Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Jrb1979

Good...now raise the rest of the lockdowns and you'll be living in reality. WDW is a MASSIVE operation and they are unfortunately unable to run at capacity. You know this. There is no comparison and it's a RIDICULOUS argument to say "well WDW has laid of more people, so opening was..." what, bad?

Healthcare workers have jobs like everyone else. If they have more to do, they'll fill more positions.

You have no solution. You'll lockdown until when exactly? We have to start the process of opening, just like WDW did. It doesn't go from 0-100 overnight, but you have to start somewhere. California is just gatekeeping and the costs are real, perhaps not as easy to track as the 2 numbers everyone watches daily.
We lockdown til ICUs are under control. Once they are under control you start with small businesses. Maybe by fall Disneyland will open.

Chef Mickey

Lockdowns do work. The problem has been all along is too many people don't care about others. All they asked us to do is wear a mask, do social distancing and avoid non essential travel. If you want to blame anything blame people for being people.
Yeah, this means lockdowns don't work. The struggle for people to understand is that it really doesn't matter why they don't work if they are ineffective in the end. You can't "make" people do something they've failed to do repeatedly and the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting it to work.

Chef Mickey

We lockdown til ICUs are under control. Once they are under control you start with small businesses. Maybe by fall Disneyland will open.
ICUs have been under control at many times and Disneyland remained closed. It also is ridiculous to assume cases would somehow be worse if it had been open since WDW opened, as an example, with appropriate precautions. California certainly isn't stop cases now with the existing approach. You're only doing "better" with death rates because of your younger population and the fact this isn't dangerous for young people. It's not because you're doing well at anything.

Jrb1979

ICUs have been under control at many times and Disneyland remained closed. It also is ridiculous to assume cases would somehow be worse if it had been open since WDW opened, as an example, with appropriate precautions. California certainly isn't stop cases now with the existing approach. You're only doing "better" with death rates because of your younger population and the fact this isn't dangerous for young people. It's not because you're doing well at anything.
First of all I am not from California. I live in Canada. We never opened any parks here.

Second IMO no amusement parks should be open right now as they encourage travel. WDW shouldn't be open either. When cases are as high as they are in the majority of states, IMO only essential businesses should be open. Everything else is pickup or curbside. I commend California for doing what they are doing.

BTW Mickey will still be there next fall when they may or may not open.

Chef Mickey

First of all I am not from California. I live in Canada. We never opened any parks here.

Second IMO no amusement parks should be open right now as they encourage travel. WDW shouldn't be open either. When cases are as high as they are in the majority of states, IMO only essential businesses should be open. Everything else is pickup or curbside. I commend California for doing what they are doing.

BTW Mickey will still be there next fall when they may or may not open.
Why are you commending them for taking away liberty and not controlling the virus? It's not working dude...it's a stupid policy. I've been on airplanes 6 times this year. You don't get sick because you travel...show me the evidence that's causing the spread. NO ONE completely understands the spread. If they did, California wouldn't have such trash numbers.

You're also completely ignoring the impacts of complete shutdowns of the travel industry, massive business like Disney, and other "non-essential" business. Who are you to say they should remain closed? We have liberties in America. The virus is out already and these restrictions haven't worked...at all.

In your world, you've basically ended the travel industry by closing them for the last, 9 months? With plans to re-open, when? These companies can't remain closed for years and be here when things are "fine" again. We HAVE to work toward opening business for the workers, for the people, for the economy, etc.

"Essential businesses" is a slippery slope. What is essential? How will those things be obtained, delivered, and replenished? LOTS of people are required to make even "Essential" business work. You also can't lock people in their houses. They go to a friend's house, family, etc...particularly when bored.

Unless you can VERY early on get this completely nipped or totally lie about your numbers, you aren't going to stop it later...we are later now. It's running its course. Luckily, we have a vaccine which is game over sooner or later.

Chef Mickey

Show me the evidence of why I should trust you vs. the CDC?

CDC reverses itself and says guidelines it posted on coronavirus airborne transmission were wrong​

CDC Now Says COVID-19 Isn’t Airborne Threat. Scientists Say That’s Wrong.​

CDC Report: Officials Knew Coronavirus Test Was Flawed But Released It Anyway​

CDC’s new Covid quarantine guidance criticized for addressing the wrong problem​

CDC technology was old, the data poor, the bureaucracy slow, the guidance confusing, the administration not in agreement.​

The CDC has been a joke this entire process, along with "No Mask" Fauci, the surgeon general, the president, the president-elect, the speaker of the house, Washington, and pretty much everyone involved.

Are you young and healthy? You'll be fine. The CDC data supports that. 100%

So yeah, traveling with precautions is not any riskier than going to a grocery store or your friend's house.

Jrb1979

Why are you commending them for taking away liberty and not controlling the virus? It's not working dude...it's a stupid policy. I've been on airplanes 6 times this year. You don't get sick because you travel...show me the evidence that's causing the spread. NO ONE completely understands the spread. If they did, California wouldn't have such trash numbers.

You're also completely ignoring the impacts of complete shutdowns of the travel industry, massive business like Disney, and other "non-essential" business. Who are you to say they should remain closed? We have liberties in America. The virus is out already and these restrictions haven't worked...at all.

In your world, you've basically ended the travel industry by closing them for the last, 9 months? With plans to re-open, when? These companies can't remain closed for years and be here when things are "fine" again. We HAVE to work toward opening business for the workers, for the people, for the economy, etc.

"Essential businesses" is a slippery slope. What is essential? How will those things be obtained, delivered, and replenished? LOTS of people are required to make even "Essential" business work. You also can't lock people in their houses. They go to a friend's house, family, etc...particularly when bored.

Unless you can VERY early on get this completely nipped or totally lie about your numbers, you aren't going to stop it later...we are later now. It's running its course. Luckily, we have a vaccine which is game over sooner or later.
In my world they give the tourism industry financial aid so they can survive the shutdown. They reopen when cases are under control to the point contact tracing is in place.

Second as far as people visiting others there is an easy fix. You do what is happening here, you fine them $880 for doing it.

We are locked down here again and only Grocery stores and pharmacies are allowed to be open for indoor business. Everything else is curbside or takeout. Its going to stay that way til the end of January.

Chef Mickey

In my world they give the tourism industry financial aid so they can survive the shutdown. They reopen when cases are under control to the point contact tracing is in place.

Second as far as people visiting others there is an easy fix. You do what is happening here, you fine them $880 for doing it.

We are locked down here again and only Grocery stores and pharmacies are allowed to be open for indoor business. Everything else is curbside or takeout. Its going to stay that way til the end of January.
Sounds very 1984. Disgusting. Governments have no money...they have to take it from taxpayers.

Jrb1979

Sounds very 1984. Disgusting. Governments have no money...they have to take it from taxpayers.
By fall the vaccine will be readily available and restrictions can start dropping here. By then amusement parks will be back to being open.

By doing what we have done here it's kept our ICUs from filling and people from dying.

Disstevefan1

Kirkman Road outside of UO is any typical tourist district. And yes, as you drive on Kirkman and get closer to Colonial it's not a great area. But your notion of Pine Hills being a few streets away from Citywalk and Citywalk being a "ghetto" are 100% false rhetoric to try and bash Citywalk.
Agreed, Pine Hills is bad, but I don’t think that effects Citywalk..

Miss Bella

So your answer is “sucks to be old or have a medical condition but I gots to get my dole whips cause I want to support the economy and keep the cm’s Employed. Rest In Peace though!”

Seems like a reasonable goal to me.
I wonder what the percentage of old people want the economy shut down and their kids and grandkids out of work. No old people I know and I come in contact with a lot of them... there's always the exception and some are on this forum. There's a lot more people out of work than just CM's at WDW. We haven't even begun to see the repercussions of this. People should prepare themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom