3 hotels in 5 days - Crazy or Not?

Honus27

Original Poster
Hi everyone! My family is going to Disney World in October to celebrate my mom's retirement. We've been debating and arguing over where to stay. One idea is a split stay between Contemporary and Beach Club - 2 nights each. Also, my brother and I are flying down a day early to hopefully spend a day and a half at Universal. Wanting to save some money, I was thinking about staying at a value resort that night.

My brother, however, thinks it is insane to stay at 3 hotels in a span of 5 days, and that it will waste too much time. From what I've read online, it seems like a split stay is not inconvenient. What I'm thinking is:

1) my brother and I fly down, check in to All Star Sports or similar, uber to and from Universal.
2) The next day we bring our luggage to bell services early in the morning for transfer to Contemporary. We Uber to and from Universal and
meet our parents at the Contemporary that night where we can pick up our luggage at bell services there.
3) We can do the same thing when we transfer to Beach Club.

Is this feasible or is my brother right in thinking it is crazy? Also, for anyone who has gone to Disney and Universal in the same trip, do you think it's better to stay at Disney while going to Universal, or stay at a Universal hotel, or stay at an offsite hotel?

Thanks for any advice!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hi everyone! My family is going to Disney World in October to celebrate my mom's retirement. We've been debating and arguing over where to stay. One idea is a split stay between Contemporary and Beach Club - 2 nights each. Also, my brother and I are flying down a day early to hopefully spend a day and a half at Universal. Wanting to save some money, I was thinking about staying at a value resort that night.

My brother, however, thinks it is insane to stay at 3 hotels in a span of 5 days, and that it will waste too much time. From what I've read online, it seems like a split stay is not inconvenient. What I'm thinking is:

1) my brother and I fly down, check in to All Star Sports or similar, uber to and from Universal.
2) The next day we bring our luggage to bell services early in the morning for transfer to Contemporary. We Uber to and from Universal and
meet our parents at the Contemporary that night where we can pick up our luggage at bell services there.
3) We can do the same thing when we transfer to Beach Club.

Is this feasible or is my brother right in thinking it is crazy? Also, for anyone who has gone to Disney and Universal in the same trip, do you think it's better to stay at Disney while going to Universal, or stay at a Universal hotel, or stay at an offsite hotel?

Thanks for any advice!

Your brother is correct - you are crazy, lol.

Why the split stay? You really want to unpack/repack every two days? More importantly, what do your parents think, especially your mom? Will anyone have a car available? If not, you'll be taking Uber, taxi or Minnie van from one resort to another. Waste of time and money.

We've stayed at Uni and driven over to WDW for MNSSHP. I've stayed off site neat downtown Orlando and Ubered to both MK and AK. Each cost me $15-$25 one way.

Just know that I-4 is a complete mess with the construction, so it may take 25-30 minutes to get from WDW to Uni. And you will be dropped off near the parking garage.

Honus27

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! My thinking was that my bro and I wouldn't unpack fully the first night so we wouldn't have a lot of repacking to do. And staying at a value resort that first night could potentially save us hundreds of dollars I think.

My mom's OK with the split stay. We've never done it so we don't know what to expect. If it's convenient then we would do it, but if it would waste a lot of time or be a hassle we'd stay at one instead.

Weather_Lady

I wouldn't discourage it, if you pack light and won't have to do much unpacking and repacking. My family of four can do either in less than 10 minutes, but that's because we live out of packing cubes and luggage and don't spread our things around a room. I'd say go for it.

Dutch Inn '76

For me, part of the fun of going on vacation is "moving in" to my resort and getting to know the place. I can't do that if I never unpack, and spend zero time at the resort. But hey - each to their own.

The other thing here is that it sounds like your brother is not game for the musical chairs.

It depends. Earlier this year we stayed one night at POFQ and then three nights at Beach Club (couldn't get four in a row at beach club).

Personally, moving from one hotel to the next, having to wait for my room to be ready a second time, then having to unpack all over again really took a lot out of the vacation for me.

You can always go and see other resorts while you're there, if that's what you're looking for.

21stamps

If you’re doing one resort day at Beach Club and one at the Contemporary, then it make sense... if not, I’m with your brother.
I’d also say that the first day (3rd hotel) doesn’t make much sense. Just stay at Universal that night if you’re switching hotels the next day anyway.

BoarderPhreak

Yeah, I'd have to agree - that's too much. Two resorts, maybe.

If you want to save money, and really must - stay one night off-prop that's actually near Universal.

Myth Maker

I would recommend staying at the Drury Inn outside of Universal for the first day... quick in and out, plus free drinks and snacks in the evening and a breakfast buffet in the morning to get your strip started.. About a 5 minute drive from Universal.

Myth Maker

Also the walks to and from the rooms at disney are crazy... It is hard to imagine the distances. Checking in and out, especially at a value resort is no fun.

The Empress Lilly

In September I stayed on WDW property and Uber'ed the first two days to Uni.

All I did was sleep at my hotel. I could kick myself for not just taking a cheap dump next to UNI for those two days instead of wasting my money on a hotel and four Uber rides.

Dutch Inn '76

We just got through with a $even night stay at the Polynesian to celebrate my parents' 50th Anniversary (with the extended family). After that was decided and booked, my son's High School band announced that they were marching down Main Street U.S.A. during Spring Break. That'$ right - two trip$ to WDW in three month$. I really wish I could spread out my fun a little - but it is what it is. I'm not gonna miss this! The band is splitting its stay between WDW & Universal; so are we. We're staying at Caribbean Beach for two nights, then Universal's new Cabana Bay for three. This will be my first stay at Universal. We never would have done it at all if we hadn't JUST spent a week at the Polynesian...but I'm looking forward to the new experience!

21stamps

We just got through with a $even night stay at the Polynesian to celebrate my parents' 50th Anniversary (with the extended family). After that was decided and booked, my son's High School band announced that they were marching down Main Street U.S.A. during Spring Break. That'$ right - two trip$ to WDW in three month$. I really wish I could spread out my fun a little - but it is what it is. I'm not gonna miss this! The band is splitting its stay between WDW & Universal; so are we. We're staying at Caribbean Beach for two nights, then Universal's new Cabana Bay for three. This will be my first stay at Universal. We never would have done it at all if we hadn't JUST spent a week at the Polynesian...but I'm looking forward to the new experience!

Nice! Have a wonderful time!

Honus27

Original Poster
I like the idea of staying at an off-property hotel near Universal for the first night. We're going in mid October so hopefully won't need the Express Pass. If we did that, would the hotel keep our luggage after we checked out so that we could go to Universal the day we check out so we didn't have to go to Disney until night?

I see what you're saying about the hassle of unpacking and repacking for a 2-night stay at each hotel. Thanks for the advice!

slappy magoo

I"m not saying do it, but IF you do it, make one bag an "overnight bag," and everything you need for that 24 period comes from and goes in that bag.

Because we usually drive to WDW, we often wind up arriving a day early and booking something on site for just the night, even if planning a split stay during the rest of the trip. But we also make one of our bags an overnight bag for that purpose so we don't have to unpack too much.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I'd not add complexity and hassle to a vacation that will be extremely busy as it stands. Stick to one place and enjoy your time. I've done the split stay before, but only because we added a day to our vacation and that was our only option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom