4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Lets Respect

I don't think this is about more money, I think they are trying to keep some resorts pet free. There are a lot of bogus service animals at Disney, now they will all be in one place.

Yep. There may be so many phony service dogs there now that this could be a way to corral them. And keep them out of the parks.

Rumrunner

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) — Four hotels at Walt Disney World Resort will allow guests to bring dogs beginning Sunday.

The hotels near Orlando, Florida, are Disney's Yacht Club Resort, Disney Port Orleans Resort-Riverside, Disney's Art of Animation Resort and cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. The Yacht Club adds $75 to daily room rates for canine guests, the other three, $50.

The pilot program is accepting reservations through October 2018. Two dogs are permitted per guest room.

A Pluto's Welcome Kit includes a mat, bowls, pet ID tag, plastic bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Doggy day care and other pet services are offered nearby at Best Friends, an on-property pet care facility.

Disney says dogs staying in its hotels "must be well behaved, leashed in resort public areas and properly vaccinated."
The rules of "well behaved and vaccinated" should also apply to some of the humans staying in the hotels.

DisAl

I am a Biologist.

All dogs smell. Same for all Humans, cats, ect. As far as "germs" I would rather step in dog **** than human. You don't step in human ****, you touch it, everywhere in your room. To all the "allergy!" people, maybe you need to think about how much rodent hair and feces is considered acceptable by the FDA in your food?

It's just a few dogs, humans have been living in symbiosis with them for thousands of years, YOU will be fine.
You may be a biologist, but obviously YOU have never dealt with allergies. Are you going to tell a kid with a deathly allergy to peanuts to go ahead and eat them, millions of people eat them every day and THEY are just fine? To make a general statement to "allergy people" you will be fine is utterly stupid.

Last edited:

beachlover4444

Yes animals have a scent but a dog staying in a room here or there will not make the room smell like dog for all eternity. We leave our dog for days at a time (dog sitter comes over) and I never notice a dog smell when I come home. If she sleeps in the bed with us for nights on end then yes, the blankets starts to smell like dog and we wash them.
when you have pets you dont notice the odors but someone who doesnt will notice it immediately. Even if you are the cleanest of people. It's the same way with smoking in the rooms and why so many hotels are smoke free. You never completely eliminate that odor.

beachlover4444

Allergies and noise seem to be the two major potential issues. It's surprising they didn't make note of how they plan to handle either of those.
exactly I walk into a room where pets have been and my eyes itch and I'm done for. And i bought a condo, not knowing i was next to so many dogs. needless to say i love my condo but hate the location because of being woke up with barking dogs. i love pets, but not when I'm on vacation

DGracey

This is one of the most fascinating resort changes in a long time.

I don't understand it.

Have they felt that much demand from guests to bring their dogs? At the risk of alienating the majority who don't bring an animal? I can't see the $50 upcharge (per night!) bringing in enough revenue to offset the negatives that will come with this.

This is a strange one. Maybe the head of resorts is a dog lover.

One dog bites one kid ,and this thing is over fast.

But these days, "pilots" seem to disappear more often than they become permanent though ...

wdwfan100

I love dogs and think this is a bad idea. They are handing out pee pads for a reason. I see most dog owners that give a command to their dog and it couldn’t care less. Why, because it is their child and it is spoiled. It can do no wrong in their eyes. Mousekeeping is already taking short cuts and having difficulty keeping up. They do not have the resources to keep up with this. If your a dog owner and love your dog $50 is nothing to be able to bring them. Rooms will get worn out quickly and the Walmarting of Disney will be complete. There will be damage due to separation anxiety. There will be barking at night and there will be pooping and peeing in rooms. What is tolerable for a dog owner is usually not as tolerable for the people next door. This is another money grab at the cost of guest experience.

Tony the Tigger

This is one of the most fascinating resort changes in a long time.

I don't understand it.

Have they felt that much demand from guests to bring their dogs? At the risk of alienating the majority who don't bring an animal? I can't see the $50 upcharge (per night!) bringing in enough revenue to offset the negatives that will come with this.

This is a strange one. Maybe the head of resorts is a dog lover.

One dog bites one kid ,and this thing is over fast.

But these days, "pilots" seem to disappear more often than they become permanent though ...

Of course there is that much demand.

One dog bites a kid? Because in all the other hotels that take pets, dogs bite kids all the time?

Other hotels can take pets, but Disney is not capable of handling that?

Note the program is only happening in a small number of hotels. Problem solved for anyone who has a problem with it.

For the record, my dog is much, much less disturbing than 89% of children in hotels. She never makes a peep.

SeanWM48

Fort Wilderness has always had pet friendly loops - so it has been allowed for many years, this latest change allows them in the cabins.
i should have specified cabins. i would not bring my dog to the cabins. i just think over time the cabins will take a beating with the fur and whatnot.

i'm sure the cleaning crew will do their best but generally after a little while you'll know when you get into one of the cabins that a dog (or several) visited before you did.

Shane7694

Of course there is that much demand.

One dog bites a kid? Because in all the other hotels that take pets, dogs bite kids all the time?

Other hotels can take pets, but Disney is not capable of handling that?

Note the program is only happening in a small number of hotels. Problem solved for anyone who has a problem with it.

For the record, my dog is much, much less disturbing than 89% of children in hotels. She never makes a peep.

It's still a dog..

newhorizons1

We're ready.

22366732_506490653043936_414152774335323731_n by Rachel Metzger, on Flickr

Every time my husband and I go out of town we always talk about how we wish we could bring our dog with us. He's family. Would we actually travel to Orlando with him? Probably not. He's 90 lbs and 5'5'' when on his back legs, so there goes any chance of bringing luggage with us too. Considering the extra daily fee I doubt these four resorts will become overrun by dogs overnnight. Also, I know there are always exceptions, but I wouldn't take our dog anywhere with us if I didn't know he couldn't handle it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am utterly amazed at the reaction here. All the awful ways that WDW has been destroying their hotels, and THIS is what seems to get people upset?

Someone has probably pointed this out, but Uni's hotels have always allowed dogs and I have consistently found the experience and service at those resorts to be superior to what WDW has offered over the last decade.
I really don't have a dog in this fight...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom