4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Lets Respect

As a professional (working, service and PPD) dog trainer I feel I should offer my opinion on this subject. I work with dogs EVERYDAY of my life. My Instagram is proof of that. The common problem is not with the dog, but with the human who owns them. Dogs are not asking to visit WDW. People WANT to bring their dogs to WDW. I personally feel that people should be allowed to bring their dogs on all types of adventures, even WDW. But the dog should be TRAINED and the owner should have real education on how to handle their dog in public.

I think this could work if Disney implemented two basic rules.

1. Tell guests who have a dog that they can not allow people to pet it.

2. Tell guests without a dog that they can not pet dogs in the parks and resorts.

Why these two rules? This is the easiest way to prevent a dog from biting someone. I highly doubt these rules will be put in place and I assure it will only be a matter of time until a person or child gets bit and then queue the lawsuits.

For anybody who feels like their dog would or could never bite person,you are deluding yourself. One of the most common things I hear from clients is "my dog NEVER did that before". Yes, even small dogs. It only takes one time for certain elements to be present and your dog will react (fight or flight). And it doesnt even need to be a bite for a problem to occur. A Labrador getting excited and jumping on a small child could cause injury. So if a dog does bite someone or jump on someone and cause an injury, who is to blame? I will tell you. The HUMANS are to blame. Not the dog. You put your dog in that situation. The dog did not put itself in that situation. Sadly, the dog will pay the price for the bad decisions and lack of education on its human owners behalf. Just my opinion as a professional dog trainer. My concern is ALWAYS for the dog. For anybody who needs proof,
My Instagram is : Akira The Dutch.

Yes to your points 1 and 2

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Problem is - some of us have already booked our vacations, prior to this unwelcome news.
I’ve emailed Disney, but I’m pretty sure that we’re going to have to change resorts.

Some people don’t get it. There are many adults and children who are downright terrified of mid-to-large sized dogs. I am one of them. It is illogical, I know, but I have no control over it. When I see large dogs, my heart races, I start to sweat and hyperventilate, apparently my pupils dilate. Dogs sense this. Dogs that are generally happy, friendly dogs snarl, growl, and occasionally snap at me.

When out for a walk, if I see a leashed dog approaching, I cross over to the other side of the street. God help me if I see an unleashed dog.

And no, I don’t hate dogs. Nor am I allergic or germ phobic. I own a dog. She has slept in our bed for 15 years. I am scared. Plain and simple. The thought of getting up in the morning and heading to the Riverside Mill and encountering large dogs on the way has me contemplating transferring back to Coronado Springs. I trust Disney will be accommodating in this regard.

Time to upgrade to beach club or GF! :)

peter11435

Problem is - some of us have already booked our vacations, prior to this unwelcome news.
I’ve emailed Disney, but I’m pretty sure that we’re going to have to change resorts.

Some people don’t get it. There are many adults and children who are downright terrified of mid-to-large sized dogs. I am one of them. It is illogical, I know, but I have no control over it. When I see large dogs, my heart races, I start to sweat and hyperventilate, apparently my pupils dilate. Dogs sense this. Dogs that are generally happy, friendly dogs snarl, growl, and occasionally snap at me.

When out for a walk, if I see a leashed dog approaching, I cross over to the other side of the street. God help me if I see an unleashed dog.

And no, I don’t hate dogs. Nor am I allergic or germ phobic. I own a dog. She has slept in our bed for 15 years. I am scared. Plain and simple. The thought of getting up in the morning and heading to the Riverside Mill and encountering large dogs on the way has me contemplating transferring back to Coronado Springs. I trust Disney will be accommodating in this regard.
Service animals are allowed anywhere so you could see large dogs at any resort.

prfctlyximprct

I am sure they will be accommodating in transferring your resort. :)

If you tell them your reasoning I’m sure you will have no problem switching!

docandsix

Children are human beings. Dogs are animals.

It's not really about which "behaves" better than the other, but rather recognizing the inherent value of a child, regardless of its behavior, over and against that of a dog. Once we have lost that perspective, humans everywhere will be (and are) treated with less than their full measure of dignity. I am fine with loving animals as such, but our society has crossed a line after which the needs of human persons are prioritized behind the coddling of beasts.

“Wherever there is animal worship there is human sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.”
--G.K. Chesterton

prfctlyximprct

It's not really about which "behaves" better than the other, but rather recognizing the inherent value of a child, regardless of its behavior, over and against that of a dog. Once we have lost that perspective, humans everywhere will be (and are) treated with less than their full measure of dignity. I am fine with loving animals as such, but our society has crossed a line after which the needs of human persons are prioritized behind the coddling of beasts.

“Wherever there is animal worship there is human sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.”
--G.K. Chesterton

The only beast on this planet is the human population.

Animaniac93-98

Royal Pacific is a pet friendly hotel, but it works there because the pet rooms are in a different high-rise tower with interior hallways, and there's more of a seperation (physical, noise etc) from the regular rooms.

With POR and AoA you have to walk outside between buildings to get to reception, the food court and bus stops so you're more likely to encounter them that way. Not sure what it would be like at YC.

BrittanyRose428

I've always lived in dog friendly areas.. the last city I lived in was more dog friendly than where I'm at now.. but dogs are still allowed at many places here. (Example- I would never take my dog to an indoor mall where I live now, but he always came with me where I used to live). Outdoor areas are still similar.

Starbucks and many outdoor restaurants keep dog bowls and treats.. dogs are commonly seen at outdoor shopping areas.. Do people here just avoid all of these places?
That's what it sounds like. My town is super dog friendly, many shops allow dogs to come inside, and if not they almost always have bowls outside, we have pet friendly hotels, and lots of restaurants that have outdoor seating allow dogs, many of which even have food for the dogs. I'm allergic to dogs, but I've never had any issues where I live or in hotels I've stayed in that have allowed dogs. I honestly am not even a dog person, but I get why it's a popular trend lately to bring the dogs places.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Service animals are allowed anywhere so you could see large dogs at any resort.
I’ve thankfully never had a service dog snarl at me.

As with all dogs, as long as I spot them in time, I give even service dogs a wide berth. On the occasions that I absolutely must pass close by, Hubby makes sure to stay between me and the dog at all times.

I kill my own spiders, and am the only resident centipede killer, so I’m not a total wimp. ;)

21stamps

The only beast on this planet is the human population.

I'm going to say that the majority of dogs I've seen in my life have much better manners than too many people that I've encountered on a monorail or bus at WDW.
I have a genuine fear of dogs. This has made me nervous. Anxiety & nerves are emotions that don't usually surface in the build up to a trip- it's usually excitement :(

To the people saying just stay somewhere else- that's not an option for an already booked trip in the near future, availability is limited or comes with large additional costs.

What do you do when you see a dog at any place besides Disney World?

Disorbust

I am sure Disney will do its best to accomidate you. Every dog at disney will be leashed just like every service dog or comfort dog is. I don't think there is anyway you can find a completely dog free hotel/park especially now with everyone IMHO abusing the comfort dog title. It is very easy to get a vest on ebay or amazon.

21stamps

That's what it sounds like. My town is super dog friendly, many shops allow dogs to come inside, and if not they almost always have bowls outside, we have pet friendly hotels, and lots of restaurants that have outdoor seating allow dogs, many of which even have food for the dogs. I'm allergic to dogs, but I've never had any issues where I live or in hotels I've stayed in that have allowed dogs. I honestly am not even a dog person, but I get why it's a popular trend lately to bring the dogs places.

Exactly. The past 15 years or so it's been pretty much the norm (in most cities) to have dogs at open air malls..restaurants with outdoor seating.,coffee shops etc.
It's almost impossible to avoid.

21stamps

I just want to reiterate something to all of those who are freaking out-

Anyone who is flying is not going to have a big dog traveling with them.
Traveling with a small dog adds expense to your flight, you also lose your carry on, and it adds to your per night cost at a hotel.
Disney is a busy vacation for many people, they aren't going to add that cost just to see their dog an hour or two per day.

Large dogs require more exercise than small dogs., which means for people who drive and have the ability to bring a large dog- most will have busy vacations and not want to deal with breaks and long walks.

So factoring all of that in- it's not very likely that you're going to be surrounded by big or small oh- so -frightening -dogs -on -a -leash.

The cabins are probably the exception, but the leash will still apply.

Movielover

Trigger Warning: Adorableness

b06572c9f8ab810ae18d8306a561c7fa--puppies-smiling-dogs-puppies.jpg

Never thought in my life I would have to give a trigger warning for a picture of a puppy... :banghead:

:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom