50 for the 50th

DisneyManOne

We Know The Way: Journey of Moana

Voyage of the Little Mermaid Replacement
Christmas 2018

20160921_025317.jpg

disney-moana-maui.jpg

The Voyage of the Little Mermaid Show is a 17 minute production that replaced Here Comes The Muppets in January 1992, after the popularity of The Little Mermaid upon its release in 1989. However, since New Fantasyland opened in 2012, the 25 year old show, while still holding a special place in many people's hearts, is long overdue for a replacement. Several shows have had overlays just years after they began such as the Hunchback of Notre Dame show, and while Voyage of the Little Mermaid still runs strong, something updated and novel coming into the Disney Parks would be great for Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Ever since the success of Moana, rumors have swirls regarding her placement in Adventureland, either in a Volcano based attraction in the expansion pad, or even in the Enchanted Tiki Room. While the former seems to have fallen through, and I sincerely hope that the Tiki Room doesn't happen, I'm here to entertain a third option that I haven't heard mentioned.

Voyage to the Little Mermaid transformation into a Moana show - which would need to have similar water effects and surroundings that the theater already provides for the Little Mermaid. In addition, similar to the Little Mermaid, it would be over 2 years since Moana's release and the opening of the stage production, similar to the Little Mermaid in 1989, and the show's release in January 1992. Roughly a similar time frame between the film and an implementation in the parks.

While Moana seems like a perfect fit over in the Polynesian areas of Adventureland, I think that there are so many other projects going on in the Magic Kingdom - that adding more into that park wouldn't help the crowds that will be flocking to Disney's Hollywood Studios in the coming years for both Toy Story Land and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

Having a new, popular character, have a full-time attraction, with a similar length in show to Voyage of the Little Mermaid, would offer an escape for the crowds and provide a desperately needed update to Disney's Hollywood Studios's show lineup that features many decade old shows. Rumors suggest that Voyage of the Little Mermaid might be removed by the end of next year - and We Know The Way: Journey of Moana - I think could be a great short-term inclusion to represent a new, popular character in the Disney Parks. This will also continue the theme of adding more 'color' and vivid imagery to the back of Disney's Hollywood Studios - following suit with the colorful displays of Toy Story Land and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway!
2017-12-12.png

Show description to come

(*sidenote - I'm placeholding @MonorailRed 's parts of the project by saying 'to come' because she's swamped with finals until next week. But this way we can just slot her stuff in when she's ready):)

Well, here's yet another idea that is actually kinda-sorta going to come to life. We are getting a Moana stage show...on the Disney Treasure, at least.

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
I would much prefer the little mermaid show just being demolished and replaced with something else. I was never a big fan of animation courtyard and just wanted to replace with a Pixar land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom