Trip Report 4 Parks, 3 Days. Am I Wakko?

Last week I visited Orlando for 3 days, staying for the first time at Disney'sCaribbean Beach Resort and visited 4 theme parks in total (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Islands of Adventure). It was an attempt to make up for the fact that I had to cancel in September due to Hurricane Irma, while still doing the things I wanted to most in the area.

But did this card carrying member of the Disney DOOM & GLOOMers find the magic he was looking for?

Or was my heart just 3 sizes too small?

tumblr_inline_mxywiyNRd41s6gli3.png

Stay tuned to find out! ;)

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Last time I went to WDW I stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, so this time I wanted to try another Moderate. Caribbean Beach had the best rates for the dates I was looking at, but I was concerned about two things 1) the construction & 2) the bus situation. I ended up in a Pirate room in South Trinidad, the farthest from Custom House, but as it turns out that was a good thing. The Pirate rooms are bigger than I thought they would be (with the largest TV I've ever seen in a Disney room), and have more detail than could be seen in online photos. I liked them quite a lot, and I'm not crazy about the Princess rooms at Riverside, because they try to mix several character designs in one room. Plus pirates at the Caribbean hotel makes more sense. I never heard any construction noise and both the internal bus and park buses ran pretty frequently. I also appreciated the wait time displays a each stop, which is not something the Disney resorts had 4 years ago. I can't comment on the current food situation, as I never ate at the hotel, or got around to visiting any of the pools. The front desk did their best to explain the situation at check-in, and describe what options I had for resort services and where to get something to eat.

I would stay here again, especially after they finish renovating Old Port Royale and add the gondola station. As compenstion for the construction, I got a set of 3 pins with Minnie, Donald and Goofy. I'm not really into pin collecting, but they look nice.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Epcot was park #1 and I'm glad I had made advance FP+ reservations as I would have been stuck in line for my first ride for an hour. It was Frozen Ever After and while I think the attraction has about as much to do with Epcot as Star Wars or Toy Story, I did like it. I got to sit in the front row and nobody took any flash photos (yay!). It was a good first experience for the ride. After that I got some rice cream which is my favourite dessert at Epcot.

Next up before lunch was Gran Fiesta Tour. I'm glad they brought back those AAs from the Mickey Mouse Reveue because the rest of the ride is pretty dull now. Floating past a bunch of movie screens isn't that exciting.

Lunch was at Garden Grill for the first time. There was more food than I coud possibly eat, and all four characters came around twice to visit everyone. Rotating past fake canyons and rainforest trees is kind of kitsch, but that's what I like about much of WDW. What surprised me the most was that the second floor room in the farmhouse was a fully furnished space you could only see from the restaurant. It's that kind of attention to detail that makes WDW special IMO. I wouldn't rush to eat here again, but I think an 8:00am breakfast reservation would be convenient.

I didn't have time for either Test Track or Soarin' before dinner, but I was able to ride Spaceship Earth and the new Earth Mission: Space. Green was rougher than I remembered, but the experience was an improvement in terms of graphics and it's cool to actualy two different rides to choose from now (instead of just tame and not tame).

Dinner was at California Grill, but I was so stuffed from the late lunch, I didn't eat much food. Still, the service was excellent and it was so nice to see the new MK fireworks from the outdoor balcony and not have anyone's phone or ipad blocking the view. You couldn't see the projections, but all the pyro was there and the music was clear since I stood in front of one of the speakers. I liked it better than Wishes, but I think that show had become stale several years ago.

Having been up since 2:30am that morning to catch my flight to Orlando, I was more than ready for bed by 9:30pm, but it was wonderful to escape from the cold of winter and spend the afternoon in the Florida sun.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Park #2, Islands of Adventure.

After breakfast at 'Ohana, which was the perfect way to start the day, I took a cab from Poly to Royal Pacific and walked in from there. I was through the gates by 9:20am, and managed to get on Hulk before the crowds came. Regarding Hulk, I couldn't tell what was different since before the refurb, but they are very serious about not having anyone take anything on the ride. You go through a metal detector now, and so you have to use the free lockers next door.

Next up was Spider-Man and Skull Island, which I was so looking forward too...until I got stuck inside. We waited in the truck for about 20 minutes before the team members came with a rolling metal staircase to get us off and walk us through the ride. Kind of cool, but I really wanted to actually go through the whole ride first. Thankfully, they gave everyone express passes to see it later in the day. I liked it a lot, and did get scared by one of the live actors they had in the queue, lol.

Jurassic Park river ride was closed for its refurb, so I went straight to Potter. Used single rider to get on quickly, but the locker situation for that ride was chaos. Tons of people crammed in a tight space and no orderly lines to get your belongings. They need more team members in there to keep things under controll.

All four rides in Seuss Landing had short waits (I was the only one in the queue for Cat in the Hat, lol), so that was great. I think this is the most underrated area in any Orlando theme park.

Both the 12pm and 2pm shows for Sinbad were cancelled, but the cast was out for photo ops. Poseidon had unusually long waits posted, but the reality was that they were not that long. This is an attraction where the sum is less than its parts, but it's still pretty unique.

I had lunch at Three Broomsticks, but I was so stuffed from breakfast, I didn't eat as much as I normally did. I would recommend the ribs.

After one more ride on Spider-Man I decided to leave around 2:30pm. I had done most everything I wanted to and wasn't interested in waiting 40 minutes to go on the log ride.

Before heading to Hollywood Studios, I tried Toothsome since I had never been there before. I couldn't make up my mind on what to get so I had 1/2 of two different desserts (beacuse, why not?). I would absolutely come here again, since it's right next door to the IoA main entrance.

I would also recommend to anyone visiting Universal for the day to rent one of the lockers outside the park. They're just $10 (no other fees) and a good enough size to store any larger bags or sundries you might need for the day.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Park #3, Hollywood Studios.

Obviously I didn't have too much time to visit here as I spent most of the day at IoA, but thanks again to good pre-planning on my part I was able to see most of what I wanted to here.

First up was ToT (which was having technical issues, but not closed entirely) and the CMs here are always the best at WDW. I wish I knew the name of the person who loaded our elevator because the way he turned to everyone and said:

"Oh and one more thing, I beg of you, please don't ever... [elevator door closes]"

was classic. The bellhops here are funnier than anyone you'll meet at one of the character meals.

Next was Midway Mania and I thought for sure I'd be stuck in line forever, even with FP+ because of how long it was, but it moved pretty quickly. The more I ride the better I get, but I'm still only a little more than half-way up the rankings at best.

Dinner was at Brown Derby and I always feel a little guilty if I don't wear something fancier to eat here, but I came straight from IoA so I couldn't do more than change my shirt. Service and food was excellent, but again I didn't eat too much after my fill of mid-afternoon desserts. At both this place and CG, it would have been a waste of 2 dining credits if I were on the plan.

After dinner was Disney Movie Magic and the Star Wars fireworks. The latter was comparable to a show I saw last year at DLP (but still good), but the real surprise for me was the pre-show. As soon as they started playing the Overture to The Black Hole, I knew this wasn't going to be the typical Disney nighttime show. Disney live-action movies are so rarely represented in the parks that to see everything from Tron to The Rocketeer front and centre on the Chinese Theater was a great thrill for me.

I got lucky with the bus coming back to CBR as it was waiting at the stop when I got there. I think this park is the closest as it only takes about 10-15 minutes to get back to your room.

winstongator

Last week I visited Orlando for 3 days, staying for the first time at Disney'sCaribbean Beach Resort and visited 4 theme parks in total (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Islands of Adventure). It was an attempt to make up for the fact that I had to cancel in September due to Hurricane Irma, while still doing the things I wanted to most in the area.

But did this card carrying member of the Disney DOOM & GLOOMers find the magic he was looking for?

Or was my heart just 3 sizes too small?

tumblr_inline_mxywiyNRd41s6gli3.png

Stay tuned to find out! ;)
I've done 2 parks in a day...while driving down and back that same day. 4 in 3 days seems normal for me. Shoot, we just did 3 in 2 days this past weekend!

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Park #4 Magic Kingdom.

Good thing I got here early! Even at 7:15am, there was a crowd building up for breakfast reservations. Still, with my long legs and knowledge of the park layout I managed to be the first to check in at CRT and among the first to be seated.

This was my first time trying the character breakfast here since the restaurant was called King Stefan's Banquet Hall. The last two times were lunch in 2005 (when it was just a lunch, and nothing else) and the Villain's Soiree in 2014 (the one and only year they ever did it). I had read numerous bad reviews of late about how rushed the experience was, about the bad food, etc and my meal here was the total opposite. First, I got a window seat, so it was cool to look over Fantasyland despite the morning fog obscuring some of the view. Then the food came out and it was not at all poor tasting and cooked exactly the way I wanted (probably because I was, again, among the first to order any). Then the characters came around and they gave me both a wand and a sword (which I thought were just for little kids, but I guess they figured I wanted to play the role of "fairy knight" too, lol) and at no point did I ever feel ignored or dismissed when it came to either drinks or photos. My server was a pro who had been working there since the King Stefan days and we talked about that too and she always knew when to top off my orange juice and check back on me without myself having to ask. You couldn't ask for better service. I also splurged on the white chocolate glass slipper dessert (extra $), and it was worth it too. This was easily the best meal of my trip and lived up to any expectation I might have had. This restaurant and The Haunted Mansion are my favourite things about Florida's Magic Kingdom when compared to DLR or DLP and knowing that it's still "magical" all these years later, I will be coming back for sure.

After breakfast the park filled up with crowds pretty quickly. So much so, that I was not able to do every attraction I wanted. I did manage to see:

Pirates of the Caribbean (x2), Mickey's PhilharMagic, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Room, The Haunted Mansion (x2), Splash Mountain (FP+) and Big Thunder Mountain (FP+)

So it wasn't a total bust. My frustrations with the behaviour of some guests have been expressed in other threads, so I'll stick to the positives here. Most amusing to me was that 45+ years later those Bears still get a laugh and often times on these things it's the adults that have more fun than the kids. My Pirates boat the second time was all adult riders too. I'm not sure if kids are really into MK the way I was, but at least there's still an audience that likes the older style Disney entertainment. CoP also has more charm in one act than all of Universal Studios Florida combined.

Trying to get lunch was a disaster, though. Even after 1:30pm it was long lines everywhere (even for mobile order pick-up) and no TS locations were accepting walk ins. As a last minute resort I made a reservation for Tonys on the MDE app, not really thinking it was the best choice for either food or money. I could not have been more wrong.

I had to wait until 2:30pm to be seated, but it was outside on the patio and that was a big deal to me as someone who would have to go fly back to ice and snow that night. I didn't order much, but my server deliberately took her time so that I could watch the parade from my seat, which I wasn't expecting at all, but completely made the meal all the more memorable. I also know people are really not big on the food here, but I found it better than average, and I was just happy to finally sit down, get some lunch and enjoy the Disney sun and entertainment. Sadly I had to leave the park around 4pm to catch ME back to the airport, but it would have been hard to find a better way to end my short getaway to WDW.

Final thoughts in next post

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
What's cool is that the four parks include one from universal!! What made you decide to skip AK?

I tried unsuccessfully to get a FP+ for Flight of Passage 60 days out, and since it and Dinosaur were the only rides I really wanted to do there I thought IoA would be the better choice. Plus I'm not really interested in doing a Universal-centric trip soon, so this was the easiest way to do the things I wanted to most over there.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Final Thoughts:

- CM across the board were very good. They all treated me well and tried wherever they could to make my day a little better. Only once did I enocunter someone who was clearly ticked (not at me), and one who was kind of meh.

- You really need to pre-plan to get the most out of the parks. They're far to crowded to just show up and do whatever.

- I think they overbook FP+ reservations. Those lines were quite long, but they did seem to move pretty past. The second check point is what I think causes backups.

- There were many tour groups in the parks, but I was spared having to listen to any chanting or clapping. I consider myself lucky.

- Disney needs to make more M sized t-shirts. The only one I wanted was only available in XXL or XXXL and I looked in both MouseGear and the Emporium.

- They still had lots of Epcot 35th merchandise if anyone is interested. There's a stand between FW and WS will several t-shirts and stuff

- If you want to get a photo at the Raptor encounter thing at IoA you have to get there for the first set they do it. The line was long all day and barely moved. I got in at one point and then just gave up.

- ToT is a good place to get a view of the Star Wars and Toy Story Lands construction

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom