Rumor 2nd Gate at Shanghai Disney Resort?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
There have been rumors swirling regarding a potiental 2nd theme park at Shanghai Disney Resort in China. The most recent of which pins an opening date between 2029 and 2031, as a "studios" type park. This park has not been announced yet, as it is 10 years from happening, however, the concept looks promising. As more information is revealed/leaked about this project, I will share more in this main page.

So far, here's what we (think we) know:
  • Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: A New, updated version of the land, featuring at least one new ride- perhaps the same new ride coming to Paris? Maybe even three rides...
  • Pandora: The World of Avatar: Again, another updated version of the land, with the Flight of Passage attraction, but NOT the Na'Vi River Journey attraction. Rumored to include the additions noted in the updates for the Animal Kingdom version of the land.
  • Avengers Campus: Another outpost of the Avengers campus would be in Shanghai Disney. This would be much bigger than the ones currently under construction.
Other ideas include the Mystic Manor attraction from HKDL, a Frozen Land, etc.

Let me know what you think below.

SweetDuffy101

Well its a not a rumor, Disney parks tends to have extra space for a second park in order to make it a full resort destination, and Dont expect too much because its just going to be a bunch clones crammed together.

RandySavage

That content is depressingly predictable, repetitive and boring - which makes it highly accurate to Chapek/Iger's vision for the parks (though it's been noted Star Wars is dead on the vine in China).

Hopefully, Iger/Chapek will be long gone before a 2nd Gate for Shanghai gets serious, and someone with a better vision for the theme parks division is in control of the company (consider how far out of Iger/Chapek's wheelhouse creating something like Animal Kingdom or DisneySea, let alone the original Epcot Center). Maybe then they will stop following Universal's model and become theme park originators once again.

Last edited:

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Well its a not a rumor, Disney parks tends to have extra space for a second park in order to make it a full resort destination, and Dont expect too much because its just going to be a bunch clones crammed together.

Yes, totally. I'm hoping that since Shanghai Disneyland was very innovative (Pirates, Tron, etc), I hope that we see more unique additions to this second gate if it were to come to fruition.

That content is depressingly predictable, repetitive and boring - which makes it highly accurate to Chapek/Iger's vision for the parks (though it's been noted Star Wars is dead on the vine in China).

Hopefully, Iger/Chapek will be long gone before a 2nd Gate for Shanghai gets serious, and someone with a better vision for the theme parks division is in control of the company (consider how far out of Iger/Chapek's wheelhouse creating something like Animal Kingdom or DisneySea, let alone the original Epcot Center). Maybe then they will stop following Universal's model and become theme park originators once again.

I completely agree with you- and I'm pretty certain Iger and Chapek will both be gone by the time this park gets announced. And I do hope it comes out as a unique idea.

I doubt a park that is a decade out would really have much in the way of lands decided.

All I know is that Shanghai Disney imagineers visited Pandora, and they were amazed with the design and the Flight of Passage ride, but not the Na'vi River Journey attraction. Additionally, Bob Iger teased an expanded Marvel prescence at Shanghai Disney in a Shareholders call, as reported on this forum.

lazyboy97o

All I know is that Shanghai Disney imagineers visited Pandora, and they were amazed with the design and the Flight of Passage ride, but not the Na'vi River Journey attraction. Additionally, Bob Iger teased an expanded Marvel prescence at Shanghai Disney in a Shareholders call, as reported on this forum.
Only a very small group of people are assigned to a park and they don’t actually get to decide what gets built. Most work on different projects around the world as they are occurring. That any group of Imagineers visited anything is rather meaningless as many are interested in seeing what’s new, and this is not just limited to what is new at Disney.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Only a very small group of people are assigned to a park and they don’t actually get to decide what gets built. Most work on different projects around the world as they are occurring. That any group of Imagineers visited anything is rather meaningless as many are interested in seeing what’s new, and this is not just limited to what is new at Disney.

True, good point.

PiratesMansion

They desperately need more capacity at their first gate before they should even be dreaming of a second.

Zootopia alone isn't going to cut it.

PiratesMansion

They really should be adding another 2 dark rides in Fantasyland.

They have so much empty space there right now.
And an infinite selection of movies to choose from

A railroad and Small World would also be easy ways to add capacity for relatively cheap. Why they've decided they don't need them is beyond me (Yes, they'd be shared with Hong Kong, but they certainly don't need to be clones!)

Timothy_Q

A railroad and Small World would also be easy ways to add capacity for relatively cheap. Why they've decided they don't need them is beyond me (Yes, they'd be shared with Hong Kong, but they certainly don't need to be clones!)
A railroad around the park?

That'd be incredibly hard and expensive to do now, considering it wasn't planned from the beginning

PiratesMansion

A railroad around the park?

That'd be incredibly hard and expensive to do now, considering it wasn't planned from the beginning

Well, that's kind of on them, isn't it?

I'll admit flat out that I know very little about what goes into railroad construction. HOWEVER, trains are hardly a new concept and have been built around the world for hundreds of years. While any earth moving they would need to do would probably be somewhat pricey, the train and track components wouldn't require them to reinvent the wheel. They don't even necessarily (and knowing modern Disney, probably won't) have to add any other themed elements into the ride itself (they certainly didn't in HK). Also, the cost of labor in China is decidedly cheaper than it is in the US.

Sure, the park is huge and there may be some things in the way that need to be worked around, but Disney did that to themselves by deliberately excluding a railroad when they built the park. It'd be an easy way to fulfill a necessary function (that park is HUGE and needs a transport ride desperately) and add a lot of capacity in one fell swoop.

And frankly I'm not convinced that it'd be more expensive than some ride requiring a massive show building or a roller coaster that Disney would more typically build unless they needed to do a ton of earth-moving to make the train work.

If nothing else, it'd HAVE to have higher capacity than most anything else modern Disney would be capable of building.

Timothy_Q

Well, that's kind of on them, isn't it?

I'll admit flat out that I know very little about what goes into railroad construction. HOWEVER, trains are hardly a new concept and have been built around the world for hundreds of years. While any earth moving they would need to do would probably be somewhat pricey, the train and track components wouldn't require them to reinvent the wheel. They don't even necessarily (and knowing modern Disney, probably won't) have to add any other themed elements into the ride itself (they certainly didn't in HK). Also, the cost of labor in China is decidedly cheaper than it is in the US.

Sure, the park is huge and there may be some things in the way that need to be worked around, but Disney did that to themselves by deliberately excluding a railroad when they built the park. It'd be an easy way to fulfill a necessary function (that park is HUGE and needs a transport ride desperately) and add a lot of capacity in one fell swoop.

And frankly I'm not convinced that it'd be more expensive than some ride requiring a massive show building or a roller coaster that Disney would more typically build unless they needed to do a ton of earth-moving to make the train work.

If nothing else, it'd HAVE to have higher capacity than most anything else modern Disney would be capable of building.
Again, nothing easy about adding a railroad around SDL.

There’s no easy route without making a ton of changes around the whole park.

Adding a ride to an empty expansion plot would be entirely easier and cheaper

PiratesMansion

Again, nothing easy about adding a railroad around SDL.

There’s no easy route without making a ton of changes around the whole park.

Adding a ride to an empty expansion plot would be entirely easier and cheaper

Based on what?

Sure, a flat empty piece of land is theoretically easy to work with. Beyond that, please explain why a railroad simply would not work.

Timothy_Q

Based on what?

Sure, a flat empty piece of land is theoretically easy to work with. Beyond that, please explain why a railroad simply would not work.
Go on google earth and try to find an easy path for a track around the park, plus stations connecting to the lands.

You keep calling it easy

PiratesMansion

Go on google earth and try to find an easy path for a track around the park, plus stations connecting to the lands.

You keep calling it easy

I never said easy to build, I said easy to fulfill a necessary function and add capacity.

If Disney could work with ~30,000 Acres in Florida and create something coherent, it theoretically should be able to build a train around a pre-existing park in China. I'm sure they won't, but surely they could. Remember when Disney was creative and seemingly welcomed challenges? When those same land and space challenges led to the creation of things like the drops on Pirates or the stretching rooms of the Haunted Mansion?

So they'd have to move some things or be creative. Nothing they haven't done before.

Timothy_Q

I never said easy to build, I said easy to fulfill a necessary function and add capacity.

If Disney could work with ~30,000 Acres in Florida and create something coherent, it theoretically should be able to build a train around a pre-existing park in China. I'm sure they won't, but surely they could. Remember when Disney was creative and seemingly welcomed challenges? When those same land and space challenges led to the creation of things like the drops on Pirates or the stretching rooms of the Haunted Mansion?

So they'd have to move some things or be creative. Nothing they haven't done before.
They definitely could buddy.
Neither cheap or easy tho.

IMDREW

Don't forget that SHDL also doesn't have a berm around the park, so a train would only see the backs of the buildings and backstage stuff on the other side. Not gonna happen.

PiratesMansion

Don't forget that SHDL also doesn't have a berm around the park, so a train would only see the backs of the buildings and backstage stuff on the other side. Not gonna happen.
Which is fixable, All I'm saying is that it COULD happen if Disney wasn't lazy and bad at planning.

The Grand Inquisitor

Yes, totally. I'm hoping that since Shanghai Disneyland was very innovative (Pirates, Tron, etc), I hope that we see more unique additions to this second gate if it were to come to fruition.

I completely agree with you- and I'm pretty certain Iger and Chapek will both be gone by the time this park gets announced. And I do hope it comes out as a unique idea.

What would a second Shanghai park feature for rides and lands? Would they have Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen, Pixar, and Fox properties?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom