3D Missing from WDW in Google Earth

MarkTwain

I noticed it was getting a little bit dated... they may have taken it down while they update it (supposedly why the Disneyland Resort hasn't been uploaded yet). I know all of New Fantasyland was missing, there weren't models for Bay Lake Tower or Kidani Village, Universe of Energy still had the rainbow color scheme, and that stupid giant-a** hat was still there.

Oh wait. Maybe that last one was just me.

Did Knee

Original Poster
Yeah it was getting outdated. Like you said, No BLT or Kidani, they still had all the old fantasyland stuff (dumbo spinner still in its old spot for instance). I'd like to know who it is that does these models for them and get some assurance that everything will be put back at some point. Wandering through the 3D was my only way to visit the world lately :( Also, why delete ALL the models? I don't think changes were required for most of them.

J03Y

it'd be cool if Disney did on their homepage a 3D tour like Google Earth did for them of all their parks. almost like Street View mixed with 3D view to make it a more virtual experience, that'd change as more things were added or taken out. it'd be cool and a very useful tool in some cases.

Did Knee

Original Poster
My understanding was that Disney had posted all the 3D stuff themselves on Google Earth in the first place. My fear is that as part of their cost cutting, as much of the imagery was outdated, they just decided to yank it all rather than update it.

AintNoOtherMan

I noticed this too. Strangely enough, Sleepy Hollow is still there, along with Swan and Dolphin, ESPN Wide World of Sports, and Port Orleans. I guess I see why the S&D and WWoS are open, as they're not owned by Disney. But Sleepy Hollow and Port Orleans are still visible.

Yert3

It was outdated. Hopefully they're just updating it. I really like the feature to look at previous satellite photos. Here are a few:
Toon Town and 20,000 Leagues
ToonTownamp20000Leagues_zps00ecf716.png

World of Motion:
WorldofMotion_zpsf3f7af9d.png

Animal Kingdom before it was build:
AnimalKingdom_zps70f566ad.png

Before Everest:
BeforeEverest_zps7e7cc0eb.png

Pre California Adventure:
CaliforniaAdventure_zpsfd66ac5e.png

Alexis

I noticed that a few weeks ago. Because when I checked Universal and Islands they definitely had a street view all through the park

Did Knee

Original Poster
A new response on the Google Product Forums at https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/earth/HcTE-usdXGY/vzJKB0yxi_AJ

"The 3D imagery hasn't been updated in along time. Disney has been pulling all databases and programs displaying maps or 3D simulations of Walt Disney World (including their own). Now that New Fantasyland is officially open, all of these need to be updated. More than likely Disney is updating the 3D buildings to simulate what the parks truly look like today. Many cosmetic changes have been made to all of the parks and resorts of Walt Disney World since 2006, when the 3D imagery was released. It is worth the short non-existance for a more updated version of 3D Disney World. If you have ever tried to see disney in 3D on your smartphone, it doesn't work. There is a possibility they may also optimize it for the mobile apps. I doubt Disney would get rid of the 3D and not replace it with something. I hope they have Disney World running in 3D again soon!"

TikiLAB

Has anyone seen the new Google Earth 3D imagery in the last couple of days? From looking at it, I now know why Disney removed the old 3D models. The new imagery is just like Apple Maps... a continuous 3d bump map with semi-detailed buildings, trees, hills and valleys, etc. The old models wouldn't have merged with the new maps. Unfortunately they are much, much less detailed than the 3d models. :(

I saw all this a couple of nights ago, and it seemed very widespread. Both Disneyland And Disney World had the new bump maps, and my hometown of Phoenix was also covered. But today I am looking for it and it seems to be missing. Everything is flat except for a few of the old 3d models. Anyone know what's going on?

MarkTwain

A new response on the Google Product Forums at https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/earth/HcTE-usdXGY/vzJKB0yxi_AJ

"The 3D imagery hasn't been updated in along time. Disney has been pulling all databases and programs displaying maps or 3D simulations of Walt Disney World (including their own). Now that New Fantasyland is officially open, all of these need to be updated. More than likely Disney is updating the 3D buildings to simulate what the parks truly look like today. Many cosmetic changes have been made to all of the parks and resorts of Walt Disney World since 2006, when the 3D imagery was released. It is worth the short non-existance for a more updated version of 3D Disney World. If you have ever tried to see disney in 3D on your smartphone, it doesn't work. There is a possibility they may also optimize it for the mobile apps. I doubt Disney would get rid of the 3D and not replace it with something. I hope they have Disney World running in 3D again soon!"

Sounds like Google doesn't know Disney the way we do. ;)

Also, curiously.... Disneyland now has 3D models, and the quality is terrible. Nothing like the old WDW models. I wonder if this is permanent.

EDIT: Looks like I was beat to the punch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom