30 Years of Fantasmic!: An Appreciation Thread

VJ

Original Poster
On May 13, 1992, night would fall over Disneyland and Walt's little slice of magic forever changed with the premiere of Fantasmic! - a true nighttime spectacular in the fullest, most apt sense of the word.

"Welcome to Fantasmic! Tonight, our friend and host Mickey Mouse uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination. For, in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy... or an exciting adventure! But beware: nothing is more powerful than the imagination, for it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare! Are the powers of Mickey's incredible imagination strong enough, and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickey's dream? You are about to find out, for we now invite you to join Mickey, and experience Fantasmic!... a journey beyond your wildest imagination."

Over the 23-and-a-half minutes that followed, I can only imagine the bewilderment and wonder that Disneyland guests must have felt watching the show for the very first time. I know when I first saw it as a kid, I was transfixed. The visuals, the music, the voice acting all came together in harmony for a once-in-a-lifetime feast for the senses you will only ever truly know when you feel the sprinkles of the mist screens and the burning heat of the fire during Mickey's epic showdown with the Disney villains, every action accompanied by Bruce Healey's unrivaled, powerful, and magical (I do not use that word lightly) score.

When Bill Rogers says you are about to witness the "thrilling spectacle of Fantasmic!" in the preshow announcement, he isn't kidding. Disneyland's Fantasmic! truly is a hallmark of Disney theme park entertainment and I will love it forever for the impact both the show and its soundtrack had on little 9-year-old me - the 1992 Fantasmic! CD was my very first Disney theme park album and it would lead to a lifetime appreciation and love for Disney music that still is very much present in me to this day. My favorite part of the show is the finale, featuring these lyrics beautifully written by Barnette Ricci:

"See it in your mind
And you will find, in your imagination
Mysteries and magic, visions fantastic
Leading to strange and wondrous dreams
Dreams, are make-believe
But could they all come true?

Ah
In your imagination
Ah
In your imagination

Here in your mind, it's magic you'll find

When out of the night, dark voices ignite
To blind you with frightening schemes
You use your might to brighten the light
Creating a night of wondrous dreams!"

I want to end this sort of textual tribute by showing you my favorite video of Fantasmic!, one that I think represents the show the best next to actually witnessing this thrilling spectacle with your own eyes.

Thank you for reading this and thank you to everyone who's been involved in the creation of Fantasmic!, from the show directors and composers to the lighting designers and performers.

Last edited:

VJ

Original Poster
The female narrator introducing the audience to Fantasmic never gets old! Does anybody know who did that?
Linda Gary, the voice actress that also plays Maleficent in the show!

Here's the rest of the voice cast:
Mickey Mouse - Wayne Allwine
Peter Pan - Christopher Steele
Captain Hook, Smee, Chernabog - Corey Burton
Evil Queen - Louise Chamis
Magic Mirror - Tony Jay
Ursula - Pat Carroll
Maleficent - Linda Gary

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Love the original version, with 'Murphy' replacing the original, original 'dragon head on a stick'.
Garner Holt & friends really outdid themselves there with that beauty.

Something was lost with the 'upgrade' to the Show a few years ago.....hard to put my finger on.
But it is still a 'must see' when at Disneyland.

One of the coolest things about it all is the fact that it all takes place in a setting most Guests has visited or explored themselves during the day.
Tom Sawyer Island, the River, NoS, etc.
It makes it all the more amazing to see it all take place in those same areas.....magically.
The same cannot be said for the East Coast variant, which takes place in a purpose built venue.
Some of that magical aspect is already lost before the Show even starts.

-

Emmanuel

Maybe not the entire original show but notice that they don’t mention the Pirates update from 2017. So that’s something to be happy about I guess. Sounds like you ll be getting some extra rides in the night of your trip?

Well not on the Parks Blog post but POTC is mentioned on the fact sheet and on the show page on the website:

From the show page on the DLR site
Screen Shot 2022-05-14 at 6.39.39 PM.png

SuddenStorm

Maybe not the entire original show but notice that they don’t mention the Pirates update from 2017. So that’s something to be happy about I guess. Sounds like you ll be getting some extra rides in the night of your trip?

Yeah, unless my group is like 'yo we gotta watch it.'. We have park hoppers also, so it looks like I'll be going to DCA for the first time since 2019 and I'll get to see Avenger's Campus.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
What a fantastic show, Disney at their biggest and best!! I'm only familiar with our version at DHS, but I hope to one day see the OG (well..sort of) somewhere other than YouTube!!
Happy 30th to the GOAT (bring Pan back).

1992 was a great year. Fantasmic! debuted. Aladdin was released. DLP opened. And my mother birthed a queen (me).😁 Feels good to be turning 30 with these classics.
I turned 30 last month! This is truly our year!! I hope this new decade brings much joy for you!!

SuddenStorm

The 2017 iteration of Fantasmic is offensively bad, and it's the perfect example of everything wrong with modern Disney. All flash, no substance and no understanding of why the original was beloved.

socalifornian

CMs are being prepped for Fantasmic in small groups around the river by managers, in front of guests. Between the pop-up control room and stage crew it felt like they might run one
E8AEC36C-D913-483D-BDDD-6A380D596568.jpeg81826DC2-14F0-4915-B33B-33DD3695D545.jpegCE64468C-38A5-4255-89F3-65749773849A.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom