5 Facts About Disney's Partners Statue

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Do you have a favorite statue that you always take photos of/with when visiting the World?

Maybe the characters that are immortalized on the benches on Main Street? Maybe the Indian? Maybe the celebrity "heads" in the Studios' Hall of Fame?

WESH news website posted some information regarding a favorite for many of us, the Partners Statue, so here it is:

Partners-Statue2-jpg.jpg

The statue of Walt Disney holding hands with Mickey Mouse known as the Partners Statue was unveiled at the Magic Kingdom in June 1995, and is the second Partners Statue after the first was installed at Disneyland in 1993. Here are five facts about the famous statue.
  1. The Partners Statue was sculpted by Disney Legend Blaine Gibson. A former Disney animator and Imagineer, Blaine took one year to create the sculpture and based his depiction of Walt on a bust he originally created in the 1960s.

2. When considering having Mickey hold Walt’s hand, Blaine consulted footage from the film "Fantasia," in which Mickey shakes the hand of orchestra conductor Leopold Stokowski.

3. One early sketch of the Partners Statue featured Mickey holding an ice cream cone in one hand.

4. When choosing an expression for Walt's face, Blaine tried to reflect Walt’s goal of making people happy. The statue's expression is Blaine's interpretation of Walt watching happy people enjoy the park.

5. The initials on Walt’s tie are "STR," and stand for "Smoke Tree Ranch," an area in Palm Springs where Walt once owned a vacation home.

afar28

Very interesting facts. By far one of my favorite locations in the world. Without them, WDW wouldn't even be here. Thanks for the share!

MY_NAME_STITCH

Thanks for the great info. Did you also know that there is a partner's statue at the studio in Burbank? It's the same as the park statues with one small exception.. It sits on the ground rather than on a pedestal. You can walk up to it and take your photo with it. My DW and I toured the studio last year as D23 members and it was amazing.

Gonzo79

I always make sure I get a few photos of the Partners Statute and one of Goofy on Main Street every trip. Thanks for sharing the info!

JIMINYCR

My cameras always clicking. Same statues every year, but try to get a different point of view or background each trip. I always get the Partners and also Roy & Minnie. Goofy on Main street with my son standing along side. All the little character statues around the hub. Cinderella at her fountain, with and without her crown views. Muppet statues in the fountain w/ Miss Piggy. The sculpted heads ( do they count??) academy of television arts at DHS. Oh ... and the Mermaid statue in all her glory is a must.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom