30th Birthday Celebration Pre-Trip Report

Ya'll might remember me from my first TR: March 2009 or one of my numerous threads about being jobless during the recession. It has been a rough road these past 2 years but I am glad to say I am returning to WDW (AKL Savannah View) September 19th - 25th with my wonderful boyfriend of 4 years. We have a lot to celebrate!

Cast of Characters

Me :wave: My name is Shelley and we are planning to celebrate my 30th birthday which is September 21st!

dcp_0700.jpg

My wonderful boyfriend Jason - we will be returning for his 30th birthday in 2 years. Yep. I'm robbing the cradle a bit! If I were older, people would call me a cougar. Jason would be a manther.

dcp_0656.jpg

What will we celebrate?

It's more like what won't we celebrate! Like I said earlier, it has been a rough road for us these past 2 years. I lost my job in October 2008 which made us have to cancel a Christmas trip we had planned for that year. The trip we took in 2009 was a present from my awesome Mother who knew we needed it. That trip completely changed our lives forever and I am sure I would not be where I am now without that trip.

After our 2009 trip, I had renewed confidence in myself. I am a web developer and the technology industry in general has been very difficult since I graduated from college in 2002. I have been laid off a total of 4 times. During the last lay off I decided to read a bunch of books to bring my skills up to date. That was the best idea I ever had! After a string of horrible freelance jobs, I finally landed the job I wanted in July 2009 and I am celebrating one year with the company next week. :sohappy:

So what will we celebrate?

1. My 30th Birthday (of course) 9/21/2010
2. In life, there are good times and bad. Having bad times can turn out to be a good thing because it makes you cherish the good times that much more.
3. My weight loss (25 lbs so far!)
4. Last but not least, the most important thing: our love for each other :hurl:

ADR's/Itinerary

This time around I am very excited to be on the Basic Dining Plan. Last trip we decided on the Quick Service Plan because my family has never been into making reservations and eating a table service meal during our trips. My childhood trips were usually very casual, no one made any plans or thought up an itinerary. We usually did whatever we felt like at the time. This is going to be my 16th trip to WDW (Jason's 3rd) and we are doing things VERY differently this time around.

Let me start off by giving some advice. Make your ADR's the full 180 days in advance if you can! We did ours 3 months ahead of time. I had my heart set on Chef Mickey's for breakfast on my birthday but it was sold out for the entire week! We did manage to get a character dinner there but it's just not the same. It blows my mind that any restaurant in WDW is booked 3 months out during value season! Recession resmesshion!

ADR's:

1. Day 1: 9/19/2010 - Chef Mickey's (Character Dinner)
2. Day 3: 9/21/2010 - Cap May Cafe (Character Breakfast)
3. Day 4: 9/22/2010 - Les Chefs de France (Dinner)
4. Day 5: 9/23/2010 - The Hollywood Brown Derby (Dinner)
We have 1 ADR left to make (since the Brown Derby is a signature dining experience and takes 2 meal tickets each), any suggestions? I would like to do either Artist Point or Yachtsman Steakhouse but those are also signature dining experiences. Would they let us pay half the bill and use 1 meal ticket each?

Special Events:

Just one: MNSSHP on my birthday :ROFLOL:

iPhone Apps

Besides table service meals, I am very excited for this trip because Jason and I got iPhones for Christmas. I have mine loaded up with a bunch of awesome Apps for our trip:

TripIt - Travel Itinerary Organizer
WDW Guide - Notescast
WDW Maps
WDW Dining
WDW Wait Times
WDW Secrets Gold - Notescast
What 2 Ride :)
WDW Park Hours

Other fun Miscellaneous Disney apps I found:
Disney Facts
WDW Radio (my favorite! I've been listening to a podcast every morning on my way to work)
Disney
Radio Disney
Digicomics
Big Day Lite (for the countdown)

dcp_0647.jpg

We are SO excited that our troubles are over and it has been smooth sailing so far in 2010. I cannot wait to get back to the AKL, I stayed there in 2002 and I just know Jason will love it. He really loves animals!

79 Days and counting! :sohappy:

Fashionista007

Original Poster
I'm excited for you!!

Thank you! As you can tell, we are totally excited. On a side note, I love your avatar pic :) One of my favorite memories was walking into the MK the day after Thanksgiving and seeing all the Christmas decorations. I had to choke back tears. It's amazing how quickly they put up all the decorations. We had been in the MK until the wee hours of the morning and then back very early the next morning to find all the decorations! I did not expect it.

harveyt0206

Congrats on ALL the great things you have to celebrate. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. AKL is so beautiful. Can't wait to read the post trip report.

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Congrats on ALL the great things you have to celebrate. Sounds like you are going to have a great time. AKL is so beautiful. Can't wait to read the post trip report.

Thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to MNSSHP the most. I haven't been since 2003 and Jason has never been. I'm sure our silliest pictures will come from that :)

Fashionista007

Original Poster
It's finally here! We leave on Sunday and couldn't be more excited. We have had a HORRIBLE month! One of our cars died so we had to buy a new one this week, someone rifled through our unlocked car in our driveway the other night and stole a sweatshirt, and there has been tons of work drama for me. It has not been very magical. I can't wait to leave all my cares behind and celebrate my 30th birthday in the Happiest Place on Earth!

We ended up selecting Sanaa as our last ADR since we're staying at AKL. I'm pretty excited because I've heard such good things. :sohappy:

I am also celebrating the fact that I stuck to my diet and ended up losing a whopping 40 lbs! I'm looking forward to ditching the diet for a week :)

DSCN0015.jpg

_Scar

Congrats about your trip and weight loss! Work hard, play hard. This sounds like such an awesome trip you've planned!

I'm in the midst of planning our family's and had a question

Are the apps worth it and are they free?

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Congrats about your trip and weight loss! Work hard, play hard. This sounds like such an awesome trip you've planned!

I'm in the midst of planning our family's and had a question

Are the apps worth it and are they free?

Thank you! I'll have a full report about the iPhone apps when I post my TR. I think about half were free and I know I have way more than I need. I got a $25 gift certificate for iTunes last year and I basically typed "WDW" in the app store and just bought everything! I'm pretty sure the Undercover Tourist app will be my favorite. It's an all-in-one app that has wait times, maps, dining info including full menus and prices, itinerary, etc. It was also the most expensive - you have to be a member at touringplans.com + pay for the app. Overall I think it cost me about $19 ($10.95 yearly subscription + $7.99 for the app).

Fashionista007

Original Poster
Sooo jealous that you leave tomorrow!
Wishing you a great time and lots of great food.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited I couldn't sleep. The car will be here in 3 hours to take us to the airport. :sohappy:

I'm interested to see the changes at Chef Mickey's tonight. I'm a bit disappointed that Mickey no longer comes around to the tables but you never know, it might actually be better.

_Scar

Thank you! I'll have a full report about the iPhone apps when I post my TR. I think about half were free and I know I have way more than I need. I got a $25 gift certificate for iTunes last year and I basically typed "WDW" in the app store and just bought everything! I'm pretty sure the Undercover Tourist app will be my favorite. It's an all-in-one app that has wait times, maps, dining info including full menus and prices, itinerary, etc. It was also the most expensive - you have to be a member at touringplans.com + pay for the app. Overall I think it cost me about $19 ($10.95 yearly subscription + $7.99 for the app).

Looks like I know what I'm getting if I find myself with an extra 20 bucks :drevil:

Looking forward to your TR! Have a fantastic time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom