4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

Bartledvd

Not a fan of this idea but thankfully i have no plans to ever go back to AoA or the yacht club and never had any interest in the other two resourts just keep the dogs out of OKW and animal kingdom lodge that way I don't have to worry about special gifts and that great dog smell every owners house smells like that they never seem to notice just like smokers

mikejs78

Premium Member
No one assumes "all dogs are bad."
But enough are.
And just like bad kids, the dogs are bad because their owners are bad.
Adding dogs to the mix doesn't do away with the bad kids and parenting.
It simply adds to the mix.
We don't need this.
And your pet is not your child.
I've had dogs.
I have kids (15 year old twins) now.
I loved my dogs, and yes - they were part of the family.
But they are nothing close to your own genetic offspring.

I basically agree but only minor quibble is with 'genetic offspring'. I have a son via adoption, who I love more than anything. And I've had pets who I love. But the pets don't even come close to my son.

trampdog

Ugh, I’m already booked for POR for September 2018. My dog phobic self is currently hyper-ventilating.

There's a dog in front of every Disney park every day sniffing for explosives. Sometimes they are even walking around the parks. Has that every bothered you?

Children are human beings. Dogs are animals.

I'll take a dog over screaming obnoxious born to millennial parents rugrats any day. Last week I was woken at 5:30 AM everyday at AKL by screaming uncontrolled so-called humans.

This is not a big deal people. At $50 a night, there won't be many takers.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Why do so many people assume that all dogs are that bad.
The comment was regarding dog owners being responsible about picking up and disposing of "presents", not the dogs. Even the best-behaved, well-trained dog has to do their business somewhere. Nature calls. :)
Last month I was at aoa and 4 days in a row the pool was shut down for kids leaving “presents” floating because their parents ignored the swim diaper rule.
That's irresponsible parenting, much like irresponsible dog owners. Good analogy.
To some of us our pets are our children and sometimes aren’t able to use our normal sitter. It won’t be the end of the world
I can't argue about how important your pet is to you. :cat:

Incomudro

There's a dog in front of every Disney park every day sniffing for explosives. Sometimes they are even walking around the parks. Has that every bothered you?

I'll take a dog over screaming obnoxious born to millennial parents rugrats any day. Last week I was woken at 5:30 AM everyday at AKL by screaming uncontrolled so-called humans.

This is not a big deal people. At $50 a night, there won't be many takers.

You picked two really bad examples.
That dog sniffing for explosives is highly trained and in the hands of a highly trained expert.

As for your second example, the possible addition of dogs doesn't make the kids go away.
The dogs don't replace the kids, they are simply added to them.

Last edited:

DisneyFreak

I don't see an issue with this at all and I think that there will be a minimal impact on other guests. That being said I don't think I would take advantage of this. It would be easy enough to bring my dogs since we only live about a 2.5 hour drive away. When I go to Disney I'm spending so much already for the resort, passes, food, etc., I would rather have the piece of mind that my dogs are at their regular pet resort at home getting their play time and fed at normal times that I wouldn't be able to do while in the parks. Plus the last thing I would want to do after a full day at the park is come back to the room and have to walk the dogs.

This is also just a trial run so it may not last.

spacemt354

Chili's
No. Dogs are not part of the family. They're pets. They're tools. They're food (for some people worldwide). They are not human babies you made through human sexual reproduction.

The "part of the family" argument is simply an argument of emotionality. And emotionality is not a sufficient reason to make policy. If it was, then people will make the arguments: "But my cat/ferret/boa/squirrel/monkey/skunk/pony/racoon is part of the family!!" They're not. They're animals.

The argument boils down to "I get to do this because I wanna, despite it inconveniencing or harming other people's comfort, physical health, or property." That's inexcusable.

Training? You mean the dog being trained? If that's what you're saying, then where did you get that? I don't see any requirement that they're trained. The WDWMagic articles says they must be "well behaved." How do you ensure that before the dog checks in? This is a set-up for failure in that there will be poorly-behaved dogs and then Disney staff has to go through the painful-for-everyone process of kicking out that family with their dog.

How is Disney going to make sure that only trained dogs check in? A certificate from a dog training school?
In part 1, you're arguing semantics. If you want the 'emotionally' driven 'family' narrative out, despite a factual basis behind it -- pets are living, breathing responsibilities to the family. You're overrating to a policy that has not been implemented yet, and one that is and has been prevalent at hotels around the world. Allowing pets at hotels isn't something new.

In part 2, again an overreaction. You're buying into the common myth that pets are inherently poor behaved. Can't change your opinion and not going to debate with someone who has already made up their mind.

trampdog

You picked two really bad examples.
That dog sniffing or explosives is highly trained and in the hands of a highly trained expert.

As for you second example, the possible addition of dogs doesn't make the kids go away.
The dogs don't replace the kids, they are simply added to them.

Number 1, its still a dog and how do you know I am not a highly trained export for my dog?
Number 2, judging from what I'm reading in this post, they will. :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And this is different how from screaming/running children in the common areas and hallways all hours of the night ?

Humans are animals, just saying.

Why do so many people assume that all dogs are that bad. Last month I was at aoa and 4 days in a row the pool was shut down for kids leaving “presents” floating because their parents ignored the swim diaper rule. Kids are just as messy and loud and discourteous to others as most dogs. To some of us our pets are our children and sometimes aren’t able to use our normal sitter. It won’t be the end of the world

1. Disney made the parks for human families, especially those with children. It's their business model to cater to families with children. No one expects a child-free environment. And human beings have evolved to mostly tolerate human offspring. No one has an allergy to children (yes, I'm sure there's a few people somewhere who have a freak allergic reaction to people, I'm sure you all get the point).

2. Humans can behave badly, yes, and can ruin other people's experience. But I've never had a human bite break skin. I've never had a strange human child lunge at me threatening serious physical harm. Children don't get left in hotel rooms to bark or whimper all day. I don't need to get tetanus shots because of humans. The feces of children generally goes in toilets and diapers. The feces of dogs generally always winds up on the ground.

I wouldn't mind a dog resort if it was sufficiently walled/fended off from the other areas of the resort and WDW could guarantee I wouldn't be staying in the same complex where there are dogs or where a non-working dog was in the room before me. But to put the general non-dog population in the same wing/complex as the dog population... that's really, really stupid.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe this is why they put laminate floors in the rooms at the yacht club, a bit of foreshadowing?
It's all starting to make sense now and implies this has been in the works for a while.

IMG_8674-L.jpg

So, what would be worse? A dog barking in that room all the time? Or the non-stop:

<tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap><tap>

?

spacemt354

Chili's
So what's next? Taking dogs on "it's a small world"?
Love how people cut out parts of my post as if they represent the entire post.

If you cared to read further down - I'm cautiously mixed -- due to Disney seemingly responding in a knee-jerk fashion to this. That - and I think there is an overestimation of how many people will actually be using this. A bit to early to jump to conclusions.

trampdog

There is a difference between a dog that is trained and just a random dog that makes a person unsure. Some dogs make some people nervous.

First, that's not what she said when I replied. Second, this is about dogs in a hotel room. Nothing in the press release talks about park access. The dog is in a room, then goes outside on a leash, and then back to a room. I could walk my dog around ANY of the resorts right now. No rules against that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom