3D attractions for toddlers

DisneyDayDreamin

Original Poster
I am new to posting on these forums but hopefully, I can get some advice. We are going to Disney in December with 3 families. For most, this will be their first trip. We will have two children in our party. One will be 18 months and one will be 8 years old. For attractions that have 3D glasses (Muppets, Philharmagic...etc) would they still be enjoyable for an 18-month-old if he can't keep the glasses on? This is the first time I have been to Disney with kids so this is a whole new world for me :)

dreamfinder

I can't recall if it was at 14 months or closer to 24 months when we first did this with our DS, but he enjoyed it a fair amount. Pretty sure he pulled the glasses off and just looked around for part of it, but he stayed pretty still.

Spash007

I'm sorry if this isn't helpful, but it really is going to depend on the kid and the ride. We took our almost 3 year old to Philharmagic, and the combination of dark and loud noises did her in and she was a crying mess throughout. I think if the glasses made more sense to her maybe it would have helped, but I don't know. To try to give some helpful advice, I'd recommend just making sure you try to sit near an aisle. With numerous kids going you'll probably have some that do enjoy it, and some that don't so I think it's worth a try.

danheaton

We had no issues with our daughters when they were just a little bit older (21 and 22 months, respectively), but like others have said, it totally depends on the child. It's Tough to Be a Bug may be pushing it due to the in-theater effects. Philharmagic is likely fine, and the Muppets isn't so bad. Maybe start with Philharmagic if it works out for your schedule and then go from there.

CaptainAmerica

Avoid Carousel of Progress! I can't emphasize that enough. I know you asked about 3D shows, but the 3D shows have no risk. Worst case scenario is that the child hates it and you sneak out the exit and wait for your family for ten minutes. On Carousel of Progress, you're trapped. Because the theater moves and it's technically a "ride," you can't get up and leave. If your child has a meltdown, you're trapped and totally embarrassed for the duration of the show.

aliceismad

They might be good places for the little one to nap, if they can nap during noise. Our kiddo slept through the Lion King show at AK when she was 20 months. Of course she didn't nap at all during the "quiet nap time" I set aside for her during the day. (She also fell asleep on daddy's shoulder in line for the Ariel ride at MK and slept through the whole ride.)

DisneyDayDreamin

Original Poster
I'm sorry if this isn't helpful, but it really is going to depend on the kid and the ride. We took our almost 3 year old to Philharmagic, and the combination of dark and loud noises did her in and she was a crying mess throughout. I think if the glasses made more sense to her maybe it would have helped, but I don't know. To try to give some helpful advice, I'd recommend just making sure you try to sit near an aisle. With numerous kids going you'll probably have some that do enjoy it, and some that don't so I think it's worth a try.

This is helpful! I don't have kids so I have no frame of reference for what to expect and I am doing all of the planning so just hearing different perspectives helps!

Spash007

This is helpful! I don't have kids so I have no frame of reference for what to expect and I am doing all of the planning so just hearing different perspectives helps!

One more general planning piece of advice for kids, that I wish I would've known the first time traveling with our daughter, is to space experiences out, so that if something goes badly, you can then adjust plans or see if it changes over time. We front loaded our plan with meet and greets, which went pretty poorly at first, but about halfway through, she started doing ok. I wish we saved more of them for later, so that she could have enjoyed it more. In terms of 3D attractions, you never know if someone who hates the first one might just be overwhelmed in general, and by the end like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom