31 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

Animaniac93-98

Yes, it's a brave new world indeed...

Making the park an amorphous blob of DISNEY™ certainly makes it less appealing to me than when the park was actually about Hollywood at large and included actual film/TV production (even just animation), education and history.

If Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story can go in any park, there's not much point in having them there other than the convenience of space.

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
As far as the original version of the Studios park, I liked the behind the scenes theme but I did not care for the look of the execution of it. Too boxy, too warehouse, too bland. For all it's shortcomings the recent additions feel more themed and beautiful to look at. Part of my draw to Disney theme parks.

UNCgolf

As far as the original version of the Studios park, I liked the behind the scenes theme but I did not care for the look of the execution of it. Too boxy, too warehouse, too bland. For all it's shortcomings the recent additions feel more themed and beautiful to look at. Part of my draw to Disney theme parks.

I can certainly understand not liking the look, but it's completely on point for the theme. That's what it looks like when you visit any studio in Los Angeles; there are a lot of huge boxy warehouses because that's what sound stages look like. I'm not sure it was even an option considering they were actually using the park to film shows, so I imagine some of those buildings were functioning sound stages.

Animaniac93-98

Star Wars and Toy Story are pretty in isolation, but there's no visual or thematic reason for them to be physically linked together beyond both being "Disney".

At least the original park had the unifying design of old Hollywood that was carried through all proposals (built or not). The biggest mistake visually was just opening more of the "studio" portion without altering its design to look good from more than one angle.

UNCgolf

Star Wars and Toy Story are pretty in isolation, but there's no visual or thematic reason for them to be physically linked together beyond both being "Disney".

At least the original park had the unifying design of 1940s Hollywood that was carried through all proposals (built or not). The biggest mistake visually was just opening more of the "studio" portion without altering its design to look good from more than one angle.

I actually think Toy Story Land doesn't look good at all, but that's beside the point. This is why I was very opposed to a discussion of retheming the Sunset Ranch Market to Pixar (I don't think that was anything Disney actually planned; people were just pushing it here). I think a lot of people don't realize that all of those areas in DHS are modeled after real places in and around Los Angeles. The Sunset Ranch Market is the Original Farmer's Market. It's not something Disney just made up from scratch. I know the theme has been heavily diluted, but for the moment at least, the things that significantly break theme are relatively hidden in the back of the park in their own separate areas. There's no need to start tearing up the stuff that is still on theme and changing it to something else.

Lilofan

I missed when MGM had real NYE nights ending at 3am. Multiple musical acts going on at once 23 years ago and more. One year was a DJ in front of GMR , Cheap Trick at NY Street Osborne Christmas lights, Big Band orchestra at Doug Live theatre, Boy Band LFO at Sunset Blvd, Live music at Indiana Jones theatre, NYE fireworks all in one night on NYE. And the park re-opened at 7am.

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster

At least the original park had the unifying design of old Hollywood that was carried through all proposals (built or not). The biggest mistake visually was just opening more of the "studio" portion without altering its design to look good from more than one angle.
Good point!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom