4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

ABQ

Loewes' doesn't allow pets to remain unaccompanied in the rooms. You must use a pet-sitting service. And if they find your pet in the room without you... they remove it and charge you $50/hour sitting fee.
That's cool. I mean, I have no interest whatsoever in bringing a pet with me, but it does seem the Loews people know how to run a place that allows people to. I was recently startled by a barking dog while staying at the Fess Parker (Disney's own Davey Crocket) resort in Santa Barbara. Was in the room across the hall. I called the front desk, asked if there was a noise policy, certain times of day and such, this was mid morning, I didn't care much as I was awake and the sounds of the shoreline and the PCH were nearly as loud anyway. Still, they dealt swiftly and apparently discretely with the guests in that room, I think I heard one bark the rest of my stay.

disneygeek90

Regardless of if you crate or don’t crate there are ways to make your dog comfortable when in a hotel.. their own bed, blanket, etc. 7 hours isn’t some massive amount of time for a dog to be alone..plenty do it several times per week. This whole thing is not as dramatic as many people are making it sound. Literally millions of people per year travel with their dogs. They’re all ok, as are people staying in the hotels after them.
Yes... they do it several times a week... in their own home....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
He loves to take baths/showers. Open the shower door he walks right in. Spray him with a hose, he sits right down. Ask him to lift his chin so you can spray off his chest, he lifts his chin. Stupidest thing you have ever seen.

At least he LIKES taking a bath, So many dogs HATE it, As for the cats, Honey where is my chain mail???

cldwv

I think the persons for and against this new policy are wasting their breath trying to convince the other their position is the right one. This debate is very personal for a lot of folks for a lot of reasons. I respect opinions on both sides.

That said, I strongly believe that dogs have no place in Disney resorts and I will not stay at Yacht Club again because of this. I am certain I am one of many who feel this way. What’s my biggest concern? Housekeeping, oops, Mousekeeping is iffy at best – even at the deluxe resorts. I have 0% confidence that will improve based on this policy. Those rooms will likely smell of dog, urine, and Febreze.

Wish I would have known 2 weeks ago when I was at YC so I could have said so long, it’s been nice knowing you. Shame really, I liked that resort. I will be back at DW in a few weeks (this stay at Contemporary) and will make a point of paying YC a visit to check out the situation.

Casper Gutman

I think the persons for and against this new policy are wasting their breath trying to convince the other their position is the right one. This debate is very personal for a lot of folks for a lot of reasons. I respect opinions on both sides.

That said, I strongly believe that dogs have no place in Disney resorts and I will not stay at Yacht Club again because of this. I am certain I am one of many who feel this way. What’s my biggest concern? Housekeeping, oops, Mousekeeping is iffy at best – even at the deluxe resorts. I have 0% confidence that will improve based on this policy. Those rooms will likely smell of dog, urine, and Febreze.

Wish I would have known 2 weeks ago when I was at YC so I could have said so long, it’s been nice knowing you. Shame really, I liked that resort. I will be back at DW in a few weeks (this stay at Contemporary) and will make a point of paying YC a visit to check out the situation.
I respect your attitude, but feel its worth noting that it will take several decades before the amount of dog urine that has hit those floors is equal to the amount of human urine that has done so up to now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I had my arm nowhere near the Wiemaraner that vaulted the fence between his house and the road I was cycling on... so no, the victim is not always to blame for the bite.

That's why one carries a full length frame pump when cycling instead of a mini pump, Only used it ONCE on a dog that wanted a chunk of my leg, Dog ran away howling, Pump was ruined but no trip to the ER for a dog bite and from other cyclists in the area the dog stopped chasing cyclists after that it would watch but not chase.

janoimagine

I respect your attitude, but feel its worth noting that it will take several decades before the amount of dog urine that has hit those floors is equal to the amount of human urine that has done so up to now.
Or other fluids for that matter.

Most of the higher end hotels have been doing this for years, W's, Thompson Hotels, Lowes, Vail Properties ext., and it's not a huge deal at all ... I travel a lot for production and we tend to stay in some pretty nice properties all across the US and the World, we also stay in our share of dumps too ... but every pet owner I have ever encountered in the lobby is very respectful and I have yet to have my trip infringed upon or lose sleep because a careless pet owner has let there animals run amok or left them in there rooms for 8+ hours.

Honestly I have seen worse behavior from people themselves or from kids running up and down hallways nocking on doors or messing around the elevators or lobby.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I don’t know. Our local Howl-o-Ween events all range from free (for dogs) to about $20 per dog.
Being a special event at Disney I’d think people may pay up to $80. You’ll have photpass there..which is a major bonus.
Two dogs getting randy with each other during the party might be worth the ticket price, even for a non-dog owner.

miltimo5

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — Four hotels at Walt Disney World Resort will allow guests to bring dogs beginning Sunday.

The hotels near Orlando, Florida, are Disney's Yacht Club Resort, Disney Port Orleans Resort-Riverside, Disney's Art of Animation Resort and cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. The Yacht Club adds $75 to daily room rates for canine guests, the other three, $50.

The pilot program is accepting reservations through October 2018. Two dogs are permitted per guest room.

A Pluto's Welcome Kit includes a mat, bowls, pet ID tag, plastic bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Doggy day care and other pet services are offered nearby at Best Friends, an on-property pet care facility.

Disney says dogs staying in its hotels "must be well behaved, leashed in resort public areas and properly vaccinated."

miltimo5

At $50-75 a day, I cant imagine that many takers. I am supposed to be going with 2 great nieces (4 & 1) who have a very friendly little malti-po don't want them around strange dogs kids tend to think all dogs are the same -- friendly hope it doesn't go over sorry a dog loving family - we have 7 dogs in the family ... but they don't belong in so many resorts... guess I will be knocking some off my lists for next trip

Raineman

Here's my 2 cents on the matter, after 57 pages. Does the idea of staying at a WDW resort with dogs close by bother me? Not in theory, no. Would I ever bring my own dog with me to WDW? Nope. I do have to mention the people who are against the idea based on their allergic reactions to dogs. Three of the most common allergic reactions occur from the presence of dust, mold and pollen. All three of these things are present at WDW, in varying degrees in different places and different times of the year. I'm sure there are many people who are very allergic to at least one of those three things, yet they can still visit WDW and deal with the allergens enough to keep their trip worthwhile. Two of those three allergens are almost impossible to control (dust, pollen) and the third (mold) is most likely a constant battle in humid Florida to control. If people can control their allergic reactions to something that is basically unseen and all around them, why would it be difficult to minimize an allergic reaction to something that, for the most part, you can see and control your interaction with? Not trying to be a troll or be confrontational, just wondering why this would be a huge concern, based on what I've described (I know I'll get at least a few angry, irrational responses, but I'm OK with that).

disneygeek90

Honestly, I think the majority of people that do bring their dogs will be responsible. My concern is over the smaller portion that won't be doing it correctly. As the saying goes there will always be someone to ruin the experience for everyone else.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I didn't read this whole thread, so I'm sorry if this opinion has already been stated...

Disney is basically giving the jerks who already abuse the service dog laws an excuse to do so even more, and I guarantee we'll see the number of people abusing the law increase by a lot.

Don't get me wrong, I think service dogs are wonderful (I would love to get my autistic son one, but with the price tag in the $25,000 range, I don't see that happening). It's the people abusing the law that anger me. And no - therapy dogs do not fall under the same protections as service dogs.
Blame the Americans with Disabilities Act. How it is written, re: service animals, allows it to be abused.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
At $50-75 a day, I cant imagine that many takers. I am supposed to be going with 2 great nieces (4 & 1) who have a very friendly little malti-po don't want them around strange dogs kids tend to think all dogs are the same -- friendly hope it doesn't go over sorry a dog loving family - we have 7 dogs in the family ... but they don't belong in so many resorts... guess I will be knocking some off my lists for next trip
$50 a day is a drop in the ocean for many people's vacation budget. A good number of people are spending $10k and upwards in a Disney vacation. I wouldn't look to pricing as being much of an issue.

disneygeek90

And THAT folks is why Loewes Dog policy works and Disneys will fail at no time is the dog unattended.
We can't even get people to stay behind the yellow line in the first 5 tries. In no way can we expect the general public to be responsible with this, either. I see the idiocy of people in the parks on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom