days.

Club Cooloholic

Remember how people lost points during the closure? Well DVC effectively “extended” those points by gifting them developer points, so that they didn’t contravene timeshare laws. But those developer points are only valid from the end of the member’s use year until the end of November.

So people with an October use year won’t get them until Oct 1st. They haven’t had a chance to book yet. I guess DVC want to give them a chance of something, hoping that Disney doesn’t grab every non-booked room since the entire eligibility period is now within 60 days.
Ah ok. Well after Oct 15 I think they should make the rest of the year fair game. I am sure there would be a few people willing to upgrade with borrowed points that are due for holiday trips.

Well, that is the way it is, so don't buy in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a temporary rule change to cope with the overwhelming demand there will be with an extra 4 months worth of points in the system. DVC is designed to be at 95% occupancy year round, there will be a lot of people unable to book anything when things return to normal unless they book right at 11 months. The borrowing rule is partly to help those who were gifted points to replace their expired points due to the closure, some of whom have not got them yet, due to the way In which use years work.

And the points charts can only change within certain parameters. So a night that costs more in one season has to be matched with a night that costs less in another season.

This change though only impacted bookings made after the announcement. I’ll see if I can find the email that gave the dates. It was also on the booking page when you went to borrow points. If the OP‘s reservation was made before the announcement, their reservation would have been fine. The affected reservations were cancelled within 7 days (I believe the program to cancel them runs on a Thursday).

I agree with the first part. As for a system change, they couldn’t even keep all pages of the main WDW website in step with each other., thanks to all the changes. A temporary change for DVC was never going to be top priority.

If I recall...it’s 97% used in use year and bank and borrow a net wash...

So incase anyone is wondering why they aren’t selling passes...or even letting people on existing ones in...there’s a clue here too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I guess I did when I see all the offers Disney is offering for people to book in the next few months.
...they’re really not offering much...

And even though they were “obligated“ to reopen dvc...the fact that they are not even selling passes tells me they don’t really want it filled.

What’s the % that use day tickets these days? It doesn’t make sense for most DVC customers

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom