4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Incomudro

I just want to say again how utterly baffling the reactions to this are.

WDW has declined precipitously over the last two decades. Maintenance budgets have been slashed. Staffing has been slashed. Beloved, classic rides have been closed, almost always for lackluster replacements - or no replacement. Restaurants have been standardized and become less interesting. Prices have skyrocketed to astronomical levels. Service has declined across the board. Hotels have become dramatically more bland. The list goes on.

And through all that, I have NEVER seen this level of hysterical negativity towards a Disney decision. It's fascinating.
Ok...
So how is adding dogs to this mix a good thing?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That you're equating providing gluten free food with allowing dogs in rooms where human beings who are allergic to them will also be booked is laughable. Really. ROFL.

I said dietary choices, read again closer. Gluten intolerance is only present in one to half of a percent of the population. There's a lot of bandwagon dietary adherence to that choice just like the many variations of meatless diets.. Not obligate, but by choice.

Disney follows the industry in some things, leads in others.

BrittanyRose428

I work in the tourism office at a very pet-friendly town and am really surprised to see the outrage here. I am allergic to dogs myself, and am pretty germaphobic if we're going to go there, but I also recognize that this is a growing trend in the travel industry and for that reason it isn't completely outlandish that a resort complex as large as Disney would offer this.

The accommodations I work with in town include 4 pet-friendly options out of 11 total hotels/inns/B&Bs. One of the hotels in town is by far our most popular place for guests to stay, and in addition to being pet-friendly they even have a doggy room service menu. The same rules that Disney is using with allowing dogs to be alone in rooms for 7 hours, limiting the number to two dogs, and providing specific signage for the door are really standard across the travel industry.

Many chain hotels allow pets, and if you didn't know that it's probably because you weren't looking for it. I stay in chain hotels traveling for work all the time that I know are pet friendly, but since I didn't bring a pet it really has no impact on my stay, and even with my severe dog allergies I notice no difference. I probably get 1-2 inquiries per week at work from guests who are looking for pet friendly accomodations, which is a lot given how small the town is. I don't think Disney is trying to ruffle feathers with non-dog owning guests, I really think they're just keeping up with what many other resorts in the industry are doing and it's causing people to overreact.

Casper Gutman

Ok...
So how is adding dogs to this mix a good thing?
It's not an earth-shaking improvement, but I'd say it is a good thing. It's adding a service, which is a positive. And it shouldn't be a problem - as another poster just commented, this is increasingly standard for hotels, including many high end ones - all Loews Hotels and many Four Seasons allow dogs, for instance. All Disney needs to do to manage this is offer the level of competence and efficiency of a La Quinta, another dog-friendly chain, and at WDW prices that shouldn't be hard.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I work in the tourism office at a very pet-friendly town and am really surprised to see the outrage here. I am allergic to dogs myself, and am pretty germaphobic if we're going to go there, but I also recognize that this is a growing trend in the travel industry and for that reason it isn't completely outlandish that a resort complex as large as Disney would offer this.

The accommodations I work with in town include 4 pet-friendly options out of 11 total hotels/inns/B&Bs. One of the hotels in town is by far our most popular place for guests to stay, and in addition to being pet-friendly they even have a doggy room service menu. The same rules that Disney is using with allowing dogs to be alone in rooms for 7 hours, limiting the number to two dogs, and providing specific signage for the door are really standard across the travel industry.

Many chain hotels allow pets, and if you didn't know that it's probably because you weren't looking for it. I stay in chain hotels traveling for work all the time that I know are pet friendly, but since I didn't bring a pet it really has no impact on my stay, and even with my severe dog allergies I notice no difference. I probably get 1-2 inquiries per week at work from guests who are looking for pet friendly accomodations, which is a lot given how small the town is. I don't think Disney is trying to ruffle feathers with non-dog owning guests, I really think they're just keeping up with what many other resorts in the industry are doing and it's causing people to overreact.

Cant wait to see the first picture of a 'carpet mine' left behind by a rushed Mousekeeping staff. Or the pictures of stained carpet or furniture.

Heck mousekeeping cant even keep the current 'pet-free' rooms clean.

This is going to backfire spectacularly

prfctlyximprct

Just genuinely curious if this is a way they can make money off service dogs? I’m assuming the charge would apply to them.. Would guest with service dogs be restricted to these four hotels?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not an earth-shaking improvement, but I'd say it is a good thing. It's adding a service, which is a positive. And it shouldn't be a problem - as another poster just commented, this is increasingly standard for hotels, including many high end ones - all Loews Hotels and many Four Seasons allow dogs, for instance. All Disney needs to do to manage this is offer the level of competence and efficiency of a La Quinta, another dog-friendly chain, and at WDW prices that shouldn't be hard.

It should not be hard, Yet for Disney it will be impossible because the hotels you mention have a reputation for quality. Disney has a reputation for cost and corner cutting.

BrittanyRose428

Cant wait to see the first picture of a 'carpet mine' left behind by a rushed Mousekeeping staff. Or the pictures of stained carpet or furniture.

Heck mousekeeping cant even keep the current 'pet-free' rooms clean.

This is going to backfire spectacularly
If it works smoothly in many other locations, why be so quick to dismiss Disney's housekeeping abilities? Like I said, this is a very common amenity in the industry and while I'm sure there are some isolated incidents (as there are with housekeeping anyway) I've never heard such concern over a resort not being able to handle their own pet-friendly rooms.

21stamps

I only read the first two pages, but I'm cracking up right now.

Couple of things-

•There are nice hotels who allow dogs.

•Not all dogs are huge.

•A pet who travels with their owner probably isn't barking constantly.

My dog weighs less than 5 pounds, he's almost 11 years old. He's been on probably 20 flights at least, and if you were sitting near us you wouldn't even know he was there. If you had a hotel room next to us, you wouldn't hear him barking.

I don't have plans to ever take my dog to Disney World though.lol

DisneyMann

This is quite possibly the worst idea Disney has ever had. Entirely too many dog owners are irresponsible and lack understanding why people have a fear of dogs. No one should have to worry about this while on vacation. There are so many dog owners say "oh they don't bite". ....I still will have some fear dependent upon the dog. Many dog owners don't have that understanding and are ignorant about others feelings. Not all...but too many.

Yes, there are dogs that are better behaved than some children but I don't walk past a little brat of a child with any fear. No concern about being bitten or anything else nor do I have to worry about barking too.

The other part of this in my opinion is the money Disney may make, they will lose when there is a biting issue lawsuit or someone slipped and fell while stepping in dog ....y'all know it's going to happen. Not to mention all the extra accommodations to give guests who will complain if someone's dog keeps them awake or tries to bite them or anything resulting from a "dog issue". People will want things for their inconvenience whether it's warranted or not....we know how some people are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom