3 Top Secret Projects Disney Is Developing That Will Change Theme Parks Forever

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Good article. Thanks for sharing. I had not heard or read of the details for the banshee ride for Pandora. Even if only half of what she says come to fruition, it should be pretty amazing. Fingers crossed.

Disney-Trains

"You will also only find Star Wars-themed foods and only Star Wars universe goods to buy in this part of the park." And....
"The whole time that you are in the Star Wars Land, you will not see into any other areas of the parks. They want to give you total immersion"

Umm.... Isn't that supposed to be how all the lands at disney are? Maybe we've been tricked all along. The Disney exec.'s do know those things matter... They just have to take it away from the the other lands so the new lands look better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
News or chit chat?

Or click bait?

Got to laugh at flying on a dragon.

How about plastic seats of a certain shape that you straddle from behind and ride pretty much like a bike position?

Sensationalist headline just regurgitating already posted rumours.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Good article and reiterates a lot about what we have been hearing about SWL. My only problem was this first header-Literally(really?)

"You will soon be able to literally ride a flying dragon at Animal Kingdom"

There has been a lot of discussion of that in the Avatar threads. I think it all originated from a statement Iger made when he tried out a prototype of the ride vehicle. I am not 100% convinced this will happen, but I hope it does because this is the type of innovation that I expect from Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"You will also only find Star Wars-themed foods and only Star Wars universe goods to buy in this part of the park." And....
"The whole time that you are in the Star Wars Land, you will not see into any other areas of the parks. They want to give you total immersion"

Umm.... Isn't that supposed to be how all the lands at disney are? Maybe we've been tricked all along. The Disney exec.'s do know those things matter... They just have to take it away from the the other lands so the new lands look better.

Disney lands do a good job at immersion, but it is often impractical to make the immersion 100%. Take Carsland for example. It's incredibly detailed and immersive, but you can still see the Tower of Terror from the land. On the other hand take a look at Diagon Alley at Universal (not trying to start a Uni vs Dis debate). By it's very nature, a tightly packed town with high buildings, it allowed them to completely block the site lines so you can't see out of the land. Based on the concept art, Star Wars land will probably do the same thing, high structures around the edge completely blocking any visual instruction from another land.

The process of loading/unloading vehicles is usually lengthy now. I work at a popular fast loading ride but have also worked slower dark rides in the parks. While the idea of getting out and walking around then returning to a ride vehicle sounds cool; I don't see the practicality of that working. Imagine a 90 wait to get on the ride, then get off....then another wait to finish the ride? Of just a really long wait time to get in initially while others complete the entire thing? Also, to do that you would need multiple load/unload areas that are staffed by numerous CM's. Until I see it i'll be highly doubtful and skeptical.

tl77

Everybody flying on a their own dragon sounds like the worst capacity ride ever, maybe they'll have a dragon in the queue you take pictures on like one Dumbo they have next to the circus tent

But the Star Wars "leaving the ride vehicle" sounds more like The Living Sea/Hydrolator/Sea Cab/Sea Base Alpha type experience, and is what I expected from a Star Wars Land because so much of those movies take place inside giant industrial structures like "Death Stars" ect... that it seems like the only way to provide an immersive "movie" experience is have it be indoors

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Everybody flying on a their own dragon sounds like the worst capacity ride ever, maybe they'll have a dragon in the queue you take pictures on like one Dumbo they have next to the circus ten
I expect something in between the carousel, Soarin', and Star Tours. On steroids.

Cowboy Steve

Disney lands do a good job at immersion, but it is often impractical to make the immersion 100%. Take Carsland for example. It's incredibly detailed and immersive, but you can still see the Tower of Terror from the land. On the other hand take a look at Diagon Alley at Universal (not trying to start a Uni vs Dis debate). By it's very nature, a tightly packed town with high buildings, it allowed them to completely block the site lines so you can't see out of the land. Based on the concept art, Star Wars land will probably do the same thing, high structures around the edge completely blocking any visual instruction from another land.

That is an excellent point - from outside the access points of both HP areas of Universal - much more so with Diagon Alley, you would have no idea what was beyond the entrance. And specially in Diagon Alley, once inside you have absolutely no exposure to anything outside that HP themed bubble. It was truly immersive and spectacular - and in the very spirit of the movies, as the wizard world is invisible to the 'real' world... I LOVED it! I loved that feeling of escape... and to be honest, it was almost like what your mind's eye sees when reading the book. I had those same feelings in my gut that I had when I read the books and the story was at Diagon Alley. Felt the same emotions and sense of wonderment. They even carried that sense of isolation over with the 'Hogwart's Express'. The nature of the ride prevents you from seeing anything they don't want you to see. I am looking forward to what Disney puts together for all three new lands, but specially Star Wars. I am a Star Wars nut...

For those of you that remember 'Star Trek: The Experience' in Las Vegas, it was a totally immersive experience that even had some limited interaction with live characters as part of the ride. First time I went through it, I was totally geeked out. It was an impressive bit of showmanship! I'm thinking we will be seeing something similar with SWL.

tl77

I expect something in between the carousel, Soarin', and Star Tours. On steroids.
I'm starting to wonder if the Star Tours ride vehicles will be re-purposed as a kind of "fictional shuttle craft" from the exterior alien planet that you see in all the concept art, to an interior show building themed to space station/Death Star type environment, like some thing in between the old Hydrolators or Disney's version of the Hog Wart's train at Uni... because you can't have a Star Wars Land that doesn't take people to outer space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom