4th of July at Disney World?

615marsh

We're looking at booking a trip next year. It will be our first trip in over 4 years. My youngest was under 3 the last time. She is now 7. I work for the school system and am restricted on dates. After playing around with booking an off-site condo versus a value resort package, I realized the 4th of July isn't outrageously priced. Last time, we had a family of 5. This time my oldest is married and will not be travelling with us. So as a family of 4, we're looking at staying on-site for the first time. Is there enough extra magic to justify braving 4th of July traffic? We will be driving down from Kentucky.

Figgy1

Premium Member
No go as early in June as you can or as late in August as you can, first 2 weeks June or last 2 weeks August. Think sardine can that's over packed. Unless you're super into 4thof July

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It is very busy on the 4th. I have been there twice for the 4th of July and I would go back during that time. We go to the parks early and plan to take it easy in the afternoon/evening and go back to the resort for awhile. We watch the fantastic 4th of July fireworks at the Magic Kingdom on the 3rd, and last year watched the fireworks again on the 4th but this time from California Grill. I think if you expect it to be busy and pace yourself and pack your patience it is fine, especially if you can only go in the summer.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Brazilian tour groups. Actually, South American tour groups, since that appears to be the winter school break for them. I visited over the 4th of July 3 years ago. The parks were packed. I agree with other posters - go early June or as late as you can in August.

Upvote 0

615marsh

Original Poster
Thanks! We don't typically get out of school until early June and then return to school early August. I have a graduate class I need in June, so I was looking at July. Is later July any better? We can handle the heat. We camp in July all the time and heat doesn't bother us. We've always headed back to the rooms during the hottest part of the day, so we'll keep up with that strategy. I'm looking at staying at Art of Animation. Our fall break is the first week of October and spring break the first week of April. Both of those weeks are super busy as well. We are so busy at Christmas that I don't think we could book a stay then. We would like a full week and not just a long weekend. This is frustrating. I'm going to check with my advisor and see if that class is offered in July term in addition to June.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

Crowds are going to be busy no matter when. Yes, they will be a little extra crazy on the 4th, but just remember that it's better to be at Disney on the 4th of July than not at Disney. :)
I believe the Brazilian tour groups have eased off with all of the economic problems they are having. They still come, but not as many.

Upvote 0

kbmum

My family has been going to Disney around July 4 for decades (my dad loves the fireworks on the 3rd and 4th). In general, I've found that crowd levels don't start getting terrible until July 3 and then are very busy afterward. If you want to include the 4th in your trip, I'd suggest having that be near the end of your vacation.

Last summer, we ended up going during the first week of August. To me, it was hotter and more humid than in early July and it was crazy busy. I thought the crowds wouldn't be bad because many schools in the south start in early August, but I was wrong. I won't go back at that time again.

Upvote 0

Leo!

I was there mid july this year and it was really manageable. I've saw much more crowded parks and resorts during last October. July is expensive and you don't have free dining plans, or food and wine or festivals, that's why I think the crowds are moving to other months.

Anyway July 4th should be one of the worst days of the year crowd-wise.

Upvote 0

gojoe

Because of my wife's job we always had the first week in July off. So do allot of people and I think most go to Disney. So every other year we would spent it at Disney. All I can say is plan. Get up early (before it get too hot) see as many attractions as you can before noon. Get out and back to someplace cool (pool). Go back after the 3 pm afternoon rain. Much later. If you can go some other time of year.
All that said the fireworks at Magic Kingdom should not be missed. We have now moved to Florida and go to Disney twice a month (at least) and we always go to the 4th's fireworks (mostly on the 3rd). This year we saw them from the Poly, spectacular. It can't compare to a Main Street view. A busy day at Disney is better than not going at all.

Upvote 0

VIPguide_2030

I think we are going as well the first 2 weeks of July, what I thought I saw with Touring Plans was 6-7 out of 10 crowd levels for the most part. I'm sure the 4th is nuts and TSL is probably going to be open for just over a month at that point so maybe it will be even worse. It is all about planning and expectations. My plan this year will be to visit MK 3 times, 3 lands per day the 1st 2 days with breaks and then a greatest hits day the 3rd. Its all what you make it I guess...seems like there are no "slow" times anymore.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

As others have noted, 7/4 is hot, crowded, humid, busy, did I say hot? But it’s also super fun and festive and if it’s the only time you can go, then you make it work and work through the tough parts. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

pvtim

With a wife that is a teacher- we are normally down there around the same time. Crowds are larger in the month of July, but with some planning the crowds are managable and the parks can even be considered enjoyable. This summer will mark our 7th straight trip down in July and the key to a July stay is park early (with key fast passes), afternoon pool/nap breaks and then finish the day with the add on fast passes until parks close.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

We did it once in 2010 and we vowed we wouldn't do it again.
We don't usually leave the parks, though, so our touring style is different. We don't live nearby and only get to visit once a year.
We can always swim in a pool up here when we want. We can't always play in the world's best playground.
Since I teach, we usually go down in August. It lets us decompress at home a bit and gives us something to look forward to.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom