3D glasses with regular glasses

BenS

Original Poster
As some of you know, I recently was diagnosed with astigmatism and got my first pair of eyeglasses. I was just wondering how the glasses that they use at 3D shows work with normal eyeglasses. Do they go over them or should I start looking into LASIK? :lol:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I wear glasses :)mad: looking into contacts though, but not yet old enough for LASIK surgery!) and the 3D glasses fit perfectly over my eyeglasses. You'll be fine. :)

BenS

Original Poster
That's good news, I was worried I'd have to either watch it as a blur (not to mention the headaches I tend to get) or in 2D.

(guess which one of those two I'd choose ;))

Raven66

my husband wears glasses and he just put the 3D glasses right over the others. He didn't complain so I guess it worked.

Good luck!!:)

Sir Hiss527

You have to be at least 18 to have LASIK..I have recently, very recently just got contacts, but I wore glasses (bifocals) and they slipped right on.

I love having contacts, I look so different...:p

DCL

I have to wear glasses as well, but I have a problem wearing the 3-D glasses over my regular glasses. Maybe it's just because the lenses on my glasses are smaller than those on the 3-D ones, so most of the stuff i see is clear, and then it's blurry around the edges.... it's like my own dream sequence!

chucknstuff

They make great sunglasses if you can get them out of the attraction....until another CM takes them from you at another ride/show

BenS

Original Poster
Originally posted by chucknstuff
They make great sunglasses if you can get them out of the attraction....until another CM takes them from you at another ride/show
I take it you've tried this? :p

Disney2002

Originally posted by chucknstuff

How would that work. It's a sheet of polarized plastic. You'd have to be perfectly aligned to the rays of the sun for any effect, and even then only one lens would work because the two are offset in order to generate the 3d effect in the films!

se8472

Originally posted by BenS
I take it you've tried this? :p

and I would be the one to do this :lol:

The thing is most guest don't know that these 3D glasses are designed to create more light...thus when you put them on outside you can burn your eyes out from the sun. That is why we take them from you...to protect you from yourself! :lol:

Disney2002

Originally posted by se8472
and I would be the one to do this :lol:

The thing is most guest don't know that these 3D glasses are designed to create more light...thus when you put them on outside you can burn your eyes out from the sun. That is why we take them from you...to protect you from yourself! :lol:

They can't create more light... defies physics. They can, however, filter it in a specific manner.

BenS

Original Poster
Also using the lenses outside of the theater wouldn't be very fun. A basic way to explain how they work is they make it as if your eyes are crossed (so the two images merge together). For that reason your eyes would be strained if you used them outside of the theater, which could result in some headaches. Not to mention your depth perception would be screwed up.

TimeTrip

Thats not really how they work. They don't make it seem as if you're cross-eyed. Because of the polarization of the lenses, each eye sees a different projected image which matches the polarization of the lenses. I can't really see how it would screw up your depth perception if using it outside of the theater. Having different polarization might indeed cause eye-strain after a while though.

Disney2002

The best way to learn about polarized lenses and light is to play with them. I'm not saying do this, but you could....

In essence, the polarizes lenses are actually just normal plastic sheets with hundreds of tiny lines drawn in. The line are areas through which light cannot pass. The space between lines allows for the passing of light... but because of the numerouse light-blocking lines... only rays of light coming at a certain angle will pass through.

Light from different sources comes at all sorts of angles. The light from the sun, for instance, is relatively parallel because the source is so far away (which allows for crisp shadows on a sunny day. Light from a lamp at home gives of very scatter rays of light (causing the soft look).

The polarized lense make all light maximally parallel. Now, if you were to rip off a pair of disney 3d glasses and rip out the lenses, you could do the following. Place on lens in front of the other. Spin one lense slowly in front of the other. At one magical point, the lenses will look completely black. They will almost look opaque. This is because you are completely blocking out all light. One lens has cut the light so that rays from one direction can pass... and then the second lens cuts all of those rays.

It's really cool to see/play with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom